Choose style:

Author Topic: Alesis multimix USB audio device and pulseaudio  (Read 1560 times)

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Alesis multimix USB audio device and pulseaudio
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:52:09 pm »
I have an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 mixer. I have never been able to get it working in Linux. It's entirely possible it just won't work, that seems to be the consensus on the few discussions I've seen about it elsewhere. Alesis does not provide Linux drivers or support for their devices in Linux.  I am undaunted, however. Before I purchase a new mixer (I've heard the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 will work with Linux), I'd like to try to get the one I have working in Linux.

At the moment, I'd just like pulseaudio to recognize it so I can select it as an output device. As of now, it does not show up in the pulseaudio gui. There's no in principle reason why it shouldn't work, though. The output of lsusb shows it:

Code: [Select]
 Bus 002 Device 008: ID 13b2:0030 Alesis Multimix 8 

However, it doesn't show up when I issue the command
 pacmd list-cards 

I have tried re-booting the computer, as well as restarting pulseaudio with:
pulseaudio -k
but neither had any effect.

Some people have suggested it may work using jackd, but the device also does not show up as an option for output devices in QjackCtl.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to stick with pulseaudio, if possible (I have tried ALSA in the past, and it didn't detect the MultiMix either, plus I just don't like ALSA in general).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:00:29 pm by xanadu »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Alesis multimix USB audio device and pulseaudio
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »
I seriously doubt if you'll get this working, the only info I can find suggests the USB 2.0 version isn't supported at all:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/hardware_support
(about 3/4 way down that page)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Re: Alesis multimix USB audio device and pulseaudio
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:25:35 pm »
Yeah, I was afraid that is the case. Guess I'll look into buying a Linux-compatible USB audio interface one of these days.