Choose style:

Author Topic: Clementine not fetching music data when playing CDs [SOLVED]  (Read 186 times)

Offline dave8647

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
I have been trying the Clementine music player - version 1.3.1 as installed from the Software Manager in Peppermint 10.

My problem is that the music data (artist - album - track titles - etc) are not being fetched from the internet. I confirmed on the Clementine forum that this should happen automatically.

It was suggested that I try installing the Asunder CD Ripper to see if it brings in this data. So I tried that and Asunder does get all that data correctly. So if Asunder can get it, why not Clementine? The person who responded to me on the Clementine forum uses Debian, and Clementine works fine fetching the music data, so it was suggested I bring this question here to see if it is a Peppermint problem.

Could someone who has Peppermint 10 and Clementine on a PC with a CD drive try this out and see what happens?

If anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know what to try.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:54:47 pm by dave8647 »

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: Clementine not fetching music data when playing CDs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 10:00:42 am »
My Beautiful South Quench album got read okay ;D, though I do have trouble with other CDs, obscure music from long ago Western Swing like Bob Wills. :(
My guess is that maybe you need to sign in to Spotify as they have a hell of a lot of music in their collection and as it is that kind of thing that these music players rely on, to collect music info.  ;D If you click on Internet box on the left you'll find Spotify in there.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:02:38 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 10:33:59 am »
I don't think also it's a peppermint problem, as Peppermint is fully Ubuntu based, with other stuff added to make it even more reliable and stable than Ubuntu itself. It's definitely not the OS, it's down to the clementine players resources. Also which version did you download in package manager as the one underneath the one with review stars, takes ages and does not work. I used Synaptic to install my version.  ;D

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 10:43:50 am »
Do you have a firewall enabled?

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 11:00:03 am »
I uninstalled Clementine and installed Rhythmbox, it picked up Blue Is The Colour Album Beautiful South and the year 1996. So I suggest Rhythmbox.  ;D

Offline dave8647

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 12:52:05 pm »
Looking through the various comments, all appreciated, I decided just to test more CDs as most of mine are old. I found that some of them do get the data as expected.  But not the three I was originally testing with.

One of them is a Willie Nelson Christmas album. Really?

I will point out that all  three of the test CDs get data when played on a Windows PC using Windows Media Player and all three get data using Asunder on Peppermint. Asunder has the ability to specify the database source and the default is freedb.freedb.org. I don't know what Clementine uses but it's obviously not as complete as freedb. I looked in Clementine's various menus and could not find a place to change this as you can with Asunder.

Just now online I found this post...

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/257753/can-clementine-music-player-fetch-cddb-freedb-data

It's three years old but enough that I think I will take this issue back to Clementine and see what they say,

So I would say this issue is solved in the sense that Peppermint is not the problem. Thanks for all your feedback.