Author Topic: Where are my apps  (Read 5098 times)

Offline sai

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
Where are my apps
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:07 pm »
Hello,
I have just installed peppermint 5 on my laptop, i have a few questions. I'm a total noob at linux and have used the terminal only in a couple of occasions, so please explain stuff to me like I'm a 5 year old :P :D
Firstly, where are my installed apps. Example, i have just installed kolourpaint, xbacklight etc,. where can i find these apps?

Secondly, in Ubuntu, whenever i pressed 'Alt' button or the 'Windows' button, a search bar used to pop up and i could search for any thing and everything. Is there such a provision on Peppermint?

Thirdly, I'm not finding the menu available on Peppermint very useful... Is there someway i can get a better desktop user interface?

Thanks ^_^

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
Re: Where are my apps
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:14:31 am »
Hi im also a noob but im catching on quick thanks to everyone on this forum.
Ok for one your APPS (not sure what apps you have never heard of those) should be
in your menu  the paint one sounds like it should be in 'graphics' in the drop down menu.
ALso if you want to search for files you can go to menu accessories file search and it will
open a window like mac or windows where you can search for a file.

Also if you wish to install a dock like mac you can install cairo-dock which is really nice
and load up your main apps, programs, browser etc from the dock and move your panel
up to the top it gives it a more mac like feel and i find it a bit more user friendly.  also
there is something called 'software manager' it should be in your menu at the bottom
this allows you to search for a program and you can click and install apps/programs etc
with out using the terminal you may find this useful. 

Sorry if i wasn't super helpful im near here but with in a week or 2 you will catch on
just ask questions everyone here is very helpful for use newbees.

here is a screen shot of my desktop with a dock installed and a cleaner blue theme
new wall paper etc etc.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4no27ykpkqy4n2/desktop.png
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:24:35 am by iamesperambient »
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline sai

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:22:13 am »
@iamesperambient

Thanks a lot for the reply!
I found my paint app in the graphics bar as you mentioned. I found the brightness control too.
I'm pretty comfortable using the software manager, checking out apps right now.

But i still wish there was a search function right on my desktop, it would be really helpful if there is some widget/app like that.

I looked at Cairo-dock, find it difficult to understand the installation process, will look at it once again and try.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:26:08 am »
i can help you install cario dock
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4no27ykpkqy4n2/desktop.png
that is my desktop and how it will look i have file seach loaded on my desk top
for a quick search you can do the same :)

if you need help installing the dock i can help.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:31:56 am »
read over this thread i posted in regards to docks, it has a lot of info on here from people on here it helped me a great deal.
should have all the info you need to get it installed and set up.
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,702.0.html

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 12:36:10 am »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 01:29:05 am »
Good morning sai from sunny Amsterdam.  Welcome to Peppermint.  :)!  You may like to have a look a the run app.  It is located towards the bottom of the main menu or it can be opened with the following keystrokes:  Alt+F2. Enter the name of the programme you wish to open.  Unfortunately, your question, "Is there some way I can get a better desktop user interface?" is a little too subjective to be answered without sounding partisan. 

The developers at Peppermint have determined that LXDE coupled with the Xfwm4 window manager provides the best environment to achieve Peppermint's core objectives.  This does not stop you from choosing your own environment.  In fact when you are comfortable, I recommend that you have a play around with different ones.  Most of the desktop environments are available in the repositories and are easy to install.  If you could be a little more specific to what you are looking for?  Someone will get back to you with either a way of achieving it in LXDE or advise you with an alternative solution.  I hope this helps  ;).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:30:43 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 02:38:45 am »
Hi, sai:

I agree with AndyInMokum: you can very quickly (probably more quickly than getting your mouse pointer onto a desktop icon and clicking on it) open the run app with the simple method of pressing and holding the Alt key and, while still holding the Alt key in the pressed position, pressing the F2 key.

The only thing is: this method requires that you know the correct name of the program you wish to start. If you do not know it then it cannot guess which program you would like to start. :P

For searching for files, etc. the run app will not really help you. The file search app is the program catfish. After pressing Alt+F2 you should then enter catfish and it will then start and permit you to search for files.

Another possibility for you to play around with is just create a desktop shortcut to catfish. This will permit you to move your mouse pointer onto the desktop shortcut, where clicking it will also start catfish.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,
-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 05:30:43 am »
You could always try installing xfce4-appfinder by opening a terminal and running:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install xfce4-appfinderYou'll then find it in the menu at

menu > Accessories > Appliication Finder

Theoretically this could be launched from a dockbar and used as a makeshift menu

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:36:47 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sai

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 03:27:36 pm »
Thank you all for the replies! Wonderful!

I have tried Ubuntu 14.04 on my previous laptop, Mint 17 and now peppermint on my 2 day old laptop.
After reading that Peppermint is one of the most lightweight OS's out there, i have decided to stick with this.
The why i shifted from Mint 17 is because my function keys were not working, because of which i wasn't able to decrease the brightness of my screen and as a result, my eyes are very tired. But sifting to peppermint OS hasn't changed that. I have managed to download this Brightness Controller which i have to open everytime i start the laptop.

I have taken your suggestions regarding using ALT+F2 and cat fish, I also have installed Cairo Desktop, a combination of all these have made my life much easier. I won't need that XFCE thing now, but thanks for the advice.

But I'm facing new problems now, I'm not able to play any of my mp3 files. I tried installing various top audio players but it's just not playing. What is wrong?
And there us a bar right on top of the screen which says 'Chromium', or 'Libre Office' or whatever i'm using. How can i get rid of it?

Thanks a lot for your responses :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:59:16 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 04:09:49 pm »

But I'm facing new problems now, I'm not able to play any of my mp3 files. I tried installing various top audio players but it's just not playing. What is wrong?

Have you tried installing VLC media player, it plays almost every audio and video file known to man...   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 04:21:19 pm »
Hi sai, you say you have tried to install various top audio players.  Can you be more specific?  What players and how did you try to install them?   Can you open the system default player, Guayadeque?  menu>Sound & Video>Music Player.  Test a mp3 with that.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 05:09:10 pm »
you should try installing 'redshif gui' for the screen. it actually adjusts the screen to the ambient light, so its bright during the day
and has a red hue at night (it seems odd at first) but actualy helps your eyes adjust and avoids eyestrain and won'tkeep you up
late at night, and it also has a brightness setting with in the gui.

Try using audacious audio player i find it to be the best of all the ones i have tried.
What kind of files are the audio if its an odd file i would recommend VLC as suggested
its known for playing almost every audio and video file out there i would give that a shot.

I'm sorry i'm not sure what you mean on the last question. i hope i was some what helpful to you.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 05:12:02 pm »
wait is the 'bar' you speak of did that show up after you installed cario-dock? if thats the case it may be another sub dock thats at the top
if thats the case than right click and hit remove dock and it should go away. if thats not what you mean than maybe someone else knows.

Offline sai

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 06:56:43 pm »

In that pic i drew a line across one bar on the top. I remember making that bar disappear while i was using Ubuntu and Mint, but forgot how to do it.

@rjm65, I forgot to try with VLC, I don't have a habit of using VLC for audio only files. So, after you suggested i tried VLC and it's working.

@AndyInMokum, Yeah i tried Guayadeque first, then i tried banshee(which played these same files when i was using Linux Mint 17, the  i tried a couple of others, they aren't working. But VLC is working for the time being. These are simple mp3 files, nothing fancy.

@iamesperambient
I found 'redshift' in the software manager. Installed it, couldn't find it in my list of apps, but started it using the 'run' command line and my screen has turned all red!
Not sure if this is gonna be of any help...