Choose style:

Author Topic: Can I manually upgrade Peppermint 9 to Peppermint 10 ?  (Read 4051 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Can I manually upgrade Peppermint 9 to Peppermint 10 ?
« on: May 23, 2019, 03:00:47 pm »
Here are the instructions to manually upgrade Peppermint 9 to Peppermint 10 .. you use these at your own risk, but they should be safe enough.

First of all MAKE SURE PEPPERMINT 9 IS FULLY UPDATED before you begin below

Now in Peppermint 9, open a terminal and run:
Code: [Select]
gksudo xed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/peppermint.list
and make it read:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/peppermintos/p10-release/ubuntu bionic main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/peppermintos/p10-release/ubuntu bionic main
SAVE the file and exit the text editor.

Back in the terminal run:
gksudo xed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/peppermint.list.save
and make it read:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/peppermintos/p10-release/ubuntu bionic main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/peppermintos/p10-release/ubuntu bionic main

sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get remove --purge mintinstall-flatpak-support
(don't worry if that last command failed, it just means it wasn't installed to begin with)

then
sudo apt-get install mintinstall
then
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Got to
Menu > Settings > Customise Look and Feel
and on the "Widget" tab, select the "Peppermint-10-Red-Dark" theme, and "Apply" it.
(It's important that you make that change now, but you can change it to something else once we're finished)

Go to
Menu > Accessories > Wallpapers
select the "Peppermint-10.png" wallpaper, and "Apply" it.
(again it's important that you make that change now, but you can change it to something else once we're finished)

Back in the terminal run
xed ~/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf
find the [GTK] section that will read something like:-
[GTK]
sNet/ThemeName=Peppermint-Red-Dark
sNet/IconThemeName=Pepirus-Dark
sGtk/FontName=Ubuntu 11
iGtk/ToolbarStyle=3
iGtk/ButtonImages=1
iGtk/MenuImages=1
iGtk/CursorThemeSize=18
iXft/Antialias=1
iXft/Hinting=1
sXft/HintStyle=hintfull
sXft/RGBA=rgb
sGtk/CursorThemeName=DMZ-White
sGtk/ColorScheme=
iGtk/ToolbarIconSize=3
iNet/EnableEventSounds=1
iNet/EnableInputFeedbackSounds=1
and instead make it read:-
[GTK]
sNet/ThemeName=Peppermint-10-Red-Dark
sNet/IconThemeName=Pepirus-Dark
sGtk/FontName=Ubuntu 11
iGtk/ToolbarStyle=3
iGtk/ButtonImages=1
iGtk/MenuImages=1
iGtk/CursorThemeSize=18
iXft/Antialias=1
iXft/Hinting=1
sXft/HintStyle=hintfull
sXft/RGBA=rgb
sGtk/CursorThemeName=DMZ-White
sGtk/ColorScheme=
iGtk/ToolbarIconSize=3
iNet/EnableEventSounds=1
iNet/EnableInputFeedbackSounds=1
iXft/DPI=98304

sudo apt-get install peppermint-font-dpi-settings peppermint-system-info light-locker light-locker-settings gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 python3-smbc xreader gist libpeas-1.0-python2loader libzeitgeist-1.0-1 ruby-json plymouth-theme-peppermint-10 plymouth-theme-peppermint-10-text
then
sudo apt-get remove --purge evince evince-common plymouth-theme-peppermint-9 plymouth-theme-peppermint-9-text
then
sudo update-initramfs -uk all
then
/usr/bin/reset-xfce4-panel
then
cp /etc/skel/.local/share/applications/firefoxsend.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/firefoxsend.desktop

Now fire up
Menu > Accessories > Text Editor
and in it, go to
Edit > Preferences > Theme
and make sure the theme is set to "Peppermint"

Okay at this point you're more or less done, the only other difference between Peppermint 9 and Peppermint 10 is that 10 uses the newer rolling kernel and xorg stack from the HWE (hardware enablement stack).

WARNING - From this point onwards you could easily break your system, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, and I'll accept no responsibility of you choose to continue.

Okay, switching to the HWE comes with risks .. your hardware may not like the HWE and switching to it could kill your currently working system, so unless you have an absolute need for the later kernel STOP HERE. Basically if Peppermint 9 has been running well for you STOP HERE, adding the HWE could break your system.

For those that want to ignore the above warning, see here for instructions on switching to the HWE-18.04 (I'm not posting the command here, nor will I support it if it goes wrong)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
you're looking for the command for 18.04 DESKTOP .. but again don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 12:45:02 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DenW

• Linux User - Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 upgrade 64bit
Re: Can I manually upgrade Peppermint 9 to Peppermint 10 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:43:09 pm »
Thanks for this upgrade path from Pep 9 to Pep10.  I followed Jim Acklaw's Youtube video earlier and only had a problem with Font DPI changer (which you solved above) and xed Text Editor - which I still cannot get working without getting the following Terminal error when launched xed is launched from Terminal:
denis@denis-K40IN ~ $ xed
(xed:9045): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 21:01:05.102: gdk_window_get_window_type: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

I have set Theme to Peppermint as suggested but still get this error.  xed seemingly launches OK direct from Menu but I'm leery of using with this "Critical Error".  I have installed Featherpad and this works fine from Terminal and direct from Menu.  Any way to get xed working without error?

I have also installed all the suggested background packages as suggested in your above post which were not included when I upgraded originally.

For my information as a relative Noobie would you please explain exactly what "sudo update-initramfs -uk all" and "/usr/bin/reset-xfce4-panel" do because I don't like issuing commands in case they might wreck my system?!
Also what does "firefoxsend.desktop" do - I have copied it over but wondered where that came from now?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 08:44:35 am »
The terminal warnings from xed can safely be ignored, they have no affect on functionality.

sudo update-initramfs -uk all
rebuilds the initramfs (initial root filesystem) for ALL installed kernels .. this is just so the new plymouth splash screen loads with ALL kernels, and not just the default one (which itself would have been rebuilt when the new plymouth theme was loaded)

is going to reset the xfce4-panel to defaults (after backing up the current configuration) .. in case you've made some changes to the panel that might break Xfce Panel Switch working properly with the new Peppermint 10 panel scheme.
(it's a 'deeper' reset to the panel than simply changing the scheme in Xfce Panel Switch)

firefoxsend.desktop
is the new Firefox Send SSB .. Firefox Send is a Mozilla Service that allows you to send large files (too big for email) to other people by uploading them to the cloud, then sending a link to the other person .. you can set a password, and limit the amount of times the download link can be used before it expires.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:51:18 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DenW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 09:57:29 am »
Thanks for your prompt and complete reply. I updated initramfs for my two kernels without issue - I was wondering if -uk related to location (I am in Canada)?  I was exploring kernels and see that my current 4.15.0 will be supported until 2023 (unlike some later ones which kill my wifi as discussed in an earlier thread) - so I am not updating my kernel/HWE stack on this 10 year-old laptop.
If I reset my current panel can I retrieve that configuration or does that defeat the panel reset just performed ?!  Have not tried to use Panel Switch yet.
Enjoying using my personal Pep10 on my aging laptop - it performs well except for Firefox with many tabs and Youtube max is 720p.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 10:18:21 am »
I was wondering if -uk related to location (I am in Canada)?

No, those two command options are
-u     ==     Update the existing initramfs
-k     ==     Update the initramfs for a specific kernel .. but used with the additonal "all" option means "update them all"

I was exploring kernels and see that my current 4.15.0 will be supported until 2023 (unlike some later ones which kill my wifi as discussed in an earlier thread) - so I am not updating my kernel/HWE stack on this 10 year-old laptop.

4.15 is indeed supported until 2023, where the current 4.18 kernel via the hwe-18.04 is not .. BUT .. if you choose to switch to the hwe-18.04 track your , kernel will automatically roll onto a newer kernel series BEFORE support ends .. so in either case the kernel will be fully supported for the life of Peppermint 10

Now I'm not suggesting you should switch .. if the 4.15 kernel is working for you I'd probably advise against it .. just putting the record straight, I wouldn't want people thinking Peppermint 10 will be stuck on an unsupported kernel, THEY WILL NOT ;)

If I reset my current panel can I retrieve that configuration or does that defeat the panel reset just performed ?!  Have not tried to use Panel Switch yet.

Yes you could recover your current panel layout (that command does back it up) but it's not automated .. if you've customised your panel layout and are happy it's working 'as is', just ignore that bit of the instructions .. it can always be run later if you run into any problems.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 02:01:07 pm »
4.15 is indeed supported until 2023, where the current 4.18 kernel via the hwe-18.04 is not [...]

Now I'm not suggesting you should switch .. if the 4.15 kernel is working for you I'd probably advise against it [...]

Dittos...

I run Linux 4.15.x kernel on several machines.

The one I'm on now is running Linux 4.15-23 (UEFI/Secure Boot), and it's rock solid:

╭─vindsl@Boogaloo-6 ~ 
╰─$ inxi -Sxxxz             
System:    Host: Boogaloo-6 Kernel: 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: N/A info: xfce4-panel dm: lightdm Distro: Peppermint Nine
╭─vindsl@Boogaloo-6 ~
╰─$ uptime -p               
up 5 weeks, 23 hours, 21 minutes

The only time I reboot this box is after accumulating and installing several weeks worth of updates.

Linux 4.15 is my go-to kernel for rigs that MUST be up 24/7/365, especially when I'm 1000s of miles from the abode.

[The missus wouldn't have a clue how to start the bots]

For test machines... Meh!

Let the good times roll. Run whatever you want. The more breakage, the better IMO  ;D

Offline DenW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 05:16:16 pm »
Thanks again guys - Peppermint support is the best!  I kind of assumed -uk was not UK only or you would have commented appropriately - nice to have clarification.  I have had wifi problems with 4.18.0 and 5.0.0 kernels now available in update manager so will happily stay on 4.15.0-50 (although I had previously experienced wifi problems with -47 and -48 - I am keeping -46 just in case).  Big believer in the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" so my panel is nicely setup and working just fine so I won't run the reset script unless I have problems.
Hopefully I can continue to "just use" Peppermint 10 for at least the next 6 months as it is my daily driver.  Still love to browse these forums for ideas as there are many good ideas for improving distro operation.  Many thanks to the Peppermint team for all their hard work and making this one of the best Linux forums.

Offline Screagle

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10ish
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 09:10:40 am »
Hi to all - Screagle landing here as well. So excited to see that Peppermint 10 is available - well done everyone!

Usually I go for a fresh install for a new release but this time round having nothing to lose I opted for the manual upgrade.  I dutifully ensured my OS 9 had the latest updates then proceeded as above All went well until I ran
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
at which point I received the following error message:
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-M6gXm5/17-mintinstall_7.9.7+peppermint0.0.0_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I pressed on regardless but things went downhill from there.  I've got something thta looks like POS10 running but Update Manager is listing mintinstall package for update and that keeps failing with:
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mintinstall_7.9.7+peppermint0.0.0_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/etc/xdg/autostart/mintinstall-update-flatpak.desktop', which is also in package mintinstall-flatpak-support 7.9.4+peppermint9.0.0.0

(Reading database ... 610908 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../init-system-helpers_1.56+nmu1~ubuntu18.04.1_all.deb ...
Unpacking init-system-helpers (1.56+nmu1~ubuntu18.04.1) over (1.51) ...
Setting up init-system-helpers (1.56+nmu1~ubuntu18.04.1) ...
(Reading database ... 610908 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../init_1.56+nmu1~ubuntu18.04.1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking init (1.56+nmu1~ubuntu18.04.1) over (1.51) ...
Preparing to unpack .../mintinstall_7.9.7+peppermint0.0.0_all.deb ...
Unpacking mintinstall (7.9.7+peppermint0.0.0) over (7.9.4+peppermint9.0.0.3) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mintinstall_7.9.7+peppermint0.0.0_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/etc/xdg/autostart/mintinstall-update-flatpak.desktop', which is also in package mintinstall-flatpak-support 7.9.4+peppermint9.0.0.0
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/mintinstall_7.9.7+peppermint0.0.0_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up init (1.56+nmu1~ubuntu18.04.1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
Apologies for how I've posted this.  I started my reply before reminding myself how to format.  So what have I done wrong and what should I do next?

If the advice is just fresh install then I'll go with that but need to understand the implications of  a fresh install with the 4.18 kernel for my Acer ZG5.

Thanks in anticipation

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:46:23 am by PCNetSpec »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 09:43:23 am »
Hi Screagle, and welcome to the forum :)

Run:
sudo apt-get remove --purge mintinstall-flatpak-support
then
sudo apt-get install mintinstall
did that fix things ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Screagle

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 10:46:02 am »
Many thanks, Mark - mintinstall issue sorted but when I run:

this is the output:

(xfpanel-switch.py:1755): dbind-WARNING **: 15:39:08.779: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Am thinking this is a bad thing?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 11:12:16 am »
Nah, just ignore that :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Screagle

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 05:26:56 am »
I've upgraded three devices to POS10 as instructed above and all is going well.  One current glitch that is difficult to replicate and beyond my capabilities to screenshot is that when the laptop / netbook is not connected to a/c and is left for a while a different screen layout (with POS10 background) is presented requesting user login.  It looks like it might be an Ubuntu screen but then I wouldn't recognise that!   Anyway I don't have OS or device password access requirement configured so it's a bit of a puzzle.  Any thoughts?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 06:25:31 am »
The default username for a live session is peppermint and the password is blank (press Enter).

It's the power manager/screen lock settings that are causing this to happen.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 09:47:29 am »
Do you mean this screen

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Screagle

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 03:49:32 am »
Yes, that's the one!  I have a couple of later screenshots showing error messages when Guest Session is selected (I think) that I can post if of interest.  Otherwise it all works fine if I use my superuser password.