Choose style:

Author Topic: why swap so large when try peppermint os on live usb?(SOLVED)  (Read 348 times)

Offline khbthphh

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
I try peppermint os (a distro bases on Lubuntu) on live usb. Check ram by the command

Code: [Select]
free -h

and the result is

My usb is 4G, my ram is 4G.

Why swap is 5.7G? And does this happen in any other ubuntu based distros?

As I understand, trying ubuntu distros on live usb does not create swap on hard disk, so I think to 3 cases:

1. I already created a swap of 4G before (when I created dual boot), and this swap is used, but here swap is 5.7G

2. Another swap is created on the usb, but my usb only has 4G; so why swap is 5.7G?

3. a swap of 1.7 G is created on usb, and 5.7G is the result of combining he two swaps. But I check my usb is 2.5G free and the linux iso in it is about 1.3G, so cannot have a swap of 1.7G on my usb

UPDATE:: The answer is at https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/524859/why-is-swap-so-large-when-i-try-peppermint-os-on-live-usb-the-usbs-size-is-sm
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 02:31:15 am by khbthphh »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
The LiveUSB will be using a pre-existing swap partition (if one exists it will use it) .. a Live session makes ZERO changes to your hard drive unless you choose to install.
sudo fdisk -l
and
blkid
should tell you what you what your current partition scheme is
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:19:22 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec