Choose style:

Author Topic: Used Rufus to put Peppermint 10 on USB, changed boot order, screen is blank  (Read 225 times)

Offline mll6

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this. I was hoping to install Linux to bring new life to my aging laptop. I followed the guide to downloading and installing peppermint 10 (https://peppermintos.com/guide/downloading/). I used Rufus to create the ISO on a USB and changed the boot order so it goes first but nothing happens. I get a black screen. When I remove the drive, I'm taken to Windows 10 and the computer operates normally. What did I most likely do wrong and how can I try to fix it?

Thank you
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:41:36 pm by mll6 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Well, your method for creating the Live USB is solid, Rufus always works for me. So, the problem is likely a boot setting.

With a lot of computers, you can hit a key during the boot splash (usually F11 or  F12) to do a one time boot of something like a flash drive. It will override the UEFI/BIOS settings for that session only, then revert back when you reboot. That's what I do when I want to boot from a flash drive.

Offline mll6

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Well, your method for creating the Live USB is solid, Rufus always works for me. So, the problem is likely a boot setting.

With a lot of computers, you can hit a key during the boot splash (usually F11 or  F12) to do a one time boot of something like a flash drive. It will override the UEFI/BIOS settings for that session only, then revert back when you reboot. That's what I do when I want to boot from a flash drive.

Do you have any suggestions as to why I get a backlit black screen when I boot from the flash drive? It doesn't go to Windows unless I take the flash drive out, so I know it's following the boot order properly. When I try to hit the key at the boot screen the computer does nothing. If the flash drive is out and I try hitting the key during the boot screen, it still goes straight to windows, which is why I went into the settings to access BIOS to change the boot order in the first place. Also when I go into the settings and tell the computer to boot from a bootable media, it doesn't recognize the USB drive, so I think it may be an installation error.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:27:58 pm by mll6 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
I don't know why it's doing that without knowing more about your setup. My best guess is that you're trying to do a Legacy BIOS boot on a UEFI system and the computer doesn't know what to do with it because it's in UEFI mode. The last time I had an issue like that, that's what was causing it. I've gone through some major headaches due to Windows 10 and the whole UEFI/Legacy BIOS thing.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Can you give us the make/model of laptop ?

And have you got another PC you can try booting the LiveUSB with .. just to test whether it's the LiveUSB or not ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mll6

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I don't know why it's doing that without knowing more about your setup. My best guess is that you're trying to do a Legacy BIOS boot on a UEFI system and the computer doesn't know what to do with it because it's in UEFI mode. The last time I had an issue like that, that's what was causing it. I've gone through some major headaches due to Windows 10 and the whole UEFI/Legacy BIOS thing.

There is something about UEFI when I change the boot order. I can't restart my computer right now to check because I'm currently recreating the ISO with Rufus and the computer is slow so it's taking forever. My setup is out of the box Windows 10 on an entry level laptop. There was room to add an additional SSD, which I did. I botched a hard drive clone so the new SSD is now awkward, mostly unusable dynamic disk space (I'm pretty sure that's a separate problem but if you know a way I can fix that without downloading paid versions of disk management/partitioning software I would love to hear about it)

How did you end up resolving the issue with UEFI mode? Is this a problem that every windows 10 user encounters?

Thank you again

Offline mll6

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Can you give us the make/model of laptop ?

And have you got another PC you can try booting the LiveUSB with .. just to test whether it's the LiveUSB or not ?

It's a Lenovo Ideapad 100s 14IBR. I'm currently recreating the ISO with Rufus on the USB in case it was messed up the first time. I'm beginning to suspect it's not a LiveUSB because when I went to select bootable media from the Windows settings menu, it didn't list the USB as an option. However when I went into BIOS and changed the boot order, it listed the USB. When Rufus finishes running this time I can test it on another PC although the set up would be similar, a few-year old base model Windows 10 laptop. I'll let you know what the results are.

Thank you

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
A quick look arond the web suggests a LOT of people have problems booting that machine from USB.

There's a thread over at the Mint forum that suggests some BIOS settings that allowed it to boot from USB.

CONFIGURATION:
USB Legacy - Enabled
Wireless - Enabled
Hotkey Mode - Not relevant
Intel Virtual Technology - Enabled
BIOS Flash Back - Disabled
SECURITY:
Intel Trust Platform Technology - Disabled
BOOT:
Boot Mode - Legacy Support
Boot Priority - UEFI First
USB Boot - Enabled
PXE Boot To LAN - Disabled
EXIT:

People also seem to have problems booting Win7 from a USB stick (found on some discussion on the Lenovo forum, but now I can't find it again).

There's also the fact that I own a Lenovo Ideapad 100S-11IBY, and that's one of those odd machines that whilst having a 64bit capable CPU requires a 32bit UEFI bootloader (and there's no legacy BIOS boot option would you believe ::)) .. if the info on the Mint forum is correct I doubt this applies to the 14IBR though, but if it does I have a premodified version of our ISO with the 32bit EFI bootloader (and some other tweaks) for the 11iBY.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the 100S-14IBR requires a 32bit UEFI bootloader (which our default 64bit ISO doesn't have) .. but unlike the 100S-11IBY it can also be booted in Legacy BIOS mode (which should work with our 64bit ISO).

Is this gonna be a dual boot setup (Peppermint + Win10), or JUST Peppermint ? .. if dual boot and Win10 is installed in UEFI mode I may need to give you my custom ISO, if JUST Peppermint you should be able to use the above settings to switch to Legacy BIOS mode.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 07:20:36 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline carlz

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Fedora has solved the problem of booting a 64bit linux from a 32-bit boot loader.  Would it be possible to get the 32bit boot loader patch put onto the Peperement ISO?   

I would rather use an installation that was designed to run on a low power machine.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
I can give you a link to a custom Peppermint 9 ISO I created that has a 32bit bootloader .. you could then follow the tutorial to manually upgrade it to Peppermint 10

interested ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec