Choose style:

Author Topic: Thumbnails in Nemo (NOT Thunar) file manager not appearing correctly [SOLVED]  (Read 256 times)

Offline DenW

• Linux User - Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 upgrade 64bit
There was a previous thread that covered this topic There are no real images of video files in the file manager. and now in Peppermint 10 (upgraded from 9R) I am again experiencing this problem.  When I delete all folders in ~/cache/thumbnails everything works as it should (on my last deletion there were about 420 thumbnails in the Large folder in this directory).
It was mentioned in the previous thread that there was a bug in the distro at that time and this deletion of folders was a workaround.  Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 01:47:36 pm by DenW »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Thumbnails in Thunar file manager not appearing correctly
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 07:33:22 pm »
I'm not experiencing this issue, nor did I in PM9 (or any other Peppermint version).

Did you keep a home folder from a previous installation because something is obviously broken.

Have you tried creating a new user account and checked if thumbnails work in that account ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DenW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 07:58:13 pm »
I have experienced this problem in an earlier version of Peppermint but can't remember which version!  Remember I did an upgrade rather than a new install of version 10 so that may have something to do with my problem now.  I did not have a separate Home folder and did not change anything during the upgrade so I doubt having a new user account will solve my problem but I will give it a try. Not sure what all those python bits I installed as per your upgrade instructions do but I assume they would not be involved?

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:18:18 pm »
Don't you mean Nemo? Or are you using Thunar? Go to preferences of Nemo and click on preview, change the thumbnail option to always and change the size of thumbnail to 8GB it'll show every thumbnail and yes I have not seen your link yet, but that is how I get every thumbnail on my Pep to display thumbnails correctly in Nemo. In Thunar it should display automatically, cause in the options it says always. But like you said it was not a normal install, it was done by Mark's script, but that still should have no difference on thumbnail display. Now let me read your link and I'll then get a taste of what you actually mean? I do things backwards, I'm from the Isle of Wight. Or is it that I'm just stupid?  :-\
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 08:26:30 pm »
Ah 32bit, 64bit I'm running, but will be doing 32bit install on a 2GB ram, very old and I'm talking ancient laptop, later on today. Also will post my video here, well link to see if I get the same issues in Pep 10 32bit.  ;D

Offline DenW

• View Profile
Hi Clatterford Slim - I do subscribe to your YT channel. Yes of course I am using Nemo and not Thunar and I am on 64bit install.  I have been caught out by the Preview setting in my earlier days with Peppermint so I use Always and 8GB so thumbnails should always show.  In fact I forgot this setting when I set up a Test user account and my first YT video download (several MB) did not display picture.  When I came back to the Forum I read your comment and went right back to change Preview in Test account and of course that corrected the problem immediately.  I think that my problem is related to the number of thumbnails in the ~/cache/thumbnails directory so I will try generating them quickly from the folders in my Home directory (in my original account of course).
Any other suggestions are welcome! 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:28:22 pm by DenW »

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 10:01:47 pm »
I know that sometimes, thumbnails hang a bit, after rendering video from Kdenlive, but that is easily resolved by renaming the files. Also if you fill up your home folder with too many video files, it can cause slowdown of your system, the journal goes to pot, or am I thinking of ext 2? I remember you, you had posted on a few of my videos. I do videos for the love of Linux, not for gain of income, as monetising my account and being able to setup a proper account with Streamlabs donations, you need to have over one thousand subscribers.

So I'd rather work a normal job, if you call sixty hours a day, as life is just one long day anyway, with some light and dark thrown into the mix. Okay so in the real world, it's sixty hours a week and that's night shifts, hence why I'm up at 02:45 British time. Will be doing two videos later on today, as luckily I have today Thursday off. Get around 3hrs sleep, then onto computers, as two different machines will be using to install Pep 10 on. My ancient laptop and my new Ryzen build, finally finished building it yesterday, just one more thing to do on it and that is put my Graphic card in, otherwise no picture, as it's Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, no onboard graphics on this one, but very powerful and only 65Watts. Blimey I'm writing a book, better go and put the kettle on.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:05:25 pm by clatterfordslim »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Oh yeah sorry I remember now .. it was specific to the 32bit version, I'll load up a VM tomorrow and have another look.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DenW

• View Profile
Thanks for your thoughts.  Just to clarify for PCNetSpec I am on a 64bit system and I had noticed the last post in the other thread seemed to have a problem on 64bit 9R.  After a fair amount of "playing around" with different options my suspicion is now directed at the Firefox YT Downloader app that I have previously used without problems. Firefox has been "upgraded" recently and I notice the YT App has been updated May 15.  If this App does not produce a picture and I go immediately to the ~/.cache/thumbnails directory and just delete the Fail folder when I return to the Downloads folder the picture is there now.  If I use a different (but slower) video download program and download a video the picture is always there.  To be continued (its past my bedtime!) .........
OK I'm still up but figured I wouldn't sleep unless I tried the obvious - removed YT App totally from Firefox (including ffmpeg file) and then reinstalled but only simple version (allows up to 720p which is all I use anyway - no ffmpeg required).  Tried it quickly on two YT videos and works fine.  I had noticed the original app seemed to be a bit glitchy so maybe that was the problem - Not Peppermint 10!  Will only return here if I need to otherwise I'll mark Solved tomorrow.  Thanks for all your help.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:20:23 pm by DenW »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Ah right, that explains it, yeah sounds simply like YT Downloader was creating slightly corrupt files.
(not the same issue as the other topic)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
There is clipgrab which is what I use and have no problems, it downloads really fast. You can either download the image file to double click and activate it to run as a program, or there is the PPA for it. I always choose the latter. Will let you decide, if you to decide to install it. I have had no issues with it, thumbnails are fine.  ;D

Offline DenW

• View Profile
All has gone well with my downloads from YT today so I assume that there was a problem with the older version of the App.  Everything else in my upgraded Pep10 working well except xed still showing error message.  After trying Featherpad as an alternative I have come to like that more so I have made it default for Text Files (xed still installed just in case I forget!).  Referring to Clatterford Slim ClipGrab I came across that a while ago and installed it (Appimage) as a backup to my Firefox YT App which has worked well for me.  I have tried ClipGrab on a few occasions and it works well also .
Anyway I consider this thread can be closed - thanks to you both.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Xed 2.0.2 does show warnings in the terminal, but they're completely safe to ignore.

Or you could go back to PM9's version of xed if you prefer.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec