Choose style:

Author Topic: Minimal specs for a server  (Read 2710 times)

Offline stew1411

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Minimal specs for a server
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:15:21 pm »
Hello all,

I am looking at building a media server for my house. I have a program called Universal Media Server (UMS), and its great. Windows, Mac, and Linux support.

I have it on my main computer right now, which is a little inconvenient. So I want to build a machine dedicated for this purpose. I've used peppermint on several lower spec machines, and it runs great. I know peppermint would fly on newer hardware, as I'm looking to get a new i5/AMD quad laptop for peppermint, but that's beside the point.

My main question is what would everyone recommend for a peppermint server build? I would prefer to keep it AMD, as I've always had good luck with them, they are my favorite brand. Dual vs quad core? I'm thinking 8 GB ram minimum. Also, I would want it to be configured for raid. Not sure if I'm looking at a motherboard that supports raid natively, or getting a raid enclosure.

Offline stew1411

• View Profile
Re: Minimal specs for a server
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:44:11 pm »
I've done some thinking. My current PC build is a stock HP upgraded to a 3.8 GHz quad core with 4 GB of ram and a higher mid range graphics card. I'm thinking about building a new rig with an AMD fx 8 core, and just pulling the graphics card from the HP. So that would leave a quad core with 4 GB ram and onboard video for the HP. Would that suffice as a peppermint server?

Offline schmitzr1984

• nOOb
  • Less is more
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4 and 5
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 06:58:00 pm »
For what it's worth, I've used my wifes old computer as a media server which only has a dual core AMD processor and 4GB of RAM, this setup works OK for streaming movies/shows while hosting a minecraft server for a few friends. I'd say my biggest bottleneck with my current setup is the processor, a quad core AMD processor and 4GB of RAM should work great! :)

Out of curiosity what are you planning on doing with your media server?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:03:33 pm by schmitzr1984 »

Offline stew1411

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:18:28 pm »
I would store all my music and TV shows/movies and then any other device in my house would act as a client to stream to

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:11:56 am »
For simple streaming you wouldn't need a high spec machine .. converting on the fly (transcoding) might, but then a i5 with 4GB would be considered high spec anyway (this aint windows) :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:14:07 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stew1411

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:46:41 pm »
Well I do believe it converts. My buddy built a windows server with ums, and he can play mkv, iso, and everything on other computers, ps3, Xbox, and his roku. It makes all files compatible for consumer devices.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 07:38:34 am »
In either case an i5 should be plenty for a home server, I suppose if you have a TON of devices all streaming at the same time more RAM can't hurt, but truthfully I think network bandwidth would probably be the bottleneck here not CPU or RAM so improving them would have zero effect on streaming.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec