Choose style:

Author Topic: ICE leaves me cold and confused...(SOLVED)  (Read 289 times)

Offline SomeDudeInAZ

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
ICE leaves me cold and confused...(SOLVED)
« on: July 18, 2019, 12:50:19 pm »
HI Folks,

First let me compliment both the Devs and main website design team. Very nice and informative. And you folks here in the forum have been a great resource too (I've been reading lots, even though I just created my account this morning...)

I am confused about the ICE application/framework. And unfortunately my search fu hasn't helped.

What is it's purpose? Other than skinning a browser and creating profiles why use it? Does it offer me a security benefit over just creating different profiles? Does it run the browser in a sandbox isolated from other browsers and the OS as a whole?  Why not just use a portable browser?  If I install twitter ::blech:: in one and facebook ::double blech:: in another do they even know of each other's existence? Can they run simultaneously?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any docs that answer these types of questions. And I really don't have the time to dig through the code. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:38:53 pm by SomeDudeInAZ »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: ICE leaves me cold and confused...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 02:51:24 pm »
In your example, if you were using Firefox SSB's (or choosing isolated profiles in chrome/chromium SSB's), the Facebook and Twitter SSB's would be completely unaware of each other (running in separate instances with separate profiles) and hence more secure.

Ice allows:-

a) us to have functional 'applications' on the LiveUSB/LiveDVD without actually having to make locally pre-installed software choices for the user .. it's our ethos not to make these choices wherever possible.
(I've always hated having to uninstall applications chosen by distro devs WAY more than installing my own choices .. ICE allows having say an office suite available but without actually having anything 'installed')

b) users to add (or remove) web applications and integrate them into their system menu in as easy a way as possible, and have them 'behave' more like a local app.

c) to have isolated profiles for specific web pages allowing addons specific to that page .. for example for banking you may not want the same addons you use in your main browser, you may not want the main browser profile to remember your banking password (or even ever see it), and you may not want the banking SSB to use Firefox Sync, etc.

ICE is about offering OPTIONS .. Is it of use to everyone?, NO, but then we're not trying to force its use on anyone, if you don't like it don't use it .. it's no more for everyone than any other application/utility can be.

Example use cases...

i) Wanna give a PC to your grandparents who don't understand the dangers of the web .. why not set up an isolated SSB for their banking site, and tell them "wanna use banking, click this icon" (after maybe copying the icon from the menu to the desktop) .. the SSB will have it's own profile, run in its own window, be isolated from other browsers and SSB's, and be stupid simple to explain/understand.

ii) Personally I have a few web radio stations as SSB's .. easy to fire up, single purpose, and my main browser addons don't interfere with them.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:00:11 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Pepper9

• Peppermint OS: Rest for the weary.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 03:01:33 pm »
I use SSB's all the time, huge fan. I've created a bunch and use them every day, sometimes for days on end without closing and it never fails me. Actually, I prefer SSB's over the main browser for reasons mentioned above.

Then again, I am a VERY LAZY user in terms of updating, restarting or even logging out of my machine and Peppermint is the ONLY distro I know of which lets me be what I am LOL. It just keeps on going and the SSB's are my personal main attraction.  :D
If it ain't broke.........

Offline SomeDudeInAZ

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:38:31 pm »
Thank you folks. I appreciate it.

Now to go play...

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: ICE leaves me cold and confused...(SOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 11:02:33 pm »
Originally, Kendall & Shane explained that ICE was about not allowing one crashing website to take down all the other tabs you may be working in concurrently down with it... I think we've discovered the security benefits along the way since then.

Also, nice to have at least three Pepperminters from Arizona in the forums now, welcome!
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 12:04:36 pm »
Ice Ice, Baby....  ;D

My workflow is greatly improved with Ice.  I'm also feeling a little more secure with my MeWe and Facebook ssb's, both made with Firefox.

Offline SomeDudeInAZ

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 02:38:37 pm »
Ice Ice, Baby....  ;D

My workflow is greatly improved with Ice.  I'm also feeling a little more secure with my MeWe and Facebook ssb's, both made with Firefox.

Dat's my plan
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 06:56:57 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Whoopsie Daisy »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 01:15:50 pm »
When we decided we were gonna go on vacation @SomeDudeInAz, I set up all of the related travel websites in ICE , so that fb, ggl and deh twttrs can't start showing me billions of travel related ads & sites. It's just nice having each website "containerized" in my view of the world. I've also begun realizing how nice it is to have a separate set of bookmarks that are solely related to the site.
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 04:29:55 pm »
Cool thinking spence :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec