Choose style:

Author Topic: trying to trim down Peppermint's footprint...  (Read 212 times)

Offline ssybesma

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9 (64-bit)
trying to trim down Peppermint's footprint...
« on: July 18, 2019, 10:58:50 pm »
I'm using Peppermint on an Intel Compute Stick with 8GB of storage space and 1GB of RAM.

It's the only Linux distribution I've successfully been able to use on this because it's not too bloated, but still useful.

I went to the package manager and put everything that was installed in order of size so I could start uninstalling stuff I don't need.

Besides uninstalling the Firefox package I uninstalled the Peppermint-artwork package thinking it sounded unnecessary.  Artwork, right?  Not exactly, I guess.

Now I get a plain login on the left side halfway down that says  "Failed to start session" when I enter my username and password.  If I put no password or incorrect password, then it says "Invalid password, please try again".

Is there a way to back out of this and what packages do you suggest are safe to uninstall.  About 200MB (modest amount) of stuff would be nice to get rid of.

My MAIN purpose for this is to run only one program called MPrime which looks for Mersenne Primes. I want as much of the system resources to be dedicated to that one program as possible but I need a thin solution that allows me to remote into it as well. A thin browser is also a bonus.

It will be headless (no monitor or other peripherals attached).  I'm using wifi to connect to my network/internet.

Thanks for any suggestions you have to maximize the little resources I have on these.

I have 12 of them (got 'em very cheap) and once I have a reliable working image I will use Clonezilla to create an image and clone the rest.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: trying to trim down Peppermint's footprint...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 11:08:51 pm »
GtkOrphan is your friend, until it isn't.

It's available in Universe...  8)

Offline ssybesma

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 11:13:45 pm »
Didn't have it already, so used:  sudo apt install gtkorphan

Once installed you think it is orphaned files causing the problem or does the Peppermint-artwork have to be reinstalled?

Thanks,

Steve
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:17:29 pm by ssybesma »

Offline ssybesma

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 11:21:22 pm »
Got a "Gtk-WARNING cannot open display" error when I tried running from Terminal.

I had to use Ctrl+Alt+F3 to open a terminal window since I could not log into the session the 'normal' way.

Offline ssybesma

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 11:45:03 pm »
sudo apt install peppermint-artwork seems to be reinstalling it so I'll see where this goes from here...I recall a couple options when I did that which may have done too much and so I'll try again without those if I can log in again

Offline ssybesma

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 11:51:31 pm »
Didn't work...I'll just wipe the drive and start from scratch.