Choose style:

Author Topic: Google uses receipts sent to Gmail to log all of your online purchases  (Read 265 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
The only way to delete purchase records is by deleting every single email receipt you've ever received, one by one.

Not. Good. Enough.

SOURCE: https://www.techspot.com/news/80134-google-uses-receipts-sent-gmail-log-online-purchases.html

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
my purchase record is empty, not sure about hubster's. Perhaps that's a good reason to use useless ISP provided email addys, I barely use gmail anymore, but then again I closed my Cox Cable accounts as they required too much triage attention. Opened a Proton Mail account not long ago, but always forget its on my phone.
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Mine isn't empty. Oh no, Google might find out that I buy video games, computer components, movies and knives.  :-[

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Wait what ? .. so Google track my online presence ? .. when did this trickery start ?

They're not gonna get much from my gmail account .. I have one, but it's used roughly biennially and never for anything of 'import' (both meanings).

From all their other trackers .. they probably know how many hairs on my left buttock ::)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:12:52 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
They probably know I just bought 3 movies off of Ebay. :o

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Now we do too.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
I'm a Google Local Guide, so they watch, listen and track everywhere I go, and everything I do.

I *think* they're doing the same thing to everyone - they just don't ping them, and ask them questions.

They send me a report, each month, and show me everywhere I've been, how many miles I drove my car, and so forth, and so on. It's probably 1% of the data they're capturing about me.

Reminds me of that old movie, The Truman Show.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Now we do too.

I mean, it's not like it's a secret or anything. I have a few hundred DVDs and Blu-Rays. The three I bought were two old Godzilla films on Blu-Ray and Coming to America on DVD. The seller was having a promotion where buying three films got a discount. :)

Though, I do have to credit that article. I had no idea that Gmail had some e-mails saved that I'd **thought** I'd deleted, going back about 8 years. I don't know why that stuff was there, or even where they were, but I saw stuff in my purchase history linked to e-mails that should have been deleted ages ago, so I went hunting. I hit "All Mail" and saw all this crap that should have been long gone. ::)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
I had no idea that Gmail had some e-mails saved that I'd **thought** I'd deleted, going back about 8 years. I hit "All Mail" and saw all this crap that should have been long gone. ::)

You saved me a LOT of typing - doing a POC - trying to prove what I'm about to say.

Gmail keeps everything. You cannot delete anything. And, yes, it's in a sub-folder called "All Mail". Most ppl have never seen it.

I've always used IMAP, and I realized this, from day-one, when I was invited to participate in beta testing.

I don't normally subscribe to "All Mail". There's just too much stuff in there. But, when and if I do subscribe to it, I can see... all mail. That is, everything since the moment I was accepted in the beta program to now.

Boy, were those the days. If you had a Gmail account, you were like an Internet star. It was quite the honor.

Ppl were actually willing to pay for an invite - they were so desperate to get a Gmail address. LoL  ;D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Yeah, I knew "All Mail" existed, I just didn't realize that there was stuff that should have been deleted in there. Now I know, so I'll be on the lookout for it. I still have stuff in my purchase history that claims I need to delete the e-mail to make it go away, though the e-mails are now deleted. But, there may be a system delay.

I don't really care if Google keeps a purchase history on me. It's weird, but that's the world we live in. Nothing is private anymore. I just want to test if their system works or not, and if deleting the e-mails really makes stuff go away. I swear some of the stuff that was on the list from the past few months is stuff where the e-mail didn't pop up when I looked at "All Mail." ::)

When I signed up for my Gmail account, you still had to put in a code to prove you're a human. I had them call and send me the code. Ah, those were the days. Now, so many scambots have Gmail accounts that they've become just as bad as Hotmail and Yahoo Mail.