Choose style:

Author Topic: Acer C710 Chromebook  (Read 448 times)

Offline Brianrh

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Acer C710 Chromebook
« on: June 06, 2019, 02:21:14 pm »
Acer C710 Chromebook, well an ex-Chromebook using Seabios. Runs very nicely considering the limitations of the hardware.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Acer C710 Chromebook
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 03:12:35 pm »
Welcome to the forum Brianrh :)

Does seabios stop it wanting to reset itself every few boots ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Brianrh

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 03:47:20 pm »
Hi PCNetSpec

Do you mean the C710 resetting itself generally or when using Peppermint OS?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 04:33:12 pm »
I've never loaded linux onto a chromebook myself, but I hear that if you do, after a few boots the Chromebook refuses to boot without doing a factory reset back to ChromeOS (or something like that) ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Brianrh

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 02:31:32 pm »
I've never had that problem with mine. However I purposely went for the Acer as this has an In Intel Celeron processor and now has 4 GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD.

In the past I have installed a lot of Ubuntu based distros, Crunchbang (I think) and Manjaro for sure and they have run ok. However the lighter distros work nicely but others were understandably sluggish.

This is the laptop I use for holidays, weekends away, etc when compact size and light weight to go into a small bag or case is a requirement.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »
Thanks Brianrh, maybe I misunderstood the problem .. I can't seem to find reference to it on the web any more :-\

Though I'm pretty sure it was an Acer C710 Chromebook that was referenced .. so if you're having no problems, maybe it was a one off.

[EDIT]

Or was it EB that mentioned it ?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:58:56 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 07:15:53 am »
That's also happened to me. There are various methods of installing Linux on Chromebooks. One of them can involve removing a screw which makes the bootloader read-only. I wasn't able to do that because the screw head got mangled so I had to do the one which gets overwritten when the battery runs out.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 07:41:31 am »
Thanks murraymint, so I wasn't imagining it then :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 09:29:04 am »
I've never loaded linux onto a chromebook myself, but I hear that if you do, after a few boots the Chromebook refuses to boot without doing a factory reset back to ChromeOS (or something like that) ?

Just sharing this here, through this post is certainly not worthy of a new thread.  Forgive me please if it's veered just a smidgen off topic.  My wife's Acer C720 reached end of life/support status this week, though the darn thing still works fine. I thought I'd be able to easily swap out Chrome OS for Chromium OS with CloudReady and then maybe even luck out by being able to install Peppermint on it after that, but, no, no luck there -- CloudReady won't install on the C720.  (CloudReady is truly a hit-or-miss distribution/OS.  Sometimes CloudReady works like a charm, sometimes it moves like mud, and sometimes it won't even work at all.)

Since I've decided not to fidget with the darn thing, I'm thinking seriously now of buying an 11" HP Stream for mrs.perknh, and then replacing Windows with Peppermint.  I did this for myself several months ago with a 14" HP Stream.  Peppermint 9, with the enhanced 4.18 kernel, works like charm on it.  I don't know what she'll want, however.  (She's out of the country right now.)  I know I'll feel frustrated if asked to buy another Chromebook -- though I'll do so, of course, if asked.  I'm not happy seeing support end for her Acer C720 -- especially when I can see the device is still perfectly capable of running an updated version of Chrome browser.  In a nutshell I don't like a model of device support that works on the principle of builtin obsolescence.  Generally speaking, Google's Chrome OS model for device support rubs me the wrong way.  Sometimes, in particular instances, this kind of a model for device support can make sense, but often it doesn't.  In our particular case, it doesn't -- then dealing with Chrome OS just becomes a PITA and nothing more.  Grr! ::)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:30:23 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Brianrh

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 10:28:34 am »
This website might be of interest to those wondering about replacing ChromeOS on older devices:

https://mrchromebox.tech/#home

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 11:55:33 am »
I'm quite surprised you have problems getting Linux on your C720 Perknh .. it seems to be the model people used to SUGGEST if you wanted to install Linux :-\

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 07:30:19 pm »
I'm quite surprised you have problems getting Linux on your C720 Perknh .. it seems to be the model people used to SUGGEST if you wanted to install Linux :-\

Thank you Brianrh and PCNetSpec.

Yes, PCNetSpec, you're absolutely right.  The Acer C720 is the one Chromebook that everyone back in the day used to experiment with over and over again (I even ran Chrubuntu on it myself ages ago -- before I gave it to my wife..), but now all this thing does is give me grief.  I'll keep working on it, though.  What I'm experiencing with this Acer C720 is most likely a common case of PEBCAK! ;)

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum