Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 10 Gparted Issue  (Read 211 times)

Offline xrinh

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Live
Peppermint 10 Gparted Issue
« on: August 07, 2019, 08:55:36 pm »
Hi,
I am super new to peppermint. I am currently using a live OS of Peppermint 10 on a DV6 Pavilion 1359wm Entertainment Notebook PC.  I tried to install peppermint on this laptop due to the hard drive seemingly has no boot loader, or something to that effect as well as no OS installed.  Upon using the installer, it only shows the USB stick for installing it, yet, nothing else. I have tried EVERYTHING.  Now to update you on what the issue is, bear with me, I posted it in Reddit's Lubuntu (Since I was trying that out first...) as well as Linux4noobs subreddit.  I'm kind of giving up at this point, but I am DETERMINED to make this work! One way or the other. I am trying to make this my back up Laptop if something happens to my current PC I am using with Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver. Whilst trying Lubuntu, tons of kind users tried coaching me on what to do. But all of it failed, Or I am just completely useless. I even installed Windows 10 on a flash drive, just to see if it'd work, but no luck. Came up with a blue screen of a boot error.  So I scrapped Lubuntu, got Peppermint and tried it, thus far, I LOVE it. However...still no luck on how to install it. :(
1) https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/cm3w7f/lubuntu_1904_issue/
2) https://www.reddit.com/r/Lubuntu/comments/cn08h4/lubuntu_partition_issue_cross_post_from/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 02:54:30 am by AndyInMokum, Reason: Reformatting text to left justified. »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Peppermint 10 Gparted Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 02:09:10 am »
Hi xrinh,

So you can boot into Peppermint (on the USB stick) with the  DV6 Pavilion 1359wm ?? If you can then open a terminal and enter this command:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz
then copy the output and post it back here in your reply. This command prints out some information about your computer that could be helpful in trying to solve your issue. According to this web page some of these computers seem to have been delivered (at least at the time of purchase) with M$ Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

Also, user guides are available on this HP website. It could be that your computer's BIOS has some settings in the security section that need to be accessed and changed (by you) before the GParted program is permitted to access and modify the HDD (for example: if the computer comes with Secure Boot, this might need to be disabled in the BIOS before GParted can "see" the HDD).  ;)

So do some more homework, using the user guides for the machine, and let us know what you have done, what the results are and if you still need assistance.

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline xrinh

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Live
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 02:08:17 am »
Hi xrinh,

So you can boot into Peppermint (on the USB stick) with the  DV6 Pavilion 1359wm ?? If you can then open a terminal and enter this command:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz
then copy the output and post it back here in your reply. This command prints out some information about your computer that could be helpful in trying to solve your issue. According to this web page some of these computers seem to have been delivered (at least at the time of purchase) with M$ Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

Also, user guides are available on this HP website. It could be that your computer's BIOS has some settings in the security section that need to be accessed and changed (by you) before the GParted program is permitted to access and modify the HDD (for example: if the computer comes with Secure Boot, this might need to be disabled in the BIOS before GParted can "see" the HDD).  ;)

So do some more homework, using the user guides for the machine, and let us know what you have done, what the results are and if you still need assistance.

Regards,

-- Slim

Heya, Thanks for replying! I did further research the BIOS from the manufacturer, and I've come to the conclusion that the hard drive has essentially failed?
Also, here is the terminal you asked for:
inxi -Fz
System:    Host: peppermint Kernel: 4.18.0-18-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: N/A
           Distro: Peppermint Ten
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC v: Rev 1 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3627 v: 18.50 serial: N/A
           BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: F.41 date: 11/12/2009
Battery    BAT0: charge: 0.4 Wh 7.1% condition: 5.0/48.8 Wh (10%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T6600 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2200 MHz 1: 1198 MHz 2: 1197 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.1 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.42hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express
           version: 2.1 Mesa 18.2.8
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.18.0-18-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak] driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCIE Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 8.2GB (23.6% used)
           ID-1: USB /dev/sda model: USB_2.0_FD size: 8.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.9G used: 32M (2%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.01GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram0
           ID-3: swap-2 size: 1.01GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 172 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 366.4/3848.4MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56
I hope this helps!

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:21:14 am »
Hi xrinh,

Well, if the HDD is broken, then you have several options to consider:
1. Replace the HDD with a new one (pretty obvious  :D )

2. Replace it with an SSD (much faster and reliable than HDD, less power usage, lighter weight, etc)

3. Perform an installation of Peppermint 10 on to a large USB stick so that it has persistance (i.e. changes made to the system such as customizations and updates remain saved across system restarts and your personal files are also saved on the same stick -- although you could also save your personal files on separate USB stick).

Unfortunately option 3 runs somewhat slowly unless your machine has a USB 3 port (and your USB stick also be capable of reading/writing data with USB 3 speeds). But even if your machine does not have any  USB 3 port in it, I know of people who use option 3 with USB 2 and are happy that they did not have to buy anything expensive (like a new computer or new HDD or SSD). Instructions for performing option 3 can be found on this forum by using the forum's Search function.

Good luck and ask back here if you have any further questions.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
P.S. I forgot the most obvious option: buy a new (or used) computer and ditch the old one.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:23:45 am by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome