Choose style:

Author Topic: Default mouse behavior  (Read 381 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Default mouse behavior
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 06:04:25 pm »
Try running
Code: [Select]
xinput set-button-map "Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)" 1 0 3
OR
Code: [Select]
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 0 3"
The first option would be better because it disable the middle mouse button JUST for the Microsoft Mouse .. the second option disables the middle button on ALL mice/touchpads/pointing sticks/etc.

To re-enable, just replace 1 0 3 with 1 2 3 in the commands.

Also be aware these won't survive a reboot (they'll need to be re-entered), but if they work and you're happy with either as a solution, we can autorun it at login.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 06:13:49 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline John Jenson

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 07:25:46 pm »
The first one worked and the new setting actually did survive a reboot. They probably use NVRAM in the mouse.

So does this mean that this clipboard functionality is built into the mouse and isn't configurable in software? I do use the middle button occasionally in certain software. Does this mean my only option is to get another mouse?

Offline John Jenson

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 07:47:30 pm »
According to this post https://www.ghacks.net/2006/09/11/copy-paste-with-middle-mouse-button/

I received an email some days ago from a reader who wanted to know if there was a program for Microsoft Windows operating systems that replicated the middle mouse functionality of Linux systems.

If you click on the middle mouse button on a machine running a flavor of Linux, you copy the text that is selected, and if you middle-click once again while a form or text field is active, it is automatically pasted into it.

This is the exact feature I'm talking about. So is this functionality built into Peppermint? If it is, there should be a way of disabling it without turning off the middle mouse button.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 09:13:35 am »
It's built into Gtk, and AFAIK can only (now) be disabled via a patch to the source code .. something we'll not do (on our own) as that would make a large proportion of Peppermint diverge from upstream libraries with possible unforeseen implications.

I'd agree that Gtk should probably provide an easier method for disabling, but that's something you'd have to take up with Gnome.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline John Jenson

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 02:49:27 pm »
Okay, thanks for all your help. At least I can now switch this off when I need to.