Choose style:

Author Topic: How to Sync Google Drive on [Peppermint Linux OS]  (Read 420 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
How to Sync Google Drive on [Peppermint Linux OS]
« on: June 12, 2019, 11:30:48 pm »
Gleamed from: https://www.technewsworld.com/story/How-to-Sync-Google-Drive-on-Linux-86069.html

ODrive: The Appless Wonder Client

ODrive is a free open source application to sync or back up files to and from Google Drive. The free version is a very basic option with absolutely no frills or options, but it works effortlessly without fault.

For non-enterprise or heavy business uses, the free basic version will deliver all that you need to sync and view your Google Drive files with any number of computers. You do not need to open browser tabs or use terminal-based tools.

ODrive integrates a Google File folder within the file manager application. An ODrive icon sits in the notification area on the panel bar, but it has no functions other than to display basic Google Drive connection and file syncing status. You also can check/uncheck a Launch on Startup option and exit the client.

ODrive is available in .deb, Snap and appimage formats. it is also available for macOS and Windows. Its files are housed on GitHub.

How-to Setup ODrive Integration

OpenDrive's all-or-nothing simplicity makes installing the Google Drive Linux client a shortcut variety of what is the standard process detailed for the above two applications. All that is required is responding to the prompts in a series of dialogue windows.

1. Download the installation file from https://github.com/liberodark/ODrive/releases/tag/0.2.1

2. Click on the downloaded file. Click the NEXT button in the first dialogue setup box.

3. In the next dialogue window, click the arrow in the upper right corner of the dialogue box to select your Google Account.

4. In that same dialogue box, go to the middle of the window to select where on your computer you want to store the Google Drive files.

5. Click the Synchronize button at the bottom of the same window to advance to the next setup window.

6. Sign into ODrive by entering your email address and press the NEXT button.

7. Enter your Google password and press the NEXT button.

8. At the bottom of the new window, click the ALLOW button to authorize ODrive to access your Google Drive account.

9. Click the AUTHORIZE button to start the downloading of your Google Drive files.

That's it. Works great.

Took longer to type this post than to install Orive and mirror my Google Drive locally.  8)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Re: How to Sync Google Drive on [Peppermint Linux OS]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 01:28:39 pm »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 06:17:37 pm »
Cool tut, may give it a go myself

Wonder if there's a CLI version that would work on the NAS (without the PC in the middle).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 07:29:46 am »
It's a handy client/app - simple and useful, yet powerful, like Peppermint.

I'm thinking about syncing my Office 365 E3 business account locally, too.

I've got 1TB of storage at my bidding, over there...  :)