Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases  (Read 9926 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: New Purchases
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 08:29:03 pm »
Hi VinDSL,

Thanks for the above post.  I had been on eBay looking for something like this when I discovered your post.

I know this would be only a guess, but do you think that with 1.4 GHz it would move as fast as Chromebook in a Wi-Fi location --such as in some café reading the news?

I could easily picture myself running Peppermint on a notebook computer like that.  And, WOW --what a price! :o

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 08:42:26 pm »
Soooo tempting !

LINK: http://www.sears.com/lenovo-x130e-core-i3-dual-core-1.4ghz-processor/p-SPM8084506208

These won't last long ...   :)
Wow, it looks like you're right.  The page is no longer available.  Talk about going like hot cakes  :o!!

I just treated myself to this baby: Refurbished Laptop - Dell Latitude E6410 - i5 - Windows 7/10 - Fully Loaded.  I think I got a great deal.  I'll ditch the Windows partition.  The wife can have the Windows disk and license.  I'm going to upgrade it to a 512GB SSD and max out the RAM to 8GB.  I think it should go like a rocket.  I want it ready for Peppermint Seven  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 09:16:53 pm »
Well, my friends, I bought one.  That's the best online deal I've seen yet.  I'm certain Peppermint will work fine on that little machine.

Thank you, VinDSL ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:21:09 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 09:33:57 pm »
Well, my friends, I bought one.  That's the best online deal I've seen yet.  I'm certain Peppermint will work fine on that little machine.

Thank you, VinDSL ;)
That's a sweet little machine.  Peppermint will go like a bolt of lighting on it.  I do HIGHLY recommend you replace the HDD with an SSD.  The performance increase and battery savings will be really noticeable.  Plus it makes the machine far more robust.  A well setup and tweaked SSD will last many times longer than a HDD.  Expect at least 10 years plus, even with heavy use  ;).

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 10:54:29 pm »
Hello AndyInMokum,

That's an excellent idea.  My question is, how?  I know anything done at my local computer shop costs a minimum of $100.  I am a mechanical klutz --and that's an understatement!  That said, I've love to learn how to a remove and install a hard drive on a laptop.  An SSD, from what I've read, helps to greatly speed things up on a laptop.

Thank you for the idea,

perknh

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 02:39:23 am »
Hello AndyInMokum,

That's an excellent idea.  My question is, how?  I know anything done at my local computer shop costs a minimum of $100.  I am a mechanical klutz --and that's an understatement!  That said, I've love to learn how to a remove and install a hard drive on a laptop.  An SSD, from what I've read, helps to greatly speed things up on a laptop.

Thank you for the idea,

perknh
It took some digging around and I found a maintenance manual: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/493679/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X130e.html?page=55#manual.  The section you're looking for starts on page 55 and ends on page 60.  The link I've provided, opens on page 55.  It's really very simple to do and should take around 10 mins to complete.  The manual is very detailed and gives factory settings, like the torque on retaining screws.  Let common sense prevail here  ;).  On page 50, there's a notice about removing an SD card if it's installed.  It's unlikely to be installed with your purchase but check anyway.  You may get lucky and find one  ;D.  It's something you may want to install for yourself anyway. It could be useful.  That's it.  It's not hard to do at all, I suggest you do it in a well lit area on a tray with raised edges.  Use empty, labeled margarine containers or something similar for the screws. 

I would definitely do the upgrade.  The Lenovo X130e is already built like a tank.  The weakest link is the HDD.  Swapping that out for an SSD will make the laptop near to indestructible.   You'll not regret doing it and you'll save yourself a $100 in the process - have fun  ;)!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:49:52 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2016, 12:55:01 pm »
I would definitely do the upgrade.  The Lenovo X130e is already built like a tank.  The weakest link is the HDD.  Swapping that out for an SSD will make the laptop near to indestructible.   You'll not regret doing it and you'll save yourself a $100 in the process - have fun  ;)!!

Hello AndyInMokum,

Thank you for finding that maintenance manual, and pointing me in the right direction here.  I'll need to purchase the right screwdriver(s), purchase an SSD, and look to see if there's an SD card inside.  This little notebook computer is going to be my first experiment swapping out a hard drive, and I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Thank you very much, Andy. ;)

perknh

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2016, 02:16:43 pm »

Hello AndyInMokum,

Thank you for finding that maintenance manual, and pointing me in the right direction here.  I'll need to purchase the right screwdriver(s), purchase an SSD, and look to see if there's an SD card inside.  This little notebook computer is going to be my first experiment swapping out a hard drive, and I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Thank you very much, Andy. ;)

perknh
It's my pleasure mate  ;).  Getting some screwdrivers is a good idea.  Better than battling with a butter knife, (there's a pure Frisian word for you).  Don't go overboard, just buy a set of good quality electronics screwdrivers, nothing too fancy.  The swapping over of the drives is really easy.  After you've done it once, you'll be able to do it blindfolded the next time.  When you've done it all.  Let us know if you need help setting up and tweaking the SSD  ;).

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2016, 09:51:37 am »
I've just bought one of these:

http://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-x8-dual-boot-mini-pc-2gb-64gb.html

I'm going to have a go at installing Ubuntu on it - ;D

Is there any chance of being able to get Peppermint on it instead, either the current or the next version?  :-\

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 04:08:00 pm »
Can't see why Peppermint 6 wouldn't install (if Ubuntu 14.04 will) .. it's x86
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
    • Quora
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 and 7
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2016, 02:01:20 am »
I've just bought one of these:

http://www.pipo-store.com/pipo-x8-dual-boot-mini-pc-2gb-64gb.html

I'm going to have a go at installing Ubuntu on it - ;D

Is there any chance of being able to get Peppermint on it instead, either the current or the next version?  :-\

Wow, that looks fun!!  :)
BTC Donations: 1rAZZNAkKp3GS4uc15YsbSxSPnFbfErt6

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2019, 01:01:24 pm »
I bought this on eBay about a week ago -- a Lenovo Chromebook MediaTek MT8173C 14" 4GB/32GB Laptop.  The reason why I'm mentioning this purchase is because I found a couple of unusual/interesting things about it:

Of course being a Chromebook, it comes with Chrome OS, but I never would have imagined it would be a 32-bit version of Chrome OS. :o  The only reason I can come up with as to why Google/Lenovo would be running 32-bit is probably because of app support.   What if you want to run an app on the Chromebook that is only 32-bit?  I can't think of another reason.  I know the older MediaTek MT8173 processor supports 64-bit.  I'm assuming the newer MT8173C processor must too.  All that said, I do find this a bit odd. :-\

The second thing I noticed it that stable version of 32-bit Chrome OS on the Chromebook is just a smidgen more up-to-date than the 64-bit version of Chrome in either Windows or Linux.  For instance, if 64-bit Chrome within Peppermint is Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit), the 32-bit version is Version 75.0.3770.129 (Official Build) (32-bit).  I find this to be a bit odd too. 

Truth is, I didn't even know that Chrome had 32-bit versions of its browser any longer.  Maybe browser no, but OS yes? :-\  I don't really know what to make of all this -- other than it's interesting.  But for $100 and 14.99 for shipping, I knew I have to grab it -- even if we haven't used it yet. ;)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2019, 08:05:26 pm »
Nice! I need to buy a Chromebook, someday. Never had one.

I own several 32bit machines, and they do everything I need them to do.

Yes, it seems a bit odd, but the thought of having another 32bit machine around wouldn't bother me.  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2019, 11:13:45 pm »
Yes, it seems a bit odd, but the thought of having another 32bit machine around wouldn't bother me.  ;)

Here's my best guess as to why it's 32-bit.  I bet this will be the last 32-bit Chromebook I see.

Android apps must have 64-bit support by August 2019

By Jon Fingas for endgadget

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/19/android-apps-must-have-64-bit-support-by-august-2019/

Chromebooks are pretty much maintenance free.  They take as much time for their initial setup as it takes to set up a browser -- maybe a minute or two. Then, after that, you just sign in and use them.  BUT, unlike Peppermint, Ubuntu, Mint, etc., once their EOL comes, you can't just replace the OS with another Chrome OS.  No, they want you to buy another Chromebook.  Maybe you can replace Chrome OS with CloudReady (Chromium OS), but maybe not.  From what I've seen with CloudReady, most likely not.

Chrome OS is great when it comes to security.  The OS is cloud-based and you've got Google protecting your data.  As for privacy?  According to Google much data gets anonymized over time.