Choose style:

Author Topic: Removing start menu icon  (Read 3299 times)

Offline mike.desmo

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5.0
Removing start menu icon
« on: August 19, 2014, 02:32:27 pm »
I removed chromium program using terminal, but the icon in the start menu remains. How do I remove the link/icon?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Removing start menu icon
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:08:49 pm »
Hi mike.desmo, how's it going?  Have you tried logging out and back in or,  you could run the following command in a terminal window.
Code: [Select]
lxpanelctl restart
This command appears to be a bit buggy with some people.  It can make the CPUs run at around 50%.  If that happens you have to restart.  I hope this helps, have fun  :)!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:48:16 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline mike.desmo

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:08:52 am »
Hi mike.desmo, how's it going?  Have you tried logging out and back in or,  you could run the following command in a terminal window.  Result is negative
lxpanelctl restart - Result is also negative
The chromium icon appearing does not hurt anything, it is a dead program, but was trying to clean up the menu.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:24:19 am »
Okay, try this one:
Code: [Select]
apt purge chromium-browser*

That should do a deep clean of anything to do with the Chromium Browser.  I hope this helps  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:30:54 pm »
Hello mike.demso,

First do what AndyInMokum says, and see how that works out for you.  It's a good idea.  And, if that does what you want, stop there, and do not continue with this post.  Pay no attention to what I have written below, for your mission will have been accomplished.   :)

However if you're still dissatisfied for one reason or another, here's something you can try.  But be forewarned:  you need the patience of a windmill here, as well as the delicacy of brain surgeon.  If you have those qualities then we're ready to begin!

Copy and paste this command into your terminal and then watch what pops up: 

gedit ~/.config/lxpanel/Peppermint/panels/panel

This gets you into your panel.  Find Chromium, chromium-browser, and again chomium-browser.

item {
       name=Chromium (remove this word)
       image=chromium-browser (remove this phrase)
       action=chromium-browser (remove this phrase)
}

Now if you want Firefox, or Maxthon, or Chrome instead of Chromium, replace what you just removed with these words and phrases.  Note what is capitalized and what is not. (Needless to say, you have to have installed these programs first if you want to replace Chromium with any of them.)

item {
       name=Firefox
       image=firefox
       action=firefox
 }

or

item {
        name=Maxthon
        image=maxthon-browser
        action=maxthon
}

or

item {
       name=Chrome
        image=google-chrome
        action=google-chrome
}

or

item {
        name=Opera
        image=opera
        action=opera
}

or

item {
       name=Iridium
       image=iridium-browser
       action=iridium-browser
}

Now click SAVE above within the box.  Now log out, and then log in.  The browser of your choice should now have replaced Chromium in the menu.

I'm assuming you'd like something there in the menu, just not Chromium.  I replaced my Chromium entry with Firefox, but I've done this with Chrome and Maxthon too before.

If you want absolutely nothing there, just remove the words and phrases, chick SAVElog out and then back in, and see what happens.  I've never tried having nothing there, but this should remove the entry anyway.  Now, if you start removing and changing everything, you'll make a mess of things, and you'll need to re-install.  That why we need delicacy here!  ;)

PCNetSpec warned me about removing Chromium about a year ago, but I didn't listen to him, and I learned the hard way that it is better to just keep Chromium installed and just add another browser, and then replace the entry in the menu as I have just shown you.  But, don't worry, everybody tries doing what you are doing in the beginning.  PCNetSpec lets us all experiment and make mistakes, and then he re-bandages us and put us back into the game again.  He's one of the field medics around here.  So don't worry about anything.  Have fun, but be careful.

Anyway, good luck, mike.desmo, and I hope the ideas presented here work well for you.

perknh
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:09:47 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline mike.desmo

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 06:33:33 pm »
Attempted terminal command apt purge chromium-browser*,  outcome negative.
Read the post by perknh, and although it makes sense, I elected to play it safe and leave this sleeping dog lie.
Thanks guys for all your assistance. :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 07:25:02 pm »
You're welcome, of course.  But, you'll start playing with this stuff one of these days -- we all do!

Removing a replacing the browser names and phrases is not so difficult.  It's when you start moving the symbols around that you begin grinding your teeth! That can happen when you go browser crazy and decide you want to list three browsers in your menu instead of just one.  That can drive you nuts -- trying to line everything up perfectly.

The simple trick is to install the browser that you want, and then replace the Chromium commands with the commands of the browser of your choice.  And then SAVE what you have just changed.  And then REBOOT, or LOG OUT, and then log in again.  After doing this you'll see your preferred browser in the menu.  It's really not that hard.  You just need to be a bit attentive.

But, don't worry about it now.  As long as you have a browser that you like working well, you'll be okay.  It took me a year before mac from this forum taught me how to customize my desktop, but I finally got a desktop configuration I'm happy with.  But, mike.desmo, I began working first with the menu just like you. 

Peppermint is fun, that's for sure.   :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:34:47 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum