Choose style:

Author Topic: Broken USB Port 3.0  (Read 819 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Broken USB Port 3.0
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 03:07:26 pm »
Question .. is the USB port that's left USB 2 or USB 3 ?

It's a USB 2.

Just remember USB 3.0 is backwards compatible but USB 2.0 isn't forwards compatible .. so a powered USB 3.0 hub will be useable in all circumstances.

Unpowered USB 2.0 will only be useful for low powered USB 2.0 attachments.

As these things are all pretty cheap I personally would be thinking of a powered USB 3.0 hub, it can still be used as an unpowered USB 2.0 hub, but the same can't be said the other way around.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 03:26:01 pm »
Just remember USB 3.0 is backwards compatible but USB 2.0 isn't forwards compatible .. so a powered USB 3.0 hub will be useable in all circumstances.

Unpowered USB 2.0 will only be useful for low powered USB 2.0 attachments.

As these things are all pretty cheap I personally would be thinking of a powered USB 3.0 hub, it can still be used as an unpowered USB 2.0 hub, but the same can't be said the other way around.

That's a great idea, PCNetSpec. Will do. ;)

And to everyone here:  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  The heck with putting $100 into a $200 +/- computer because one little USB port bit the dust. ::)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 06:16:58 pm »
Went with this one because of its good reviews.  Should be getting it in the mail in about 9 days.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391963099313

@VinDSL

Walmart's 2.0 USB Hub here in Nuevo Hampshire is going for around $8.88, and the 3.0 for just under $20.  I told the sales clerk I knew for a fact that Walmart had better prices than this online. ;)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:21:40 pm by perknh »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 07:04:41 pm »
@VinDSL

Walmart's 2.0 USB Hub here in Nuevo Hampshire is going for around $8.88, and the 3.0 for just under $20.  I told the sales clerk I knew for a fact that Walmart had better prices than this online. ;)

Yup, there are all sorts of games one needs to play, at Walmart. They're playing you, so you might as well play them too - or let 'em bend you over the counter and enjoy being screwed.

I won't bore you with all the various details, but often you are better off ordering things online, and having them 'delivered' to your local store - even if the items are sitting on shelves in your local store, and available for same day pickup. Playing this game often saves you big bucks on things like (say) car batteries.

Price-matching is another trick, and all depends on the store manager. Some will price-match, some won't. I got a $75.00 refund on the last TV I bought at Walmart. The dummies price-matched themselves. But, I said I wouldn't bore you with all the details.

Suffice to say, getting the best prices at Walmart is often like playing 3D Chess  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 07:28:19 pm »
Though that 'says' powered:-

Features:    Powered

I'm not seeing an included power brick (for if/when you need to power it).

I hate it when they pull that bulls**t .. without an included power brick is ISN'T %@$^ing 'powered' is it  >:(

[EDIT]

In fact non of the pics even show a socket for an 'aftermarket' power brick .. so more like a blatant lie than a misrepresentation.
(still that's grounds for a return if you want .. at least it would be this side of the pond)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:38:10 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 08:18:46 pm »
Though that 'says' powered:-

Features:    Powered

I'm not seeing an included power brick (for if/when you need to power it).

Package Included:
1X 4 Ports USB 3.0 Data Hub
1X User Manual

No, it looks pretty basic.  Didn't it say somewhere that it was powered by a cable?

Here it is:
USB Hub 3.0 powered With 15cm USB 3.0 Cable

Clearly they're using the word powered quite loosely! ;D

I didn't even think to ask here about the hubs I saw that came with a power charger.  My mistake.  Maybe I didn't end up making such a great purchase after all, :-[ That said, the USB 2.0 and 3.0 hubs I saw today had Walmart didn't appear to have power bricks included either.

Thank you, guys.  I'm still learning about this stuff. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:23:10 pm by perknh »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 08:40:10 pm »
I'm *guessing* this hub will have a VIA VL812 5V DC-DC switching regulator inside.

PICS: https://news.softpedia.com/news/VIA-Announces-New-USB-3-0-Hub-Controller-265784.shtml#sgal_0

If so, you should be okay, as long as you don't try to charge batteries (such as a cell phone) using the hub ports.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 08:54:49 pm »
I'm *guessing* this hub will have a VIA VL812 5V DC-DC switching regulator inside.

PICS: https://news.softpedia.com/news/VIA-Announces-New-USB-3-0-Hub-Controller-265784.shtml#sgal_0

If so, you should be okay, as long as you don't try to charge batteries (such as a cell phone) using the hub ports.

Phew -- interesting find!  I hope you're right.  Thanks, VinDSL, and thanks for mentioning the cell phone too.  I won't try charging it with it.