Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 10 Released.  (Read 3626 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Peppermint 10 Released.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 09:33:29 am »
No problem einar, and welcome to the forum :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 03:04:50 pm »
 8) congrats guys on a job well done.

Going to download and test, soon I'm going to post in the install thread to ask for advice on how to install Peppermint 10 over the Peppermint 8 in my dual boot setup.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline pdvossen11

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 05:04:37 pm »
Peppermint Staff,

Congrats on a new Peppermint 10. I want to upgrade but will hold off. I have three different Linux OS's and not sure I want to add Peppermint 10 individually, as 9 is flawless. If I could upgrade via terminal, that might be a positive option. I will wait till that option might be available.

Patrick

Offline pdvossen11

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 05:12:04 pm »

Congrats on 10. As I said on a previous post I will wait till manual ( terminal upgrade ), as everything is working flawlessy on 9. I also have three Linux OS's already on my machine and a fresh install is not the direction I want.

Peppermint is great!

The Peppermint 10 is now available for download

The release announcement can be seen here:
https://peppermintos.com/2019/05/peppermint-10-released/
and the release notes here:
https://peppermintos.com/release-notes/

Download links are available on the big red buttons on the main site here:
https://peppermintos.com
but PLEASE use the torrents wherever possible, so not to slow the server to a crawl.

Peppermint 10 main changes:-
  • Kernel 4.18.0-18 which is now on the rolling hwe-18.04 track so will eventually roll onto the 5.xx kernel automatically as the HWE is updated upstream.
  • Updated xorg stack, again via the rolling hwe-18.04 track.
  • Proprietary nvidia graphics drivers now installed automatically if “Install third party drivers/software” is selected as part of the installation routine, this includes automatic configuration of nvidia optimus setups up to the nvidia-390 drivers. If you intend to install the later 396/410/415/418/430 drivers from the ‘Proprietary GPU Drivers’ PPA it would probably be best not to select this option during install and add them manually post-install.
  • Ice (6.0.2) – Ice now has support for isolated profiles for Chromium, Chrome, and Vivaldi SSB’s (Firefox SSB’s are ALWAYS isolated).Firefox SSB’s now also have four bookmarks included by default making the addition of addons and other configuration changes on a per-SSB basis easier. There are also other ‘under the hood’ changes, such as ICE will now rebuild your SSB profiles should you accidentally delete their directories. Also a bug that was stopping Ctrl+Tab hidden tab navigation has been fixed, as has a bug that made it difficult to install addons in Firefox SSB’s because the “Allow” dialog flickered.
  • New GUI Font DPI Settings utility allowing adjustments to system font DPI (this also fixes a bug where the proprietary nvidia drivers sometimes displayed small fonts on the panel/menu in previous version).

Updated applications:-
  • All 18.04 updates to 14th May 2019 have been rolled into the ISO, and we also have updated versions of:-
  • nemo (4.0.6) – which not only feels considerably faster at opening and rendering directory contents, but has finer grained control of desktop configuration options when you right-click the desktop and select ‘Customise’ .. ALL nemo plugins in the repository have been updated, though not all are installed by default).
  • mintinstall (7.9.7)
  • mintstick (1.39)
  • neofetch (6.0.1)
  • xed (2.0.2)
  • xplayer (2.0.2)
  • xviewer (2.0.2)

Other changes and additions:-
  • xreader (replaces evince).
  • light-locker & light-locker-settings (replaces i3lock, but users that prefer i3lock can easily change it back .. just uninstall those 2 packages and the system will automatically fall back to i3lock).
  • network-manager-pptp-gnome (now installed by default).
  • network-manager-openvpn-gnome (now installed by default).
  • New ‘Peppermint-10’ xfce-panel-switch profile (for resetting the panel).
  • New Peppermint 10 Gtk themes (multiple color variations).
  • New default xfwm4 theme to match the new Gtk themes (the new Gtk themes also have their own individual xfwm4 themes, selectable in the Peppermint Control Center).
  • The firefox-theme-lock & thunderbird-theme-lock tweaks now use the new Peppermint-10-Red-Mixed Gtk theme .. these can still be disabled in the settings panel if you want Firefox and Thunderbird (should you install it) to use the system Gtk theme.
  • Two new Peppermint 10 wallpapers by Karl Schneider (default and alternative).
  • Four additional Ray Bilcliff wallpapers.
  • New plymouth startup/shutdown screen.
  • New login/lock screen background image (also by Karl Schneider).

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 06:23:15 pm »
Ok, muchas gracias por tan pronta respuesta. Pues esperare a que publiqueis las notas de actualizacion, porque no me va nada bien instalar desde cero, ademas seria en dos ordenadores, prefiero esperar.

Saludos.

Ok, thank you very much for such a quick response. Well, I'll wait for you to publish the update notes, because it's not good for me to install from scratch, it would also be in two computers, I prefer to wait.

Greetings.

Hi einar, welcome to Peppermint. Of course the choice is yours however I would highly recommend using a DATA partition on your computers to keep your personal files separate from the operating system. That would make it extremely easy to update or do a fresh install if something were to happen to your system that would require it. Also use something like Timeshift to make a snapshot of your system, that could help prevent from having to do a fresh install. Good luck.
What was I thinking?

Offline rayzer

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 09:12:13 am »
gave 10 a test run yesterday, had no issues with it. only thing i added was the xfce4-goodies packages for some extra plugins and the usual browser extensions.. she a good one.

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 06:18:11 pm »
I want you to know I have splurged on upgrading my hotel wifi access to the premium just so I can download it and install it.  If I found a bug should I post it here?

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2019, 01:51:28 pm »
Not really for discussion on this Topic.

Create a new thread and people can respond. *

Regards Zeb...

* Moved to: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8495.0.html ~ VinDSL  ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 10:50:02 pm by VinDSL »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline Master

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 06:57:16 am »
Finally took the bullet, Been distrohopping for years, till English Bob said this is the cure, LOL, I was skeptical at first, but now I think I am gonna stick to it. :D, Pepp 10 :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 08:45:03 am »
Glad to have you onboard Master :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 03:37:02 pm »
Finally took the bullet, Been distrohopping for years, till English Bob said this is the cure, LOL, I was skeptical at first, but now I think I am gonna stick to it. :D, Pepp 10 :)

Welcome Aboard @Master.!! I found PeppermintOne nearly a decade ago now, when my laptop slowed to a crawl during the attempted upgrade from WinXP to Win8... It flew like the wind for another 7 years under all the subsequent versions of Peppermint. So I never distro hopped at all. We hope you find a home here.
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline ManjaroFan84

• nOOb
  • Mark Yates (Managed Tech Solutions)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 01:12:38 am »
I love the peppermint OS distribution. I've used this on and off again for years and Peppermint 10 is super nice.

I'm just having a nagging issue with web browser terminating unexpectedly and I've no clue why. It's crazy.
Similar stuff was happening even in Solus OS 4 also. But this is keeping me from downloading files that I need for my work.

I'm sure someone will reply at some point. I do hope I get to stay with this distribution long term.

Offline ManjaroFan84

• nOOb
  • Mark Yates (Managed Tech Solutions)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 01:14:03 am »
I posted a bug report under the right place I hope.

Offline pdvossen11

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 09:06:27 am »
Hey,

I have Peppermint 9 and want to upgrade, but I have three different Linux os's on my machine. To use a fresh install would mean to start all over, and I could never duplicate what I have now. All my
Linux os's are rolling editions, or one's that should be upgradable through terminal. However, I looked at all that was necessary for that with Peppermint 10 and it looks quite sketchy. Is there any way
to us the DVD within my Peppermint 9 partition and run it and upgrade? Never have tried such a thing, but maybe  I can.

Offline pdvossen11

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2019, 11:18:56 am »
Went ahead with manual upgrade from terminal from 9 to 10. Seems things are ok, but when I go to Peppermint Settings Panel and System information I get an error message peppermint-system-info command.
Otherwise, things seem like they are all good.

Patrick