Choose style:

Author Topic: Looking for a Laser printer working well with Peppermint (SOLVED)  (Read 178 times)

Offline jozefmw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
Hi Folks,
As the laser I bought recently won't work with Peppermint, I will sent it back and get another one. I would appreciate to get some hints for buying one working well with Peppermint  and producing good quality. Budget 200. Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 04:00:31 am by jozefmw »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Looking for a Laser printer working well with Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 02:41:28 pm »
I have a Samsung ML2022W which works perfectly after adding the drivers from SULDR (Samsung Unified Linux Driver Repository)
https://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/

They don't make that model any more but the Samsung Xpress M2026W is its equivalent .. in fact it uses the same driver
https://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/supported.html

Or are you looking for a colour laser ? .. I'd still go Samsung (just check the second link above for compatibility first) :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:44:09 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline jozefmw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 02:46:52 pm »
Yes indeed, I am looking for a color laser ...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 02:53:18 pm »
I can't suggest a colour laser from experience .. but as I said, I'd still go Samsung after checking the model is supported here:
https://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/supported.html
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline jozefmw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 04:19:50 pm »
Thank you, I am going to look at that.

Offline jozefmw

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 04:00:02 am »
I had a look at various available Samsung printers. They all had quite some negative feedback from users. Then I wanted to give it a last try with the Lexmark CS417dn. First I changed the USB cable for a new one. To my big surprise, this time the printer was immediately recognised, thus the driver I installed
Lexmark-AD2-PPD-Files-1.0-02242017.amd64.deb

https://www.freeprinterdriverdownload.org/lexmark-cs417dn-printer-driver-download-for-windows-10-8-7-server-linux-mac/

worked, following your instructions. The problem lied in a defect cable. I think it is important for other Peppermint fans to know that this printer works well, even makes quite acceptable photo prints. And, this machine is remarkable cheap: 89 by Amazon. So thank you again for all your support.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Looking for a Laser printer working well with Peppermint (SOLVED)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 07:58:32 am »
Great news, glad you figured it out .. and I'm pretty sure your having tagged the topics as solved will let people know the printer works :)

Can I also though that you're bound to find more people bitching about Samsungs, they likely sell 20 times as many, I mean think about their phones you'll likely discover more people bitching about them than any other phone and yet it's a market leader .. you'll also find more people bitchin about Windows than Linux (though that's probably not the best analogy to prove my point, as there they're actually right :))

My own personal (and business) experience with Samsung lasers has been a good one :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:02:51 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec