Choose style:

Author Topic: 32 bit Petition  (Read 914 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: 32 bit Petition
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 07:47:27 am »
Or as I said, maybe something they've planned from word one as a way to push snaps.

Announce it, wait for the furore, then sell snap as the SOLUTION to a problem that never really existed .. it all feels somewhat suspect to me.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.....

[EDIT]

snap would NOT be a solution, if the 32it libs are added back only as a snap only snaps would be able to access them properly.

It's only be a half solution to a problem they themselves created.

[EDIT 2]

Over the years I've been a staunch supporter of Ubuntu, championing all they've done for Linux even in the face of (understandable) community disenchantment at some of their design decisions. I felt even if you didn't like some of their choices underneath they were an honest company that deserved respect for helping drive Linux as a whole .. I must say I'm QUICKLY loosing faith in that position, and I don't like it one bit. Ubuntu NEED to start communicating their intentions more clearly, they're now quickly loosing the trust of their staunchest supporters too :(

Canonical/Ubuntu .. loose trust, and you've lost EVERYTHING .. if your core 'believers' (the people who are pre-disposed to believe in/trust you) are now questioning you mission/intentions, you're getting something dramatically wrong .. fix it.

A fudged statement that basically says "you're all wrong and we're right, but we'll keep 32bit libs in some undisclosed way just to shut you up .. but it'll be on our terms, and you'll probably not like the way we do it" comes across as arrogant, not enough, and smacks of the attitude you're portraying of late that got you into this trust deficit in the first place ::)

Rally Linux support again as was your historical position, that is and should always remain the lens though which Ubuntu is viewed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:48:49 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 08:46:49 am »
Exactly!!!
Canonical/Ubuntu pushing snap and RedHat/Fedora pushing flatpak  :(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 08:54:32 am »
Most of me WANTS to scream "you're wrong" .. but I'm faltering lately :(

Canonical are making themselves and their position VERY hard to defend lately .. even though every fibre of my being WANTS to :(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 151tom

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 (64 bit)
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 11:59:58 am »
FWIW.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/06/ubuntu-reverses-decision-will-now-support-32-bit-apps

Update.

I find a few things in this article particularly interesting.

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-19-10-drops-32-bit-support/

I doubt any of this will affect me although I may be wrong but if it should I'll just migrate back to Debian.

I'm beginning to understand why Clem Lefebvre and the Linux Mint Devs is placing a lot of emphasis on LMDE as it's all beginning to make sense now.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3633
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:47:55 pm by 151tom »

Offline daragon37

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2019, 12:29:41 pm »
I am curious, do you all at Peppermint have a backup plan in case Ubuntu kills itself in anyway?
Can never go wrong making a backup plan.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 02:21:19 pm »
@daragon37
Probably, this is not the best place for such a question... but, yes would be the short answer.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2019, 01:01:40 am »
Ops! I might have missread your question...
I've got the impression you were asking us as general users.
But, you could be asking about the Peppermint team?  :-\
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 01:04:11 am by pin »

Offline daragon37

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2019, 07:29:45 am »
Ops! I might have missread your question...
I've got the impression you were asking us as general users.
But, you could be asking about the Peppermint team?  :-\

Yeah I was asking the Peppermint team. There are lots of backups for users.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2019, 12:18:06 pm »
We're always considering options so should be able to move pretty quickly if it became necessary, but no there's no specific plan in place.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2019, 06:56:20 pm »
The key to finding a plan is what exactly Canonical will do. Right now, they're saying they're going to include 32-bit libs in both 19.10 and 20.04. 20.04 is what Peppermint 11 and (presumably) 12 are planned to be based on. So, they should be OK. But, you never know. You also never know what will happen with Canonical in a year's time. They may reverse the decision and decide to still drop the 32-bit .iso but at least keep 32-bit packages in their repositories. But, I won't hold my breath on that happening.

Who knows, maybe this decision will force some software (like Steam) go 64-bit. But, I wouldn't count on it. Also, there are games that will still require 32-bit libs to be installed, even if the platform itself goes 64. Hell, there are games on GOG that require some 32-bit libs to be installed to work correctly. So, Canonical could be making a lot of people unhappy with this one. Whether they know it or not, this will hurt them in the long run. Gamers will jump ship to be able to still play their stuff. I personally have a backup plan, more than one in fact.

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2019, 08:06:37 am »
As long as you can move "pretty quickly" then we are in safe hands should the worst happen.  It always pays to have options that have been thought through when you have the luxury of not having to panic.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2019, 07:36:42 am »
Most of me WANTS to scream "you're wrong" .. but I'm faltering lately :(

Canonical are making themselves and their position VERY hard to defend lately .. even though every fibre of my being WANTS to :(

And here you go...
News from the "other side of the fence", https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2019/06/24/on-the-road-to-fedora-workstation-31/