Choose style:

Author Topic: Printer for PM9  (Read 227 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Printer for PM9
« on: July 04, 2019, 10:09:57 am »
Haven't been on this forum in a while, generally just extremely content with desktop and laptop systems running PM9.

I've chosen for quite a while, now, not to have a printer. I use it so rarely that it seemed best just to print over at the central library a few blocks from here. But now it seems like I'm printing things (typically it's some sort of return label) more frequently, and maybe it'd be easier to have a printer at home. I had a Samsung wireless laser printer that just stopped working. I had it printing via Google Cloud Print as opposed to computer operating system. That worked for a while and then. Yeah, not so well. I was printing things so rarely, like I said, that I simply tossed the printer and decided $0.10/copy at the library was a fine deal.

But... if I were to get another printer... I've heard that HP printers are generally Linux compatible. I'm not sure whether I'd get ink jet or laser. I guess what I was thinking was something cheap to print an occasional mailing label, that sort of thing. I'm not sure I care about wireless. It could have a cable. I don't care whether I can tap my phone or teach it to sit up or roll over, or whatever. The main idea would just be to not have to walk over to the library every time I want to print a  shipping label.  I was looking at this one, which I presume would even come with deluxe ink and power button. Would I be able to find the drivers to run this printer on PM9? (10, 11, etc)

https://www.amazon.com/HP-DeskJet-Compact-Printer-F5S23A/dp/B013SKI4QA/ref=sr_1_7?crid=WH7Y0X2Y7NKJ&keywords=printers&qid=1562248470&refinements=p_89%3AHP&rnid=2528832011&s=office-products&sprefix=printer%2Cfashion%2C176&sr=1-7

I'm also certainly open to suggestions. Thanks.

APPENDED: quite frankly I don't even care about color printing. B/W works.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:13:07 am by cfx795 »

Offline drkmttr

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Ten
Re: Printer for PM9
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 11:46:19 am »
I don't know about HP printers but my Brother laser printer has worked well for me. They even have Linux drivers available to download on their site. They're a bit more expensive but I prefer laser over inkjet because the ink cartridge lasts much longer and I find the print quality to be much nicer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ1CLTI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_V2HhDbBABG3XN

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 12:06:46 pm »
I don't know about HP printers but my Brother laser printer has worked well for me. They even have Linux drivers available to download on their site. They're a bit more expensive but I prefer laser over inkjet because the ink cartridge lasts much longer and I find the print quality to be much nicer.

Thanks. Do you have this up and running on some version of Peppermint? I imagine if they have Linux drivers, they probably have them for Ubuntu/Debian, which probably work for Peppermint. (Just a guess.) Yeah I had a laser printer and it did produce sharp printouts. Until it died. I'm also imagining that you might get a more full-featured printing experience hooked up to a usb-cable than with wireless, but maybe I'm wrong.

Realistically I'm probably going to upgrade to PM10 pretty soon, I doubt that will make much dif - PM9 vs PM10.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:09:28 pm by cfx795 »

Offline drkmttr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 01:12:58 pm »
Yep, I'm using the printer with PM10 and it works well. My laser printer is wireless.  :)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 05:46:36 pm »
I don't know about HP printers but my Brother laser printer has worked well for me.

Brother printers rawk!

I bought a Dell E310DW (basically a rebadged Brother HL-L2370DW) a couple of years ago. Love it! *

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-E310DW-Wireless-Monochrome-Printer/dp/B00YDG3HFC

Brother and Peppermint espouse the same ethos - simple and free of clutter  8)

* No, I didn't spend $300 USD, just to have the "Dell" moniker on it.  I ran across a smoking deal for $39.99 USD  LoL
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 05:50:23 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again »

Offline drkmttr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 07:24:39 pm »
Agreed! I've had mine for quite some time and it's still kicking. I think mine is an HL-2270DW which they probably don't sell any more.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 08:48:03 am »
Personally I'm an HP (inkjet) or Samsung (laser) fan .. my one experience of Brother wasn't a good one, but I should add that was that long ago I was on Windows (XP IIRC) at the time.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 10:39:19 am »
I've been using HP printers lately, mainly because they are inexpensive and easily installed in Peppermint. But I have had problems with them lasting very long. The one I had prior to the current one lasted a little over a year and then started printing a little blurred. My current one is having problems with the scanner, scans to a faded yellow tone background instead of white. I'm looking at a Cannon printer for my next one, more expensive but with an ADF which I need to scan legal size document.
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 03:13:33 pm »
I must admit I haven't bought an HP for some time now (I've switched to mono lasers as I have no need for images) .. HP printers USED to be well built, but I guess everything can change :(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec