Choose style:

Author Topic: Auction for a laptop full of malware closes at $1.2 million  (Read 243 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds

It contains viruses like WannaCry, which infected more than 200,000 computers across 150 countries and caused nearly $4 billion
in damages, and BlackEnergy, which shut down a power grid in Ukraine, among other stunts. The laptop also contains the ILOVEYOU,
MyDoom, SoBig and DarkTequila malware. Each is meant to be a reminder that ransomware has the potential for real-world harm.

SOURCE: https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/27/persistence-of-chaos-malware-laptop-auction/

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: Auction for a laptop full of malware closes at $1.2 million
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 12:38:21 am »
 :o My word, did not know about half of the mentioned Computer viruses. Staggers the imagination, though I guess it's like the plague and all the other ancient diseases they have locked away over the years. Keeping this Laptop under lock and key so it does no harm. Scary stuff, if it got into the wrong hands?   
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 09:27:02 am »
I'm sorry but what kinda fekin idiot would spend 1.345 Million for a laptop with 6 viruses/ransomeware that you can easily download from the web in 5 minutes .. just as a piece of (stupid) art :-\

Dipsh*t ::)

And what kinda society do we live in where people with that kinda money are encouraged to buy this sh*t as a "look I'm that rich I can throw money away on rubbish" stunt to impress their other rich friends whilst people starve.

[EDIT]

This "nah, nah, na, nah nah .. mine's bigger than yours" (bank account) bollocks REALLY angers me >:(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:34:44 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit / P10
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 09:52:44 am »
I'm sorry but what kinda fekin idiot would spend 1.345 Million for a laptop with 6 viruses/ransomeware that you can easily download from the web in 5 minutes .. just as a piece of (stupid) art :-\

Dipsh*t ::)

And what kinda society do we live in where people with that kinda money are encouraged to buy this sh*t as a "look I'm that rich I can throw money away on rubbish" stunt to impress their other rich friends whilst people starve.

[EDIT]

This "nah, nah, na, nah nah .. mine's bigger than yours" (bank account) bollocks REALLY angers me >:(

What he said.  >:( DITTOS. "Art" really?? :-\ :(

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 10:56:21 am »
Still  running windows-xp  :D