Choose style:

Author Topic: Linux Mint user, thinking of converting to Peppermint  (Read 299 times)

Offline jeffpas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Linux Mint user, thinking of converting to Peppermint
« on: July 07, 2019, 03:43:10 pm »
Have had Linux Mint for about 5 years, to be honest I have had it with the OS.   Little things keep happening, for instance I log in and my desktop suddenly changes, or all my customizations/shortcuts reset.   I have turned all updates OFF, but they still keep happening.

I just want a simple operating system to use the Internet and run my programs, I don't want continual updates and changes from Picasso developers, etc.   Is this my place, or should I move on?  If so, how difficult is it to convert.   If not, can you point me in the right direction.   Thanks!

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Linux Mint user, thinking of converting to Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 04:38:28 pm »
I just want a simple operating system to use the Internet and run my programs, I don't want continual updates and changes from Picasso developers, etc.   Is this my place, or should I move on?

Sounds like Peppermint would be a good candidate. Let me put it to you this way...

I have several bots running 24/7/365 on Peppermint. I almost never update the 'Master Cylinder', if you will. Only time I update it is when something stops working - usually the Chromium browser.

Let's see how many updates are recommended...

Yup! Looks like I had to update Chromium in Dec, 2018 & March, 2019. Last system updates were done in March, 2018.

As I type, there are 398 updates awaiting MY approval. Maybe I'll install them next year, or not.

Does that answer the question?

BTW, welcome aboard,  jeffpas.  :)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 04:45:56 pm »
Damn it @VinDSL...
...that's like the opposite of a rolling release system  :D
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 04:47:26 pm »
We won't change anything in the users home folder post install, nor are we likely to change any system-wide theming post release.

Disabling the updater (mintupdate) should stop ALL automatic updates (not that we'd advise that though because you'd forgo security updates too), but at no time should ANY updates be installed without your specific permission to do so.

That said, AFAIK that should also apply to Linux Mint .. so having no idea what's happening on your system and why, it'd be foolish of me to make any guarantees.

As for:-

how difficult is it to convert

I'd expect pretty easy as we're both Ubuntu based, and we share quite a few components.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 05:20:16 pm »
Damn it @VinDSL...
...that's like the opposite of a rolling release system  :D

I love breakage, but not when I'm 2000 miles away. Been there, done it; got the badge and lanyard to prove it.

The box I'm on, right now, is a 'rolling release' experiment. I update it almost daily, but haven't restarted it in 78d 2h.

That said, I still have to initiate the updates...

I can't think of anything (off the top of my head) that updates automagically in Peppermint   :-\
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:26:35 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline jintymac

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 07:48:09 pm »
As a recent convert from Mint to Peppermint I have to say that I love this version of linux.

I have 2 lenovo thinkpads running peppermint 10.

An 8 year old x220 with i5 2.5ghz, 8gb of ram and a 240gb ssd which runs fast and smooth. This previously ran Mint xfce which I liked but when I tried peppermint I just preferred the layout of the system and how things ran. It took hardly any time to get used to the new system after a quick rummage through the menus.

I also have an X1 Carbon 5th gen (2017) i7 model with 16gb of ram and a 512gb ssd which previously ran Mint Cinnamon. I wanted to see how fast it would run on peppermint after the success on the x220. Cinnamon ran very well on this machine as it is more powerful, but the lightweight peppermint just feels more sleek and much smoother (which is understandable).

The only problem I had on both machines was screen tearing (with the intel graphics) but there is a quick fix you will find on this forum which takes seconds to implement if you need it.

The only thing I removed were the included ICE apps as I didn't need them. The software installation methods are the same as Mint whether you use the software manager or the terminal so you will feel right at home.

Give Peppermint a try, I'm sure you won't be disappointed  :D

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 12:28:20 am »

The box I'm on, right now, is a 'rolling release' experiment. I update it almost daily, but haven't restarted it in 78d 2h.

Hmm...
...in which case, you're still running the kernel that was current >2 months ago.
Or am I missing something here?

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 07:07:22 am »
Hmm...
...in which case, you're still running the kernel that was current >2 months ago.

Nope, you got it  :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:40:20 am »
The only way a Linux Mint Desktop or any other Linux can change themes and things, is if you have someone else sharing the same account as yourself and they are changing it around. If you do come over to Peppermint and this is the case of someone else using the same account as yourself and where the hell are the commas don't forget to breathe whilst reading this as I'm getting out of breathe typing it. Hurray a fall stop or period as Americans call it.

Create a separate account for them.  ;D You will love Peppermint I guarantee it, as all my computers apart from one has Peppermint 10 on and everything just works out of the box.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:43:25 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 03:34:51 pm »
Hmm...

Nope, you got it  :)

There is such a thing as kernel live patching, so that wasn't necessarily the case ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 05:21:42 pm »
kpatch allows to apply, for example, security updates. But, as far as I'm aware you can't fully replace the kernel.
Or, am I wrong?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 05:30:07 pm »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 07:17:40 pm »
I run an older ver on that box anyway, so it's a moot point, I suppose

Sent from my Android One Moto X4 using Tapatalk

Offline St.Raphael

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 11:07:22 pm »
Hello, Just made the switch over to Peppermint 10 From Linuxmint and first time in a forum so go easy on me. Want to thank Mark for the help on making a change that i could not figure out and i gave  a little donation to the team for beer. That was funny Kendall :) So i wish everyone all the best and look forward to learning alot from the pros. Peace St.Raphael

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 11:14:20 pm »
Welcome aboard, St.Raphael  :)