Choose style:

Author Topic: Wife at last!  (Read 659 times)

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
Wife at last!
« on: May 31, 2019, 12:55:03 pm »
After a couple of years of trying I have finally managed to persuade by wife to install Peppermint on her PC instead of Win10.  Her PC was starting to really crawl so in the end it was an easy win.  P10 is flying and she absolutely loves it!

Code: [Select]
System:    Host: xxxx-Lenovo-C540 Kernel: 4.18.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Ten
Machine:   Device: desktop System: LENOVO product: 10110 v: Lenovo C540 serial: N/A
           Mobo: LENOVO model: INVALID v: Win8 STD MM DPK IPG serial: N/A
           UEFI: LENOVO v: I0KT30AUS date: 05/16/2013
Battery    hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-3330S (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1596 MHz 2: 1596 MHz 3: 1596 MHz
           4: 1596 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.1 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop
           version: 4.2 Mesa 18.2.8
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Z-Star Micro driver: USB Audio
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.18.0-20-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp5s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (19.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 361G used: 9.5G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda9
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 190 Uptime: 8:36 Memory: 2830.2/3839.8MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:13:57 pm by zebedeeboss »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Wife at last!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 01:15:18 pm »
That's awesome - congrats

Regards Zeb...

You need to encapsulate the terminal output with the Insert, Code # function.  For extra long outputs, please use the Spoiler, Sp function.  If you’re a Chromium Browser and/or a Google Chrome user, please don't combine these functions.  For some reason, they don’t work well together with these browsers.  The formatting gets all goofed up.  Only use one or the other  ;).  These forum functions preserve the original format of the output.  This makes it easier for future visitors to relate to their own issues.  These functions are found in the forum editor, above the,  :-[ Embarrassed and  the :'( Cry emoticon respectively.  Use the Preview button to check how it'll look after you post it to forum.  I hope this helps  ;).

I have done it for you this time :)
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 01:24:48 pm »
ooo thanks Zeb.  I actually copied and pasted the code via facebook messenger between my wife's pc and mine so did realise that i would lose the code.  nice job in making it nice and tidy for me, much appreciated.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 01:31:56 pm »
Well done .. wish I could talk my missus into Linux, but she just won't have it ::)

There's absolutely nothing she does that requires Windows, but she still won't swap :(
(I've realised it's easier to just resign myself to the fact I'll never be 100% Windows support free)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:33:56 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 07:25:30 pm »
[...] wish I could talk my missus into Linux, but she just won't have it ::)

There's absolutely nothing she does that requires Windows, but she still won't swap :(
(I've realised it's easier to just resign myself to the fact I'll never be 100% Windows support free)

Dittos...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 08:29:32 pm »
It's a no win situation, with anyone else I can (and do) say "I don't support Windows any more", but with my missus that'd just mean ME paying someone else to ???

The things we do for an easier (and cheaper) life.....
(nearly said "for love" there, but no I don't do it for love .. if that were the case she'd be running Linux, end of story :)))
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 08:32:53 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 09:46:49 pm »
My wife to bees (buzz) excuse is that she does not want to learn how to use another OS. I keep saying to her, that sooner or later, you'll have to move on, cause Microsoft are going to start charging you, for using their OS. Basically Microsoft want to go fully cloud based and there have been rumours or if you're American rumors of them charging per week. She said that that'll be a long way off. Not sure on what to do, though I know she has spent a lot of money, on software for her art projects, with dolls. Yes our home has turned into Dollyville, she has an obsession with dolly stuff, no not Dolly Parton, but Bratz dolls, Sindy dolls, Barbie dolls. I'm expecting not to wake up one morning, cause the dolls have come alive and killed me off. Not only dolls, also the clothes to go with 'em. She makes greeting cards, based on different scenarios, plus she has vehicles, handbags, microwaves, laptops, mobile phones, glasses, kitchens, hotels, Volkswagon vans, motorbikes, kitchen sinks (Literally), pets, dogs, cats, budgies. More shoes than anyone living, dolls shoes that is. On the Bratz dolls, their feet pull off, instead of the shoes, so she's able to change the color of their feet too. Everyday I answer the door to the postman and everyday he asks if we're moving house yet, cause of the dolls. Now I ain't told you everything she has in her collection, cause this will go on till I'm covered in cobwebs and getting eaten by giant spiders. I can tell you it is a lot, plus she has dolls houses, that act like shelves, though they are full up with dollies sat at tables, some are wearing sun glasses, in shorts and tee shirts, mini skirts, earrings, you name it everything you could possibly imagine. So trying to get her to move to Linux, I guess will never happen, a bit like pulling hens teeth, cause there ain't no card making program in Linux, well there is, but it ain't as good as a proprietary program. Her words not mine.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:50:51 pm by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 12:41:06 pm »
I've lucked out here.  mrs.perknh never warmed up to Windows -- never, ever!  She only likes Linux  -- Peppermint, Ubuntu, and Chrome OS.  That's it!  The only thing I've haven't been able to get her to do (and not only her I might add) is basic updating.  I'm the one who's always updating the computers around here.  I attribute the reasons for this to her use of Chrome OS as well as our early history of going online.  We both came from Web TV to personal computing.  Back in the day, Web TV, much like Chrome OS today, did not require end users to perform general updating tasks.  These days I'm beginning, for my own peace of mind, to set the update manager after installation to When there are security updates:  Download and install automatically.  That update policy is a good policy for people who, for whatever reasons, fail to acknowledge the importance of regularly updating their machines as they should -- which is just about everyone I know who doesn't read this forum. ::)

But, yeah, I'm happy to say mrs.perknh loves Linux Peppermint OS.  She began running it on her own computer back with Peppermint 4. :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 08:35:16 pm »
Well done .. wish I could talk my missus into Linux, but she just won't have it ::)

Same here with the g/f. Her netbook has Windows 7. Instead of using P9 (which I installed), she got a new laptop with Win 10.
If you ever persuade your wife, please share how you did it.

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 03:28:01 am »
Of course we know when we will have hit mainstream when the posts are "I have just got my husband to switch to Peppermint".  It's all rather one sided here  :D

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 03:35:44 am »
I've lucked out here.  mrs.perknh never warmed up to Windows -- never, ever!  She only likes Linux  -- Peppermint, Ubuntu, and Chrome OS.  That's it!  The only thing I've haven't been able to get her to do (and not only her I might add) is basic updating.  I'm the one who's always updating the computers around here.  I attribute the reasons for this to her use of Chrome OS as well as our early history of going online.  We both came from Web TV to personal computing.  Back in the day, Web TV, much like Chrome OS today, did not require end users to perform general updating tasks.  These days I'm beginning, for my own peace of mind, to set the update manager after installation to When there are security updates:  Download and install automatically.  That update policy is a good policy for people who, for whatever reasons, fail to acknowledge the importance of regularly updating their machines as they should -- which is just about everyone I know who doesn't read this forum. ::)

But, yeah, I'm happy to say mrs.perknh loves Linux Peppermint OS.  She began running it on her own computer back with Peppermint 4. :)

Tell me about it, with the updating. I'm the one who is in charge of the upkeep of her computer, from defragging to security, cleaning her history off of it, though shown her countless times on how to do it.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline Sgthawker

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 10:35:47 am »
I join you all in sympathy!

I have to pay for windows security programs, perform the updates and do the defrags on all the machines she uses. She just won't consider changing at all. But I won't deny she takes good care of me so I just do what I must to keep her happy.

Pepp On everybody!  :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 10:37:44 am »
Have you noticed the way any topic that contains the word "wife" generally slips into a moan pretty quickly :))

Wonder what that says about us (and them) ???

Quote from: Sgthawker
But I won't deny she takes good care of me so I just do what I must to keep her happy.

That's better .. and the recognisable truth :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 10:53:35 am »
Women are genetically superior because have extra genes, and a better mixture of chromosomes.

It's the coursing hormones, when they shoot out eggs, that's makes them crazy.  >:(

They suffer men because we're useful idiots.

Truthfully, If it weren't for vaginas and mammary glands, I wouldn't have anything to do with them...

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 12:34:34 pm »
My wife to bees (buzz) excuse is that she does not want to learn how to use another OS.

I just mentioned this to my wife and she said "but there's nothing to learn, it's just so easy to use".
Feel free to use that tag line  8)