Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 7 no longer boots properly  (Read 339 times)

Offline mlndp99

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Peppermint 7 no longer boots properly
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:49:01 pm »
Basically I can't boot into my P7 installation anymore. Here's what I did:

I installed the OS
Switched to the proprietary nvidia driver

Then I decided to switch to another nvidia driver (version 390 I think). Then I rebooted and now the OS isn't working right... It flashes a few times after booting and gets stuck at the btrfs screen!

Any ideas?

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: Peppermint 7 no longer boots properly
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 08:39:50 pm »
When the screen is blank, is there any login text or just a blinking cursor, then does the screen go off???

Do you still have the installation USB, or disc? We might be able to reinstall the Nouveau drivers? Might mind.
The 390 drivers have always been a pain. Even here on 18.04, they don't play ball. I hope you did not have anything important on your computer, before it went belly up? The only way I can see getting out of this, is and you're going to hate me saying it, do a fresh install. Instead of going for the Additional Drivers first, go for the updates, then reboot, then put in this PPA Open a terminal, which is located on your panel, third in from Menu. copy and paste this PPA into it.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa This PPA has the latest open source and proprietary drivers.
sudo apt-get update
Once the terminal has finished searching and adding this PPA and reading updates, it will say that something is upgradable enter sudo apt upgrade and down will come Vulcan upgrade, let that install. Come out of terminal hit menu then settings, then additional drivers. I highly recommend the 396 drivers, install them.

Could you please type in Terminal
inxi -Fz this command will load up everything about your computer, nothing personal about you, like what you had for dinner or anything like that. Then copy it and paste it here on this page, it'll give us a bit more info to go on, to help you out further, as I'm sure someone on here will have a better answer for you, than doing a fresh install. Many thanks ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:55:42 pm by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 12:46:54 am »
DISCLAIMER: I don't have or use nvidia!
Lets see if I got this right...

Your install was working fine with the noveau drivers. You've then installed nvidia 390. Was the system booting and working with this driver??!!
You've then installed another driver and now you are in trouble.

Can you drop to console at boot using Ctrl+Alt+F1?

If so, could you please in someway give us the output of
Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep nvidia
and
Code: [Select]
lspci
?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:58:09 am by pin »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 01:20:33 am »
390 worked fine on my system. Finding out what GPU you're running by do what pin suggested is a necessary first step.

Also, knowing how you went about installing the Nvidia proprietary driver will be helpful.

Edit: also, please note that reinstalling should be considered a last resort. I'm sure there are people here who can at least help you restore the nouveau driver without reinstalling.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:30:09 am by scifidude79 »