Choose style:

Author Topic: what if this function would exist (SOLVED)  (Read 271 times)

Offline pepperOS

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
what if this function would exist (SOLVED)
« on: August 06, 2019, 05:08:54 am »
Hello all there.
i am using Peppermint on all our computer/laptops and are very satisfied.
only thing i miss is some kind off script that would help installing to other computers easier.
a script that would register all installed software, maybe some settings and could run after a new installed peppermint.
say i would step up from peppermint 9 to the new 10, i would have to install everything again and than you have to restore all the documents and files you want to use again and saved before.

a automated script that would install all the software would save a lot off time (when i would do all my computers/laptops)

pleasant to say, a older neighbor of mine that can't live anymore with the o so slow win10 on his old acer has ask me to put Peppermint on his laptop (travelmate 5720)
« Last Edit: Today at 03:22:29 am by pepperOS »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: what if this function would exist
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 11:43:50 am »
As long as you're sticking to the default repositories you can already export your package markings from synaptic on one machine and import them into another .. if you start adding PPA's this becomes MUCH more difficult and prone to package/dependency conflicts.

IMHO, a better way would simply be to clone the HDD, but even that comes with some problems such as where you're cloning from a PC with say the proprietary nvidia drivers loaded onto a PC that doesn't have an nvidia card, and you need to understand these caveats.

I don't really see it as our responsibility to help people who don't understand the implications make a mess of their systems, and if we did we'd then have to support something that absolutely WILL cause problems for a lot of users.

In short, there is no 100% safe way to do this that fits all situations, there are already solutions out there to achieve this (to varying degrees of success) such as Aptik, etc. for those that wish to attempt it (and preferably understand the possible risks).

Like automated upgrades from one version of Peppermint to the next, we view this kind of thing as too risky for exactly the kind of user likely to use them in the first place .. those that don't fully understand the risks, the processes involved, the implications, and therefore have the knowledge to dig themselves out of a hole should things go wrong. They also encourage users to just cross their fingers and 'jump in' without properly preparing first .. someone who has to do a full install HAS TO think through what data is important to them and back it up FIRST, and which packages they want/need on the new system instead of just 'clicking and hoping for the best' and possibly ending up with bloat they may not have wanted or (as mentioned earlier) broken drivers, etc.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:45:26 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:48:32 am »
Hi pepperOS,

I know that this does not solve all of your desires when installing a new version of PeppermintOS, but it will at least save you from having to (as you said)
restore all the documents and files you want to use again and saved before.

The solution is to create and use a separate DATA partition for all of your personal docs, pictures, videos, downloads, music, etc. You can read how to do this in my tutorial that can be found here in our forum.  ;)   

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline pepperOS

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 09:42:29 am »
As long as you're sticking to the default repositories you can already export your package markings from synaptic on one machine and import them into another .. if you start adding PPA's this becomes MUCH more difficult and prone to package/dependency conflicts.
i will look in that, thank you

I don't really see it as our responsibility to help people who don't understand the implications make a mess of their systems, and if we did we'd then have to support something that absolutely WILL cause problems for a lot of users.
i  did not mean that it would be your responsibility, but sometimes people design something like mozbackup that worked very good on windows. and it could have been that someone did design something like a tool to  install the same software on multiple computers

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 03:03:56 pm »
IIRC mozbackup just backed up your firefox/thunderbird profiles .. this is super easy to do in Linux anyway, just copy your entire:-
Code: [Select]
~/.mozilla
directory to the same place on the new machine.

and if you want thundirbird too, copy the entire
Code: [Select]
~/.thunderbird
directory to the same place on the new machine.

But copy them across BEFORE having run firefox/thunderbird for the first time .. or REPLACING the default directories if you've already run firefox/thunderbird once (so the directoreis got created).

Those directories contain ALL settings/bookmarks/history/passwords/email/etc.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:06:53 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pepperOS

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 01:19:57 am »
Hi pepperOS,

I know that this does not solve all of your desires when installing a new version of PeppermintOS, but it will at least save you from having to (as you said)
restore all the documents and files you want to use again and saved before.

The solution is to create and use a separate DATA partition for all of your personal docs, pictures, videos, downloads, music, etc. You can read how to do this in my tutorial that can be found here in our forum.  ;)   

Regards,

-- Slim
i do use separate data partition, but its more the installation of all the software that i use, but thanks for the idea