Choose style:

Author Topic: It would appear INTEL wants us to disable Hyper-Threading - What say ye?  (Read 445 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
I've read several accounts of the latest side-channel attack vectors on Intel CPUs.

The general consensus, on various tech sites, is to turn-off hyper-threading and leave it off, permanently.

Opinions are like bung holes - everyone has one, so I discounted this generalized advice.

Fast-forward to today (18-May-2019). I ran across this (14-May-2019) video from Intel, itself:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/mds.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, after watching Intel's cautiously worded tale.

Looks like they're promoting the idea of disabling hyper-threading, too.

What say ye? Do we do, or do we don't  :-\

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
NetBSD released a couple of days ago the first iteration of 8.0 as 8.1-RC_1 and one of the features is the possibility to switch of HT...
WTF, if I wanted that I'd have installed OpenBSD instead, then I could go out for a three-course dinner while compilling whatever from source.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Yup, the speed benefits of all that side channel malarkey is the only reason I've been running Intel CPUs, for the last few years.

Personally, I'm not disabling anything.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:40:06 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Just checked for the latest stable kernel...

Code: [Select]
╭─vindsl@Boogaloo-6 ~ 
╰─$ curl -s https://www.kernel.org/releases.json | jq '.latest_stable.version' -r 1 ↵
╭─vindsl@Boogaloo-6 ~
╰─$

Guess I'll shoehorn it into P10, and call it a day  8)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
I saw the other day that they wanted people to disable hyper threading. I was like: "yeah, that'll happen."  ::)

That's like saying you could be hit by a drunk driver while driving, so you need to shoot the tires out in your car to prevent it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
If I were a paid up member of tin hat anonymous, I might think this is all a clever marketing ploy .. keep slowing people down till they need to buy new hardware.

I mean people don't buy the latest CPU monthly like they did in the 90's just to keep up with the latest 33Mhz speed boost.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:26:56 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Right. It's like the RFID protector industry.

There has never been a single documented case of someone stealing anyone's identity, emptying their bank account, making a bogus purchase, or whatevs, using a captured RFID code.

Yet, ppl think they need to buy RFID blocking wallets, passport folders, and so forth. LoL

You'd think the RFID industry would hire some blackhats for a false flag, to prove blockers are needed.

The thought has occurred to me (too) that's exactly what Intel is doing - for the reason(s) you stated.  ::)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I'm sure AMD will send them a nice thank you letter for the increase in business.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
I mean people don't buy the latest CPU monthly like they did in the 90's just to keep up with the latest 33Mhz speed boost.

Gotta admit, I've been thinking about building an Intel Core i5-9400F machine - like I need another rig.

I'm trying to talk myself out of it, which is a good sign for Intel, and a bad sign for my non-RFID protected wallet.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-9400F/4031vsm699058

I've seen the Intel  i5-9400F for $125.00-ish USD, recently. it's awfully tempting...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
I'm sure AMD will send them a nice thank you letter for the increase in business.

No, they'd agree to go along with it (spectre) as long as they look a 'little' better than intel, share in the good times by selling their more powerful/next line processors too.

This kinda con only ever works if everyone in the industry agrees to go along .. look at banks/insurance/etc.

Hot damn, I **AM** a paid up member of tin hats anon .. my card was just delivered :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Right. It's like the RFID protector industry.

There has never been a single documented case of someone stealing anyone's identity, emptying their bank account, making a bogus purchase, or whatevs, using a captured RFID code.

Yet, ppl think they need to buy RFID blocking wallets, passport folders, and so forth. LoL

You'd think the RFID industry would hire some blackhats for a false flag, to prove blockers are needed.

The thought has occurred to me (too) that's exactly what Intel is doing - for the reason(s) you stated.  ::)

But it's been demonstrated as a workable concept. Watch out for people standing "six inches from your credit card".  :D

https://abc7chicago.com/technology/secretly-swiped-your-account-numbers-taken-out-of-thin-air/510920/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:51:59 pm by murraymint »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
If someone is holding an electronic device six inches or less from your pants, be worried (especially if it's the TSA.)

No, they'd agree to go along with it (spectre) as long as they look a 'little' better than intel, share in the good times by selling their more powerful/next line processors too.

This kinda con only ever works if everyone in the industry agrees to go along .. look at banks/insurance/etc.

Hot damn, I **AM** a paid up member of tin hats anon .. my card was just delivered :)

Yeah, so far AMD isn't claiming any such issues this time. But, we'll see.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
it's been demonstrated as a workable concept. Watch out for people standing "six inches from your credit card".  :D

And there's definitely something shady about her (though I can't quite put my finger on it):-

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:02:11 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile

WHOA!

Made some new converts today...  ;D

RFID FTW!

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
My Intel Pentium Dual E2220 processor don't have hyper-threading so perhaps a plus on the hyper-threading issue.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:02:32 pm by 151tom »