Choose style:

Author Topic: Mint Blog post... mentions something about SNAP  (Read 512 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
Mint Blog post... mentions something about SNAP
« on: July 08, 2019, 07:43:25 am »
This was posted July 2 2019. It's long but search for chromium and this will get you to the quote below:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/

Ive been invited to participate by the Snap developers and Im hoping one day well be able to integrate snap into Linux Mint. Although Im worried about the impact on the market, I think snap could work both as a client and a file format, if it didnt lock us into a single store. You might wonder why Im so outspoken about this all of a sudden. Theres a certain sense of urgency which demands action on our side. Ubuntu is planning to replace the Chromium repository package with an empty package which installs the Chromium snap. In other words, as you install APT updates, Snap becomes a requirement for you to continue to use Chromium and installs itself behind your back. This breaks one of the major worries many people had when Snap was announced and a promise from its developers that it would never replace APT.

Do you guys think Ubuntu will eventually replace  APT... :-\

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: Mint Blog post... mentions something about SNAP
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 12:49:49 pm »
The problem if they replace APT with say sudo snap install, you'll be waiting forever cause snap packages are way too big. Or on the other hand they would not be known as a Debian ish base system anymore, they'll be known as Ubuntu based on snap. If they were to move the whole thing over to Snap, they would have to reduce the file size down, cause at the moment it takes and downloads way too big a file, when a normal deb or tar.gz file takes no time at all. you will also see a lot of people going away from a Ubuntu based system altogether, to Arch or full on Debian, as in my own opinion Canonical will shoot themselves in the foot, if they go ahead with Snaps as a substitute for the Deb file install is now. If that makes sense?

Also where will Peppermint go to? As I know Mark surely would not put up with his Beloved OS running slow, after all the work he has put in, to make it as fast as humanly possible for us all to use. I certainly will not put up with it, they seem to make some weird decisions at Canonical and like the old saying goes why try to fix it, if it ain't broke in the first place? Makes me mad when they introduce stuff, that could potentially break everything else. Linux is about choice after all and it has taken not just myself, but many, many people years to finally settle on an OS that does everything, they chuck at it. I think really that Peppermint will stay with Deb/APT and not bother with Snaps, whether or not Linux Mint and other Ubuntu based OSES would do the same I have no idea, but I for one hate Snap packages and wish to God they were never invented, cause once they are introduced to a novice of Linux, a lot of the time the app they install this way does not work anyway. It makes me want to  :'( every time something Canonical introduces to Ubuntu or announce, like no more support for 32bit. I used to look up to them, but not anymore as the decisions in my opinion that they have made of late are bad ones. Sorry for the novel but needed to get it off my chest.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:01:48 pm by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada ms.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:42:53 pm »

Whenever possible, many of us here at Peppermint have decided to adopt a just-say-no approach to using Snaps or Flatpaks.  If we find we do need to install something outside of our local repository, we generally prefer installing packages through deb files over using Snaps or Flatpaks.  Now as to how long we'll be able to maintain such an approach, however, is an unanswered question.

Funny thing is though, I don't see the Linux community going gaga over Snaps or Flatpaks.  I just don't see it.

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 03:38:25 pm »
Funny thing is though, I don't see the Linux community going gaga over Snaps or Flatpaks.  I just don't see it.

No like I said they will move over to full on Debian. I've just downloaded XFCE Debian Buster to have a gander at. Still have my Peppermint 10. I have a icy dock on my new build and some extra 250GB SSD drives to use, so thought I'd have a look at Buster.  ;D

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 05:48:26 pm »
Hi clatterfordslim & perknh,

I feel the same way. And if Canonical/Ubuntu goes that Flapjack way then I'm out of here (unless PeppermintOS rejects this nonsense and somehow remains independent of this stupid trend -- but I am confident that PCNetSpec will not adopt this Flapjack approach to packaging).  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada ms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 07:37:18 pm »
... but I am confident that PCNetSpec will not adopt this Flapjack approach to packaging).  ;)

Me too! ;)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 04:43:59 am »
... but I am confident that PCNetSpec will not adopt this Flapjack approach to packaging).  ;)

Me too! ;)

Me Three  :D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 10:02:16 am »
I know you're all likely waiting for input from me...

At this point all I can do is echo Clems concerns (which I wholeheartedly agree with), and respond to if/how/when this plays out .. anything else would be conjecture, and I'm not an Ubuntu hater hungry to spread mistrust for the sake of clicks.

Yes I'm looking at you <name removed> (and your YT commentors) .. spreading bullsh*t about 'evil' Ubuntu user tracking .. you do realise you're spreading this crap on a platform specifically designed to enable Google to track users across the web, build user profiles, target them SPECIFICALLY,  and sell the profiles to third parties (as opposed to Ubuntu only tracking non user specific Ubuntu usage data, that can easily be turned off) .. I'd say your choosing to distribute/monetise via YouTube is a conscious decision on your part that your own viewers privacy doesn't matter to you .. "glass houses" ring any bells.

YouTubers moaning about Ubuntu and privacy .. pure hypocrisy ::)

(sorry folks, had to get that off my chest)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:53:16 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 07:50:52 am »
Well said....  ;)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:09:32 pm »
Occasionally I just lose it :))
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:13:48 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 02:00:57 pm »
I truly wish you would lose it more often and more publicly.  You have an ability to get to the nub of the matter and put forth a reasoned and passionate view about things that a lot of us in here agree with too.

Maybe it's time to break out that twitter account and let people have both barrels and enjoy your insight.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 06:18:53 pm »
My mouth has gotten me into trouble too many times.

I nearly wrote that as "my mouth has bitten me in the ass too many times" but upon reflection....

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 01:12:30 am »
Now that there, is some agility  :D
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 06:07:51 pm »

I nearly wrote that as "my mouth has bitten me in the ass too many times" but upon reflection....

There's something zen about that...

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada ms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 09:39:37 pm »

There's something zen about that...

Yep, there's haiku in there somewhere... ;D