Choose style:

Author Topic: So I *Thought* Thunderbird Borked Today  (Read 847 times)

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: So I *Thought* Thunderbird Borked Today
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 07:17:53 pm »
@VinDSL, I fear long term email archives could be a liability rather than a resource. I'm happy with my 1.5 years of mostly spam. I could have saved everything going back to 2015 when I last purged the account. However, they were not  useful last year so I don't expect it to be useful next year either. :D

I started really using email in college during the mid-nineties. At this point old emails would only serve my curiosity and if anyone else got hold of them I'd probably look silly.

The downloaded archive included my YouTube uploads so I may post those on my personal website for my own vanity. I've been researching the principles of IndiWeb so I don't over rely on any one platform, company or service.
http://indieweb.org/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 07:20:22 pm by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 02:12:50 pm »
@VinDSL, I fear long term email archives could be a liability rather than a resource.

Yup, could be, but it's a business account, not a personal journal of what I ate for lunch, or whatevs.

I went from 9.7K emails, to less than 2K. If it affects their bottom-line, it's their problem, not mine.

Actually, it might be a blessing-in-disguise."Wish I could help you, but you wiped my data."  8)

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 02:41:49 pm »
Most companies have a data retention policy of a few years depending on whatever regulations they work within their industry.
In my case it was newsletters, notifications and spam. I seriously doubt I'll have an urge to look at an amazon marketing email from 2015.

Now that I'm archiving email locally on my desktop I'm going to keep a web based backlog of 6 months. Its all personal stuff nothing critical or important. I keep backups offline for a reason. :)
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 03:48:30 pm »
I keep backups offline for a reason. :)

Right.

The web is a leaky vessel. It's only a matter of time before it goes down permanently. Dittos for magnetic media.

It's been conjectured that M-Disc optical drives are the only safe media for longterm storage.

Any thoughts on that?

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 04:13:17 pm »
Which reminds me... I need to reinstall Seamonkey or Thunderbird in order to regain access my local archives going back to '00... lost the 94 to 99 mostly back in 99.

;)
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 04:58:22 pm »
Brilliant, spence. I forgot about that feature.

I archived the remnants of my company email(s) to this machine, and synced them for off-line storage/usage :)

Fool me once...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:49:24 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 05:05:56 pm »
You know...

I've always thought of IMAP as being infallible - it IS dependable - but, I hadn't considered the 'human factor'.

Somebody with 'fat fingers' can wipe out years of one's data, and hard-work, with a single click.

It's a human failing, really, not a condemnation of IMAP.

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2019, 09:49:45 pm »
Matt Hartley once suggested three backups, three locations for anything of value.
1. Local (Home)
2. Cloud
3. Remote (Office, Someone else's home etc.)

Of course test them from time to time.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 11:21:56 pm »
Sounds prudent and safe.

Can't go wrong using the ol' 3-2-1 backup model.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 12:03:45 pm »
Matt Hartley once suggested three backups, three locations for anything of value.
1. Local (Home)
2. Cloud
3. Remote (Office, Someone else's home etc.)

Of course test them from time to time.

I used to love him with Cockney Rebel .. didn't know he was into IT though :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 02:32:02 pm »
Don't worry PCNetSpec That's the advice I give. Not what I actually do. :D

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 02:54:45 pm »

I archived the remnants of my company email(s) to this machine, and synced them for off-line storage/usage :)

Fool me once...

Though I understand you have business related reason for it, I've never been a fan of imap. Too many folders and too many ways for imap to archive mail I want deleted... I detest gmail for it keeps showing me imap folders on their webmail client and they're currently resisting 3rd party email clients with a "out of date or insecure app" warning. No matter I almost never use it anyway.

Now moving back to my archive retrieval.

spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 05:30:10 pm »

Fool me once...

Though I understand you have business related reason for it, I've never been a fan of imap.

My love affair with IMAP started back in the good ol' days... when spam first went viral.

This might sound like BS, but it's true - I used to get about 15,000 spam emails a day.  When I got home from work, I'd start downloading them using POP3, and delete them locally. While they were downloading, I'd fix a snack, have a beer and check on the progress, every few minutes.

The problem was - the mail client I was using (at the time) would often crash around the 8K-10K mark, and it wouldn't tell the mail server that they had been downloaded. This freaked out the mail server, and when I'd start to download them a second or third or fourth time, the server would add those downloads to the count, and say I had 20K mails to download, or whatevs.

It got to the point where it was impossible to download and delete them locally. So, I'd shell into my production site and delete them remotely. I thought, to myself, it sure would be easier just to leave the mail on the server - and maintain them remotely, without having to resort to shelling into my account, or use a #$%! web interface.

That's when I discovered IMAP - and that's what I've been using ever since... The End  ;D

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 07:28:15 pm »

This might sound like BS, but it's true - I used to get about 15,000 spam emails a day.  When I got home from work, I'd start downloading them using POP3, and delete them locally. While they were downloading, I'd fix a snack, have a beer and check on the progress, every few minutes.

The problem was - the mail client I was using (at the time) would often crash around the 8K-10K mark, and it wouldn't tell the mail server that they had been downloaded. This freaked out the mail server, and when I'd start to download them a second or third or fourth time, the server would add those downloads to the count, and say I had 20K mails to download, or whatevs.

I remember those days. I used to volunteer for an online support group, the volume of mail generated there was barely manageable. Now I'm lucky to get two emails a week. I understand even more why imap appealed to you back then. I doubt our little local ISP in '94 even offered it.
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook