Choose style:

Author Topic: Failed Dual Boot Install/Now Password Hosed  (Read 310 times)

Offline PeppermintPete

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Failed Dual Boot Install/Now Password Hosed
« on: May 19, 2019, 02:15:09 pm »
Wanted to install version 10 'alongside' version 9, and was given that option on first boot of the v10 iso.  But this was a vbox vm with only 10GB of total disk space, so when it came to 'resize' my partition, I was unable to move the slider at all.

So I backed out of the installation, and 'reverted', where I saw my virtual disk return to normal (no harm done, or so I thought). I added a 2nd virtual disk and rebooted.

But now there was NO OPTION for a dual install. Worse, even after deleting my new virtual disk, the option STILL did not return.

Worst of all,  I can no longer log into my 9 install! This is not a huge deal as I had only used Peppermint a couple of times and it's just a vm. But I find it more than little disturbing that corrupting an installation is that easy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:17:46 pm by PeppermintPete »

Offline PeppermintPete

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Failed Dual Boot Install/Now Password Hosed
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 04:42:10 pm »
UPDATE: I even followed the directions at 'https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1355' to boot into a root console and change my original password (which I did NOT forget; never do). I am still unable to log in. All this after what I thought was an aborted install of version 10 (where nothing should have been altered).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:15:10 pm by PeppermintPete »

Offline PeppermintPete

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 08:11:00 pm »
UPDATE #2: Well, it looks like once you're at the point of manually resizing the selected install partition (at the 'slider'), the damage is already done. I could have sworn there was a 'Revert' button and a visual indicator that I still only had one partition. But when I attempted a complete reinstall (having given up), I noticed my 10GB partition had been reduced to 4.5GB. Obviously, this caused the corrupt install, or perhaps my passwd and/or shadow files. OTOH, perhaps I am just below the 5% threshold set by 'tune2fs' (which prevents a partition from filling up and crashing the whole system). I will see if I can resize my partition back to 10GB, and report back what I find later.

Offline PeppermintPete

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 09:06:09 pm »
UPDATE #3: I was able to use 'cfdisk' along with 'resize2fs' to restore my partition to 10GB. I was able to successfully boot... but was still unable to login. I will try one more thing: to reset my password once more, and report back.

Offline PeppermintPete

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 09:25:07 pm »
FINAL NOTE: After resizing my partition to its original size (which neither the initial resize done by the installation routine, nor my manual resizing of partition and filesystem seem to have done anything but hose the system, as everything up to the Peppermint login screen appears to be intact) and doing one more reset of both my root and main passwords, I still cannot log in. NOTE also that attempts to 'guest login' also fail: failure is characterized by a quick blank screen, after which the login screen simply returns over and over.

So this only leaves me with criticism for the design of the Peppermint installer, as well as the forum here (I have gotten NO help from anyone but myself). The partitions should not be created or resized UNTIL the installation process is visibly underway, and some visual and/or textual cues should warn the user that he has resized his partition and possibly damaged his installation. You're welcome and good luck with Peppermint. I will be moving on to other distros.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:28:52 pm by PeppermintPete »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 03:30:10 am »

The installer comes from Ubuntu, not Peppermint;) 
Since I have never used a vm I cannot provide any assistance to you.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 07:10:04 pm »
Okay according to the forum timestamps I make that 7 hours and 10 minutes between first post, continuing to dig the hole deeper, giving up, rendering the possibility of any assistance a moot point, then complaining about not having received that assistance .. half of which was late at night.

As far as I'm aware Ubiquity (the installer) never commits partition table changes to disk without displaying a warning and prompting the user for their permission before continuing to do so.. at least it never has for me.
(but I must admit I never use the slider)

Good luck on you future Linux journey.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:20:51 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 08:51:04 pm »
Same day service in a help forum is a rarity. I can't remember getting a response in the Ubuntu help forum in less than two days and even longer in the Mint forum.
What was I thinking?