Choose style:

Author Topic: Can I run Excel in Wine  (Read 332 times)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Can I run Excel in Wine
« on: June 03, 2019, 01:10:38 am »
Hi guys

I have a friends PC I've installed PM10 on dual boot alongside Windows 10, The thing is he's self employed and VAT registered and new legislation coming out soon means he has to use special accounting software for paying his VAT, http://www.vtsoftware.co.uk/tranplus/ He doesn't want to use Windows at all and asked me if it's possible to run this software in Peppermint, the problem is that this software is only available in Windows so I tried installing it in WINE (Play on Linux) and it looked like it might install but part way through the install process it asks to browse to the Excel folder (presumably this software requires Excel), I have a copy of Office 2010 but it wont install it crashes part way through the installation.

Does anyone know of any version of Excel that will run in WINE or any way around this problem

Many thanks

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Can I run Excel in Wine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 07:30:59 am »
I use the "any way around this problem" model, Graeme - Microsoft Excel (Online)

The link is available in the Peppermint Menu. And, of course, an account is required.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 07:46:45 am »
I don't know if Microsoft Excel (Online) will run these accounting modules or not.

I downloaded an example file from the site, and looked at the requirements:

The sample code can be seen in the Module1 of the project for this workbook in the Visual Basic Editor                                       

To display the Visual Basic Editor, press Alt+F11                                       

To run one of the example macros, press Alt+F8, select the Macro and click the Run button. To see the code behind a macro, click the Edit button                                       

In order for the macros to run, VT Transaction+ 2009 or later must be installed                                       

Unfortunately, I need to run. BBL

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 08:28:23 am »
I use the "any way around this problem" model, Graeme - Microsoft Excel (Online)

The link is available in the Peppermint Menu. And, of course, an account is required.

I did think of that VIN but I just assumed it wouldn't work because it's not locally installed, during installation VT Transactions asks to be pointed to the Excel directory there isn't one with the online version

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:16:17 am »
According to this
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?iId=4992&sClass=version
Office 2007 is platinum on 18.04

But then you're ALSO gonna need to get the VT software to work in WINE .. and it may not.

Wouldn't a Windows VM be a better solution ?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:19:47 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 10:26:28 am »
But then you're ALSO gonna need to get the VT software to work in WINE .. and it may not.

That's true but the problem is I can't test VT Transactions in Wine until I have a working version of Excel the installation wont let me go any further, so I'm kinda caught between a rock and a hard place

Wouldn't a Windows VM be a better solution ?

In a word yes and that's how I suggested he did it and I have already installed Windows 7 in a VM for him to do it that way but he only wants to use Peppermint he's fell in love with it, I've told him it may not be possible but I'd give it a go, so this isn't life or death but I promised I'd try

Many thanks
Graeme

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 11:01:57 am »
Just out of interest this a fairly new PC that came with Windows 10 the owner asked me to install Peppermint after a conversation some time ago, I didn't think it would go anywhere but he called me up one day out of the blue and asked if he could give his PC to install Peppermint on it,

He hates Windows 10 with a passion and doesn't want to use it at all, he's also very privacy minded and has read up on Microsoft spyware but because he needs to use this VT Transactions and he has some Word & Excel files I thought the safest and best compromise would be to run Windows 7 in a VM specifically for VT Transactions which I set up for him, as it turns out almost all his Word/Excel file open up fine in Libre Office although 1 or 2 have some formatting issues but that said he still prefers Libre Office and he prefers Peppermint and wants to do as much as he can with both.

Last week he give me a laptop also running Windows 10 this is a beast although I've never timed it I reckon it boots in under 5 seconds, anyway he want's Peppermint installed on it as well which I've willingly obliged, but there's a kicker here as well, there's some other software that I think is Windows only it's software to calibrate weighbridges, I've only looked at it briefly but he asked if I could get that running in Linux, at this point  I've told him it's highly unlikely,

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 03:44:06 pm »
Hi guys I'm back to this

I got MS Office 2007 successfully installed using PlayOnLinux so I'm now able to attempt to  install VT Transactions, however during the installation the VT installer is asking me to install it in the same folder as Excel which I think would be Z:\/home/graeme/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/MS_Office/drive_c/Program Files but the ~/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/ folder is not showing up on the folder list as per screenshot

it should be between Pictures and Podcasts as per screenshot

Is there any reason PlayOnLinux's virtual drives is not listed when every other folder is ?

Graeme

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:51:22 pm by emegra »

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 04:09:02 pm »
Ok I found the way to do it, instead of installing to a new virtual drive I had to add to an existing drive (the same on Excel was on ) anyway although it installed ok and no errors reported it wouldn't run, when I tried to start it it ran into a runtime error so it's clearly not gonna work not that I was all that confident to begin with

Graeme