Choose style:

Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to measure power (Watt) of the Peppermint 9 OS  (Read 213 times)

Offline carum carvi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
[SOLVED] How to measure power (Watt) of the Peppermint 9 OS
« on: August 08, 2019, 12:44:52 pm »
Hello everybody at Peppermint Forum,

I am a newbie, trying out Peppermint 9. I really like it untill now. I am trying to find an OS that uses the least amount of power (Watt), but is still user friendly. Peppermint has been advised to me and it works great.

My question: is there a program standard available in Peppermint9 which measures power in Watt? I see voltage, but no Watt analysis.

I have heard about Powertop and Tlp. (Tlp was very difficult, (CLI), in use I have read.) Powertop does give current power in Watt, but not over an average use of hours of laptop battery use. Measured with Powertop my laptop with Peppermint9 installed uses on average 12 Watt, when simply browsing this forum. That is comparable with other Linux OS. 

Has anybody got suggestions which program gives a good graphic analysis of Power in Watt?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 09:49:22 am by carum carvi »

Offline carum carvi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: How to measure power (Watt) of the Peppermint 9 OS
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 03:20:09 pm »
I have done a rather basic battery test with the Peppermint9 OS by simply surfing websites to see how long my laptop battery would last. It lasted 45 minutes longer on Peppermint9 OS compared to my other LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon OS.  That' s an impressive 30% increase in battery power. Very nice.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 03:27:36 pm »
You **might** be able to squeeze out a bit more with TLP
https://www.tecmint.com/tlp-increase-and-optimize-linux-battery-life/
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:34:04 pm »
I have heard about Powertop and Tlp. (Tlp was very difficult, (CLI) [...]

I recently installed TLPUI (GTK user interface for TLP written in Python) on my 32bit P10 powered Asus Eee PC netbook.

The install was fairly straight forward, if you're a GIT user; tweaking the config is a guessing game, but at least it has a gui interface (NO CLI).

I haven't had time to do any testing, but it *seems* like my rather weak OEM battery is lasting longer than before I installed TLPUI. It's a keeper...

BTW, welcome aboard, carum carvi  :)

Offline carum carvi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 09:44:02 am »
Thanks for both of those links. It gave me a better understanding what is possible in tweaking power management. And that seems to be quite a lot. Had no idea so many different parts of the computer were manageable for power consumption. I am still a complete newbie though and maybe I will try the GUI version of TLP,  because using terminal commands is out of my league.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 09:47:50 am by carum carvi »