Choose style:

Author Topic: Question on Ubuntu-report & popularity-contest **Solved**  (Read 300 times)

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
Question on Ubuntu-report & popularity-contest **Solved**
« on: July 11, 2019, 06:48:53 pm »
Hi Team!

One of my followers pointed these 2 installed on Ubuntu systems and they are in the Pepp.  What's your opinion on them?  Spy ware or just ways to help the Ubuntu team?

Hello Steve: I had someone tell me if you using a Ubuntu Based Distro use Synaptic and search for: Ubuntu-Report and remove that file asap as it collects collects metrics so I remove it off my system it is just one file but I think it is important to remove wanted to pass that onto you my friend!

there is another file that reports what software you use its called popularity-contest I just removed that using the terminal sudo apt remove popularity-contest
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:23:37 pm by stevesveryown »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Question on Ubuntu-report & popularity-contest
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 02:33:48 am »
Hi

The Ubuntu Report simply provide Canonical with information regarding Ubuntu version https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/this-is-the-data-ubuntu-collects-about-your-system
OEM/Manufacturer - Device model number - BIOS info - CPU details - GPU details - Installed RAM - Partition Info - Display(s) details - Auto-login status - Live Patching status - Desktop environment - Display server - Timezone

I do believe it does this once.  No personal Data or IP address is captured.

The Popularity Contest however is continuous https://popcon.ubuntu.com/- "The popularity contest project is an attempt to map the usage of Ubuntu packages. This site publishes the statistics gathered from report send by users of the popularity-contest package. This package sends the list of packages installed and the access time of relevant files to the server weekly. Every day the server anonymizes the results and publishes this survey."
Now the fact that it says it "Anonymises" the data suggest personal information is picked up along with the App data.  Debian also use this tool but you get an opt out option during install if you read it.

With this additional information (Please correct me [anyone] if I am wrong) you are able to make a more informed choice about whether you wish to uninstall it or not.

Regards Zeb...

PS EDIT: - you heard it from the man himself in the post below. These are NOT in Peppermint by Default.  Thank You PCNetSpec for clarifying.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:13:23 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 08:45:04 am »
What makes you think popularity-contest and ubuntu-report are installed in Peppermint ?

Because they're NOT by default.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:46:48 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:55:13 am »
I checked in synaptic and they show installed. When I get home tonight, my time, I'll take some screen shots. I'm not all paranoid about it like most, just curious.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:02:11 am »
I checked in synaptic and they show installed.

Well you installed em then because on my machine (running Peppermint 10 since the day it was released, and fully updated):-
Code: [Select]
mark@E6520 ~ $ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Peppermint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Peppermint 10 Ten"
mark@E6520 ~ $ dpkg -l | grep popularity-contest
mark@E6520 ~ $ dpkg -l | grep ubuntu-report
mark@E6520 ~ $

And from a fresh Peppermint 10 install in a VM (and fully updated):-

[EDIT]

Have you installed any of the following which would have pulled in ubuntu-report as a dependency (rdepends for ubuntu-report):-
  ubuntu-desktop
  ubuntu-mate-desktop
  ubuntu-mate-core
  lubuntu-qt-core
  lubuntu-gtk-core
  lubuntu-core
  ubuntu-report:i386

and these that would have pulled in popularity-contest as a dependency (rdepends for popularity-contest):-
  debian-goodies
  neurodebian-popularity-contest
  ubuntu-standard

I can find no single package that would cause them both to be pulled in at the same time  :-\

[EDIT2]

At the end of the day, check what would be done by uninstalling them with a simulated run:
sudo apt-get remove --purge --simulate ubuntu-report popularity-contest
and if it looks safe, remove them with the same command minus the --simulate option.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:07:12 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 10:29:23 pm »
I'm embarased. I looked tonight and they were not installed.  I swear when I looked in synaptic they were both marked green.  I think what threw me was the pink 'star' next to it.  What does that star mean?

Anyway,  :-[

BPP should be OPP, Old Poppa Peppermint, can't see, read or type anymore........  :'(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 11:40:08 pm »
The column in synaptic that contains (or not) the pink star (in the default icon theme) denotes the package as "Supported".

All packages in the Ubuntu "Main" and AFAIK "Restricted" repositories are 'supported' (and hence have pink stars), those in "Universe" and "Multiverse" are not (so don't).

I would assume "Supported" in this context means supported directly by 'Ubuntu' rather than third party software such as (for example) GIMP, and packages from PPA's, etc.
(but don't quote me on that)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:55:00 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 03:55:17 pm »
The column in synaptic that contains (or not) the pink star (in the default icon theme) denotes the package as "Supported".

All packages in the Ubuntu "Main" and AFAIK "Restricted" repositories are 'supported' (and hence have pink stars), those in "Universe" and "Multiverse" are not (so don't).

I would assume "Supported" in this context means supported directly by 'Ubuntu' rather than third party software such as (for example) GIMP, and packages from PPA's, etc.
(but don't quote me on that)

Thanks for the explaination!