Choose style:

Author Topic: upgradent 9 to peppermint 10  (Read 337 times)

Offline bobde

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
upgradent 9 to peppermint 10
« on: May 20, 2019, 06:52:07 pm »
Is there an upgrade available to version 10.. I'm a monitor for a large computer users group and we have a large number of people using version 9. An upgrade would sure make life alot easier..

Thanks
 Bob
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:12:55 am by PCNetSpec »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: upgradent 9 to peppermint 10
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 07:32:14 pm »
CURRENTLY (as explained in the release notes) Peppermint 10 would require a fresh/clean installation, not even keeping a /home partition from a previous version/distro.

In due course instruction for MANUALLY upgrading Peppermint 9 --> 10 will be posted on this forum, but ONLY when they've been FULLY tested, then tested again :)

But..

We will not be providing in-situ upgrades as an automated process because in-situ upgrades ALWAYS come with risk, and they encourage users to attempt them without backing up first. A fresh install forces users to consider what they NEED to keep and ensures they back it up.

Posting instructions to MANUALLY upgrade will also be easier to support, the user will already be on the support forum (because that's where the instructions will be posted) and as a clear series of steps, should something go wrong it'll be easier for us to figure out at which step it went wrong and affect a solution. This has to be a consideration where support manpower is at a premium.

I should also add that sure, where we push users towards a 'fresh install' any data loss could never be considered 'our fault', yet any data loss incurred via an automated process certainly WILL be considered 'our fault' .. so there is a certain level of self protection going on here, but it's selfishness aimed at protecting the user as much as us. As i said, there is ALWAYS a small risk, and with limited support manpower available to us it makes perfect sense for us to keep this risk to an absolute minimum, and therefore be able to offer support in the few cases where things don't quite go as expected.

I'll get around to writing up the manual upgrade instructions in about a week when things quieten down a bit, so please check back here then .. thanks for your patience and understanding :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:13:07 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pdvossen11

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Re: upgradent 9 to peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 10:07:07 am »
I would like to upgrade to 10, but I dual boot with three linux systems Ubuntu Mate, Kubuntu and Peppermint. Running an ISO to upgrade seems quite difficult unless I somehow. Ah, nope better not do that. LOL. Thinking crazy thoughts. The only real choice would be to upgrade through apt-get if I have a mechanism. Anyways, thinking about it. Otherwise, everything is working fine in 9 and I'm good. If anyone has some ideas, let me know.

Patrick

CURRENTLY (as explained in the release notes) Peppermint 10 would require a fresh/clean installation, not even keeping a /home partition from a previous version/distro.

In due course instruction for MANUALLY upgrading Peppermint 9 --> 10 will be posted on this forum, but ONLY when they've been FULLY tested, then tested again :)

But..

We will not be providing in-situ upgrades as an automated process because in-situ upgrades ALWAYS come with risk, and they encourage users to attempt them without backing up first. A fresh install forces users to consider what they NEED to keep and ensures they back it up.

Posting instructions to MANUALLY upgrade will also be easier to support, the user will already be on the support forum (because that's where the instructions will be posted) and as a clear series of steps, should something go wrong it'll be easier for us to figure out at which step it went wrong and affect a solution. This has to be a consideration where support manpower is at a premium.

I should also add that sure, where we push users towards a 'fresh install' any data loss could never be considered 'our fault', yet any data loss incurred via an automated process certainly WILL be considered 'our fault' .. so there is a certain level of self protection going on here, but it's selfishness aimed at protecting the user as much as us. As i said, there is ALWAYS a small risk, and with limited support manpower available to us it makes perfect sense for us to keep this risk to an absolute minimum, and therefore be able to offer support in the few cases where things don't quite go as expected.

I'll get around to writing up the manual upgrade instructions in about a week when things quieten down a bit, so please check back here then .. thanks for your patience and understanding :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec