Choose style:

Author Topic: (SOLVED) data recovery from a wd 160gb external hard drive?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline penrose1950

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64 bit
(SOLVED) data recovery from a wd 160gb external hard drive?
« on: August 19, 2014, 12:42:46 pm »
hello i leant my wd 160gb external hard drive to my daughter and her cleaner dropped it and i need to get the files off it,the other end of the usb lead has broken off but if i hold it on to the wd the blue light comes on and i can hear the disk spinning but it does not show up on my Acer Aspire 5536 laptop,does anyone please know of a way of getting it to show on my laptop as there are a lot t.v. programs on it which took me weeks and weeks to get?
thank you.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:16:56 pm by penrose1950 »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: data recovery from a wd 160gb external hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 12:51:56 pm »
Most external hard drives depending on their size, you can buy another case for it real cheap online...  I would remove the drive from that broken case and see what size and type of drive it is and purchase a new case for it.... chances are if it is spinning it is still working...  if you have a machine you can add the drive too to check out that fact before purchasing a case for it that would be my first choice....  example if it is large IDE or SATA drive, not a laptop drive, then if you have an old tower  add it to your tower and see if you can access it...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline penrose1950

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 12:58:40 pm »
i have the case for it,but it slides out of it,all i need is to be able to see it so i can copy the files to my laptop?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:12:49 pm »
As rjm65 suggested .. if the current case is damaged so you cannot connect the USB, you'll want a new USB HDD "enclosure" .. then remove the HDD from it's current case and install it in the new USB enclosure.

Either that, or yank the HDD from its current case and attach it internally to a PC.

Bear in mind that the HDD itself may be damaged from a drop .. so there's no guarantee here.

As you're in the UK, you want one of these:
http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive-Accessories/subcat/Caddies-&-Enclosures
but be sure to get the right one for the HDD .. as in SATA Vs IDE and 3.5" Vs 2.5"

Or even one of these, which I find VERY useful:
http://www.ebuyer.com/341689-startech-usb-2-0-to-sata-ide-adapter-usb2sataide
Not suggesting you buy this particular one .. you may find a cheaper one elsewhere .. just an example
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:24:06 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline penrose1950

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 03:14:52 pm »
thank you for all your help,i managed to connect it to my laptop by holding the usb connection but i cannot see anything as i think the hard drive is broken,i searched all my external drives and found i had copied the files to a cyclone drive so i am ok now.