Choose style:

Author Topic: Replicating P 10 into another partiton  (Read 138 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Replicating P 10 into another partiton
« on: May 26, 2019, 01:31:10 am »
Hello Peppermint people.  Since my P 9 and P 10 systems are running flawlessly, I got bored and thought I would try "cloning" the P 10 installation into another partition. I had read in a Ubuntu group post about copying and restoring Software using apt-clone. I've tried using Aptik before but it didn't work so well. So first I made a Timeshift snapshot of P 10, then installed apt-clone. Then I had to make a directory to store the package list, I put it into my Documents folder since I have a DATA partition, so I don't have to use external memory devices. My code for that was
Code: [Select]
mkdir ~/Documents/mypackages
To make the list, I ran
sudo apt-clone clone ~/Documents/mypackages --with-dpkg-repack
Looking in mypackages, I got the file name
apt-clone-state-albert-desktop.tar.gz
So then I did a fresh install of P 10 into the empty partition, once finished I booted into P 9 and restored the snapshot of the original P 10 into the new P 10. Then I booted into the new P 10 and installed apt-clone and ran
sudo apt-clone restore ~/Documents/mypackages/apt-clone-state-albert-desktop.tar.gz
Everything got installed except the Ice SSB's I had made and Gradio's library list which I added. I had to remake my symlinks for my home folders and my side panel didn't duplicate or even show up but I would call it a success. Anyway, I thought I would share that with you guys.  :)
What was I thinking?