Choose style:

Author Topic: Xfce Power Manager Blank Screen  (Read 473 times)

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): I've used 4,5,6,7,8,9
Xfce Power Manager Blank Screen
« on: June 30, 2019, 01:40:07 pm »
inxi -Fz
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
inxi -Fz
System:    Host: MPC Kernel: 4.18.0-25-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: N/A
           Distro: Peppermint Ten
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASRock model: H97 Anniversary serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: P1.70 date: 03/07/2018
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-4370 (-MT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3800 MHz 1: 1509 MHz 2: 1557 MHz 3: 1681 MHz
           4: 1361 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.1 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop version: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.8
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.18.0-25-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 628.1GB (8.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_840 size: 128.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST500DM002 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 117G used: 9.1G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 188 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 882.4/7672.5MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56
[close]

Late last week installed P10 on my desktop that was running P9 r2. After getting it all set up I clicked on the power manager to set it up the way I had in the past. Under the general tab Power button pressed is Shutdown. Sleep and Hibernate is Do Nothing. Under System tab: Sleep Never  Under the Display tab: Display Power Management turned on, Blank after 30 minutes, Put to Sleep after and Switch Off after both Never.
I then went to do something else that took longer than 30mins. When I came back the screen was blank as it should be. When I touched the space bar or the left or right mouse buttons the desktop did not come back. Pressed the restart button and when P10 came back I changed the Blank After to 1 minute and turned off Display Power Management button. After one minute screen went blank and I could not get it back with keyboard or mouse. This time I restarted using Ctrl+Alt and Delete, arrow down once, then pressed enter. P10 restarted. Waited another minute. Screen went Blank. Again no recovery from keyboard or mouse. This time I opened a terminal Ctrl+Alt+T. Now remember the screen is Blank as in Black. I typed  on the keyboard "sudo service lightdm restart" ,enter, and then entered my Password. The screen came back on.

I shutdown completely and inserted the live USB with Peppermint 10. I set it up the same way as above. After one minute the screen went Blank and would not recover with mouse or keyboard.
I shutdown completely again and inserted a live USB with Peppermint 9 r2. I set it up the same again. After one minute the screen went Blank but this time it came back with just a touch of the mouse. I waited another minute, screen went Blank then came back with a touch of the space bar.

Any ideas on how to correct it? I tried removing Light Locker and Light Locker Settings and no Joy

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 08:58:31 am by Ralph »
A little knowledge is dangerous, I'm proof of it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Xfce Power Manager Blank Screen
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 10:25:21 pm »
Possibly a kernel regression (though it could equally be a regression in the updated hwe-18.04 xorg stack).

You have 2 options you could try

a) move to the 5.0 kernel by moving to the hwe-18.04-edge track
(this may or may not work)

or as it's known to work with the 4.15 kernel from Peppermint 9

b) Install Peppermint 9, then follow the manual upgrade instructions but without moving to the hwe-18.04 track.
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.msg86655.html#msg86655
(this should work, but obviously requires a reinstall)

It may be that we can downgrade all the hwe-18.04 stuff (including the xorg stack) back to those from Peppermint 9 without reinstalling, but there are risks. Let me know if you wanna try this.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:49:16 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 06:31:25 am »
I was thinking at first this might be a bug. Looking at the possible solutions maybe not. Possibly something on my end like hardware.
Here's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to trouble you with this further. After all you do all the work. I just copy and paste.  I can always go back to P9r2. It works just fine and I don't see much difference between the 9 and 10. I think for now though I will just leave it as it is and turn off all Display settings. The monitor will never go Blank not a big deal. Maybe after a month or two and a few updates it will work again.

Thanks again for taking the time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:36:32 am by Ralph »

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 08:53:48 am »
I downloaded Peppermint 10 again. I made another USB live install media. Checked the md5sum and the sha256sum and they matched the download. Put both live USBes into three completely different machines at different times of course. . (1 desktop 2 laptops different manufactures)  I set everything up as before and I got the same results as the original post.
Am I doing something wrong?
Could someone else setup a live USB and see if you get the same results?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 09:46:48 am »
Currently I can't replicate your experience on my Dell E6520 (in an installed Pep10, not a LiveUSB) .. I'll try it on something else as soon as I get time.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 08:42:35 am »
Here's all I need to do to replicate the blank screen not responding to a keyboard or mouse touch.
With Light Locker installed--- open Xfce Power Manager settings by right clicking the tray icon---> a Desktop has 4 tabs and a laptop will have 5 tabs---> General,System,Display,and Security. with the laptop adding Devices----> Open Display Tab----> Set Blank after to 1 minute---> Open Security tab---> Set automatically lock the session: Never. After one minute,I will not be able to come out of the blank screen unless I restart or blindly restart the lightdm service.

The Security tab ---> offers 3 choices under Automatically lock the session. If I choose anything other then "Never" Peppermint reacts as one would expect that is i get a locked screen and I need to login.  If I remove Light Locker altogether I still have the issue as if the Security--> Automatically lock the session was set to Never.

I have replicated this on a Dell E5530, a Dell E6440,an Asus K55A, and two Desktops using 2 different Live Peppermint 10.iso install media USB sticks. Certainly someone else has this issue. I can't believe i am the only one and I have 5 bad machines reacting the same way.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 03:19:13 pm »
Is this only in a LiveUSB 'Live' session, because I still can't replicate it on an installed Peppermint 10 ???

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 03:41:32 pm »
Using the OP machine that is a desktop. yes. Both Live and installed. With and without light locker,  All other machines just the Live session.

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 09:06:14 am »
FWIW, I did an manual upgrade from 9 to 10 on my Dell E 5530 laptop following these instructions. https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.0.html      I stopped short of installing HWE 18.04. I checked to see if it performed as in the original post.  It worked just as it did in Peppermint 9. (A-OK)  After several reboots and things looking good I decided to try the HWE 18.04. It was no surprise that it was the cause of this issue. After all, before installing I was warned that it could break something and it did. Sort of. With that warning in red why put it on P10 Live. I'm not educated on this but could HWE be optional during install.

I still can't fathom why the Live session, that I downloaded twice from the Peppermint website and everyone else downloads from,would cause this issue on 5 different computers. Two of them Dell laptops not far off from what PCNetSpec runs. I am also surprised that none of the other moderators have not chimed in. If nothing more then to say there Live Session does not have the issue. How can the Live Session not work on 5 different computers and I am the only one this is happening to in all of Peppermint land.  If this isn't a bug what would you call it.

I realize this is not a big deal. Just put Peppermint 10 power management in Presentation mode and problem solved. Maybe in the future it would be corrected.
I would suggest to anyone that wants to move to Peppermint 10 to make sure that the Xfce Power Manager works for you while using the Live Session  before installing permanently.   

I am going to put 9.2 back on the laptop and this desktop and do a manual upgrade to 10.  Peppermint 10 does have some good stuff about it. Like it picked up my Network Attached Store out of the box.
If this rant reads like I'm irritated I'm not. I like this OS very much. I just want it to be the best.  Thank you and all for making it happen.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:09:49 am by Ralph »

Offline Peppermint

• nOOb
  • don't eat me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 10:01:54 am »
FWIW, I did an manual upgrade from 9 to 10 on my Dell E 5530 laptop following these instructions. https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.0.html      I stopped short of installing HWE 18.04. I checked to see if it performed as in the original post.  It worked just as it did in Peppermint 9. (A-OK)  After several reboots and things looking good I decided to try the HWE 18.04. It was no surprise that it was the cause of this issue. After all, before installing I was warned that it could break something and it did. Sort of. With that warning in red why put it on P10 Live. I'm not educated on this but could HWE be optional during install.

I still can't fathom why the Live session, that I downloaded twice from the Peppermint website and everyone else downloads from,would cause this issue on 5 different computers. Two of them Dell laptops not far off from what PCNetSpec runs. I am also surprised that none of the other moderators have not chimed in. If nothing more then to say there Live Session does not have the issue. How can the Live Session not work on 5 different computers and I am the only one this is happening to in all of Peppermint land.  If this isn't a bug what would you call it.

I realize this is not a big deal. Just put Peppermint 10 power management in Presentation mode and problem solved. Maybe in the future it would be corrected.
I would suggest to anyone that wants to move to Peppermint 10 to make sure that the Xfce Power Manager works for you while using the Live Session  before installing permanently.   

I am going to put 9.2 back on the laptop and this desktop and do a manual upgrade to 10.  Peppermint 10 does have some good stuff about it. Like it picked up my Network Attached Store out of the box.
If this rant reads like I'm irritated I'm not. I like this OS very much. I just want it to be the best.  Thank you and all for making it happen.
If you don't need more help/your problem is solved, add to the title (solved)
nobody ever thinked about the namesnipe "Peppermint" lol

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 12:56:58 pm »
I am also surprised that none of the other moderators have not chimed in. If nothing more then to say there Live Session does not have the issue.

Speaking for myself...

No, I've never had this issue with a Live Session, and I've left Live Sessions running for days on end, when I'm burning-in new machines.

Also, I don't lock the screens on any of my devices - I don't even lock my cell phone. I've been doing this stuff since well into the last century, and I never seen the point in it. False security is worse than no security.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 02:48:16 pm »
I think the problem here MIGHT be that it's rare for people to use power management in a 'Live' session .. hence the low number of responses.

and (like myself) commenting on behaviour from an installed system would likely give different, invalid, and confusing results.

Suggesting people check how power management works on a LiveUSB and extrapolate from that how it would work on an installed OS would not IMHO give an accurate picture (in either direction) as an installed OS would have its own swap partition/file and likely a lot of updates (including kernel and xorg updates) that may fix/break things.

Please also remember, it's not the resposibility of forum moderators to attempt to replicate user issues (unless they have the time and/or inclination to do so), they are not paid technical support staff .. they are unpaid volunteers who's only obligation is to moderate the forum and keep it clean and friendly :)

Please understand I'm not having a go here, I just don't want the moderators who give their time freely to have any guilt laid at their feet.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 03:00:43 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 09:31:35 am »
First of all, I want to apologize if I may have offended any or all moderators and administrators. I am truly sorry. My typed words did not reflect my intentions. Please accept my apologizes.

From Windows 98se to 10 and from Peppermint 4 to Peppermint 9.2 turning the monitor off after a certain length of time has been a function I have used. With Peppermint 10, I can set it up to turn off the monitor and it will turn off the monitor, but it will not come back to the desktop when I touch the keyboard or touch the mouse pad or mouse clickers.

I have downloaded Peppermint 10 twice from peppermintos.com. I have made 2 live usb sticks using peppermint image writer, I have installed Peppermint 10 twice on each of 2 completely different machines.( one laptop,one desktop)  I have the same results from both the live or installed and updated Peppermint 10. I have wrongly assumed that if I got the same results from 2 iso on 2 different usbs, on 2 different machines with both the installed and live session, that maybe something is wrong somewhere and maybe someone would like to know.

The main feature of Peppermint 10 is "Kernel 4.18.0-18 which is now on the rolling hwe-18.04 track so will eventually roll onto the 5.xx kernel automatically as the HWE is updated upstream and the updated xorg stack". I believe the rolling hwe-18.04 is the problem and is probably not correctable from here. As it stands right now I can use it but I have to turn off the functionality of turning off the monitor. Easy enough to do and it may come to that.  Other than that everything seems to work just fine.

This is a great forum with great people and I truly apologize if I offended anyone.
Sincerely,Ralph

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 04:30:55 pm »
So far I've tried this on 2 laptops and cannot reproduce what you're seeing (both installed OS's though), I'll try it on a desktop as soon as I get a chance

But as I can't reproduce the issue I'm either not doing something you are, yet I'm fairly confident I'm accurately following your steps to reproduce .. or it's hardware/configuration specific, a distinct possibility as neither of the 2 laptops I tested were using the modesetting driver .. and this does kinda feel kernel/xorg related if restarting lightdm gets the desktop back up.

If I had to guess, I'd agree, most likely a regression in the 4.18 kernel and how it interacts with the HWE xorg stack .. and if that guess is correct, there's little we can do about it short of possibly moving you to the 5 series kernel early.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:34:44 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec