Choose style:

Author Topic: Chose "Ignore" under "IPv6 Method" but still an IPv6 IP is shown to sites  (Read 282 times)

Offline Ulysses_

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
When you visit ipleak.net it tells you some of the things that this site sees about you. One is your IPv6 IP (where it says "Linked-Scoped Unicast"). That's all fine except I am not supposed to be using IPv6! "IPv6 Method" is set to "Ignore" in the Network Manager. Not happy with this because that IP is almost unique to me. How can IPv6 really be disabled?

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Haven't got time to test it, right now, but...

Looks like this should work: https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/disable-ipv6-on-ubuntu

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Yes as VinDSL suggests, setting IPv6 to IGNORE in network-manager does not fully disable IPv6, it only tells network-manager to ignore it. If you want to fully disable IPv6 it has to be done sysctl
https://www.admintome.com/blog/disable-ipv6-on-ubuntu-18-04/
is a better solution for Ubuntu 18.04 (and hence Peppermint 9 and 10), as it shows a method for making it survive a reboot IN 18.04 .. I'm afraid the instructions in VinDSL's link no longer survive a reboot in 18.04
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:23:37 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ulysses_

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Is there a way to disable IPv6 but still be able to access IPv6 sites by some sort of NAT from v4 to v6?