Choose style:

Author Topic: Wife at last!  (Read 547 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Wife at last!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 12:52:14 pm »
I just mentioned this to my wife and she said "but there's nothing to learn, it's just so easy to use".
Feel free to use that tag line  8)

LoL  :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 04:53:56 pm »
Women are genetically superior because have extra genes, and a better mixture of chromosomes.

So what ? .. I have more shirts and use Firefox :P
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 05:28:22 pm »
Have you noticed the way any topic that contains the word "wife" generally slips into a moan pretty quickly :))

This thread inspired me to install Peppermint 10 on mrs.perknh's computer yesterday evening.  And I did what I said I'd do; I set security updates to download and install automatically.  And now I've discovered that doing so is a one way street: if you set security updates to download and install automatically, your other update options will be closed off to you in the software manager.  I never knew that before, but then I never played with security updates before either.

This is a noble experiment, so I'll see how it goes.  Ubuntu 19.04 is doing this automatic policy with security updates, so I figure it must be a pretty safe thing to do.  But then again 19.04 wouldn't boot up for me this morning either -- some grub error thing.  I hope this problem ends up being Ubuntu 19.04 and not with my hard drive. (I'm now installing Windows 8.1 on the drive.  So far, no warnings...)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 06:24:48 pm »
It's a no win situation, with anyone else I can (and do) say "I don't support Windows any more" [...]

I've been thinking about [the above]. And, the more I think about it...

IMO, winders isn't for normal people. It's really for organizations with an IT department.

I have to attend a conference tomorrow, and I just got done upgrading my triple-boot 'Road Warrior'.

Last time I updated it was 17 days ago...

Peppermint 7 on top of Linux 5 was a piece of cake, and unremarkable.

W10 Pro (stable) was a nightmare. It took three tries (and a couple of hours) to upgrade to V1903. Then, all the ancillary turd-party stuff.

W10 20H1 18908 (preview build) surprisingly installed on the first try.   :o

If one likes to fiddle around with all of this winders nonsense, that's fine, but asking someone to put Humpty Dumpty back together on a regular basis, for free, borders on abuse.

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 09:59:31 pm »
I join you all in sympathy!

...She just won't consider changing at all. But I won't deny she takes good care of me so I just do what I must to keep her happy.

Pepp On everybody!  :D

+1

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 01:31:53 am »

IMO, winders isn't for normal people. It's really for organizations with an IT department.

I have to attend a conference tomorrow, and I just got done upgrading my triple-boot 'Road Warrior'.

Last time I updated it was 17 days ago...

Peppermint 7 on top of Linux 5 was a piece of cake, and unremarkable.

W10 Pro (stable) was a nightmare. It took three tries (and a couple of hours) to upgrade to V1903. Then, all the ancillary turd-party stuff.

W10 20H1 18908 (preview build) surprisingly installed on the first try.   :o

If one likes to fiddle around with all of this winders nonsense, that's fine, but asking someone to put Humpty Dumpty back together on a regular basis, for free, borders on abuse.

What Windows virtue supposed to be?  I believe it's supposed to work across all device interfaces -- desktop, tablet, and phone.  I guess Windows is supposed to have accomplished what Unity was trying to do.  I wonder, though, if it really has.  Who uses a Windows phone today?  I don't know anyone who does.  And lots and lots of people dislike Windows 10 for the desktop.  Sometimes I think nothing has helped Linux Mint's Cinnamon edition's popularity more than than Windows 10.  Mint Cinnamon edition's DE favors Windows 7 to some degree, so it appears a easy point of entry into the world of Linux for many users.  After Mint they'll branch out into other distributions.

I believe Windows on the desktop was on a better track with Windows 8.1, but 8.1 is buggy and there will be no fixes for it beyond security updates. Version 1903 of Windows 10 is supposed to be an improvement on 1809* because it's supposedly no longer an obligatory update.  Also you're supposed to be able to rid yourself of more of its bloatware.  Still, as far as I know, you can't get rid of Cortana, though you can get rid of OneDrive, but you could do that back with 1809 too.  I don't think you get rid of Xbox either, or at least not all of it.

* I hope I have the version numbers right.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:06:32 am by perknh »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 07:10:41 am »
Still, as far as I know, you can't get rid of Cortana [...]

I've hated Cortana from Day One, and have always gotten rid of it by haxoring the registry.

In 1903 they've FINALLY/TOTALLY/REALLY separated Cortana from the search feature, and made it speech-only.

I need to get going - have to attend a convention today - so, I'll just do a copy n' paste from MUD, explaining it...

For a long time, Windows 10 combined Cortana and desktop search. This meant that when you opened the search panel, you’d see Cortana and her list of features. That’s a bit frustrating if you don’t care about Cortana, or would rather use both features separately.

Now, you can do just that. Windows 10 features separate icons for Cortana and searching on the Taskbar. To change how they appear, right-click an empty space on the taskbar and choose Show Cortana button to toggle that. And under Search, you can select Hidden, Show search icon, or Show search box.

The search bar now only looks for files on your PC and web results. You can use the tabs at the top to filter by the kind of data you’d like to find. As a result, Cortana is now relegated to voice searches.

Combined with disabling all the Cortana options at Settings > Cortana > Talk to Cortana, you can essentially hide her from your view without any Registry hacks.

BBL

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 03:23:24 pm »
Thanks, VinDSL.  Although our wives often grumble that they need to compete with our computers for our attention.  They should feel some comfort knowing it's not because of Cortana.  I don't know why, but when hear the name Cortana, I think of Lorena Bobbitt.  Maybe it's because cortar mean to cut in Spanish, and the word Cortana has a Latin ring to it.  It's a terrible association I know, but that's what it sounds like to me.  Anyway, I don't want anything to do with it either. ::)

Right now I'm running 8.1 and Peppermint 10.  This is because Ubuntu 19.04 messed up my computer a couple of days ago.  I replaced Ubuntu 19.04 with Windows 8.1 until I can sort out what I want to explore next. :-\
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:40:48 pm by perknh »