Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 10 Released.  (Read 516 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Peppermint 10 Released.
« on: May 17, 2019, 07:57:46 pm »
The Peppermint 10 is now available for download

The release announcement can be seen here:
https://peppermintos.com/2019/05/peppermint-10-released/
and the release notes here:
https://peppermintos.com/release-notes/

Download links are available on the big red buttons on the main site here:
https://peppermintos.com
but PLEASE use the torrents wherever possible, so not to slow the server to a crawl.

Peppermint 10 main changes:-
  • Kernel 4.18.0-18 which is now on the rolling hwe-18.04 track so will eventually roll onto the 5.xx kernel automatically as the HWE is updated upstream.
  • Updated xorg stack, again via the rolling hwe-18.04 track.
  • Proprietary nvidia graphics drivers now installed automatically if “Install third party drivers/software” is selected as part of the installation routine, this includes automatic configuration of nvidia optimus setups up to the nvidia-390 drivers. If you intend to install the later 396/410/415/418/430 drivers from the ‘Proprietary GPU Drivers’ PPA it would probably be best not to select this option during install and add them manually post-install.
  • Ice (6.0.2) – Ice now has support for isolated profiles for Chromium, Chrome, and Vivaldi SSB’s (Firefox SSB’s are ALWAYS isolated).Firefox SSB’s now also have four bookmarks included by default making the addition of addons and other configuration changes on a per-SSB basis easier. There are also other ‘under the hood’ changes, such as ICE will now rebuild your SSB profiles should you accidentally delete their directories. Also a bug that was stopping Ctrl+Tab hidden tab navigation has been fixed, as has a bug that made it difficult to install addons in Firefox SSB’s because the “Allow” dialog flickered.
  • New GUI Font DPI Settings utility allowing adjustments to system font DPI (this also fixes a bug where the proprietary nvidia drivers sometimes displayed small fonts on the panel/menu in previous version).

Updated applications:-
  • All 18.04 updates to 14th May 2019 have been rolled into the ISO, and we also have updated versions of:-
  • nemo (4.0.6) – which not only feels considerably faster at opening and rendering directory contents, but has finer grained control of desktop configuration options when you right-click the desktop and select ‘Customise’ .. ALL nemo plugins in the repository have been updated, though not all are installed by default).
  • mintinstall (7.9.7)
  • mintstick (1.39)
  • neofetch (6.0.1)
  • xed (2.0.2)
  • xplayer (2.0.2)
  • xviewer (2.0.2)

Other changes and additions:-
  • xreader (replaces evince).
  • light-locker & light-locker-settings (replaces i3lock, but users that prefer i3lock can easily change it back .. just uninstall those 2 packages and the system will automatically fall back to i3lock).
  • network-manager-pptp-gnome (now installed by default).
  • network-manager-openvpn-gnome (now installed by default).
  • New ‘Peppermint-10’ xfce-panel-switch profile (for resetting the panel).
  • New Peppermint 10 Gtk themes (multiple color variations).
  • New default xfwm4 theme to match the new Gtk themes (the new Gtk themes also have their own individual xfwm4 themes, selectable in the Peppermint Control Center).
  • The firefox-theme-lock & thunderbird-theme-lock tweaks now use the new Peppermint-10-Red-Mixed Gtk theme .. these can still be disabled in the settings panel if you want Firefox and Thunderbird (should you install it) to use the system Gtk theme.
  • Two new Peppermint 10 wallpapers by Karl Schneider (default and alternative).
  • Four additional Ray Bilcliff wallpapers.
  • New plymouth startup/shutdown screen.
  • New login/lock screen background image (also by Karl Schneider).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:49:37 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
Re: Peppermint 10 Released.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 08:20:11 pm »
The Peppermint 10 is now available for download

The release announcement can be seen here:
https://peppermintos.com/2019/05/peppermint-10-released/

Download links are available on the big red buttons on the main site here:
https://peppermintos.com
but PLEASE use the torrents wherever possible, so not to slow the server to a crawl.

Gonna leave my Torrents rolling! I've posted to my MeWe & Vero accounts Vero cross posts to twttr!!    And now off to the pools... Tucson's Pool Party Season Begins in just under an hour! 

:)    ... ;)    ... 8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:21:33 pm by PCNetSpec »
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 08:39:59 pm »
Thanks spence .. always good to have a hand with seeding :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:17:04 pm »
Awesome! Going to download it now 8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:18:51 pm »
Have fun Johan, hope ya like it :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 04:31:47 am »
Congtatulations on Peppermint 10 release  :)  :)
I'll try to convince my daughter to move from 9 respin to 10 later today  ;)
 :D
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!

Offline Johan

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 06:06:19 am »

Naah don't like it. Love it ;) Install was very quick. I have it all set up like on Pepp 9. And  after install already new kernel update. Is it normal that after a kernel update you have to set setxkbmap -option caps:none in autostart again?

O and new release donation on the way :P

Offline penrose1950

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64 bit
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 07:04:40 am »
thank you very much,i am downloading it now.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 08:15:21 am »

Naah don't like it. Love it ;) Install was very quick. I have it all set up like on Pepp 9. And  after install already new kernel update. Is it normal that after a kernel update you have to set setxkbmap -option caps:none in autostart again?

O and new release donation on the way :P

No I wouldn't think that's 'normal' Johan .. maybe try scripting that command, then launch the script from autostart.

If you're unsure how, please open a new topic and I'll explain.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 11:02:34 am »
Okay thanks. Another thing I've noticed is that the application icons like HTOP, files and terminal are smaller on the panel then on 9 with the new themes.

Offline alterwolf

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 02:51:12 am »
How to upgrade from 9 to 10  without losing document/files and the settings?

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 03:45:54 am »
Easy answer, thats not supported. There's a possible solution, though. See it this, https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1835.0.html suits you.
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!

Offline einar

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9.2
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 09:10:04 am »
Hola. ¿Y como puedo actualizar de la version 9.2 a la 10?, porque en mint update aunque le de a actualizar no me da la opcion de actualizar a ninguna nueva version, asi como cambiando en otro software a cualquier version nueva.
Gracias.
Saludos.

Hi. And how can I update from version 9.2 to 10 ?, because in mint update although I update it does not give me the option to update to any new version, as well as changing in other software to any new version.
Thank you.
Greetings.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 09:22:00 am »
CURRENTLY as explained in the release notes Peppermint 10 would require a fresh/clean installation (not even keeping a /home partition).

In due course instruction for MANUALLY upgrading Peppermint 9 --> 10 will be posted on this forum, but ONLY when they've been FULLY tested, then tested again.

But..

We will not be providing in-situ upgrades as an automated process because in-situ upgrades ALWAYS come with risk, and they encourage users to attempt them without backing up. A fresh install forces users to consider what they NEED to keep and ensures they back it up first.

Posting instructions to MANUALLY upgrade will also be easier to support, the user will already be on the support forum (because that's where the instructions will be posted) and as a clear series of steps, should something go wrong, it'll be easier for us to figure out precisely where (at which strep) it went wrong and affect a solution. This has to be a consideration where support manpower is at a premium.

I should also add that sure, where we push users to 'fresh install' any data loss could never be considered 'our fault', yet any data loss incurred via an automated process certainly WILL be considered 'our fault' .. so there is a certain level of self protection going on here, but it's selfishness aimed at protecting the user as much as us. As i said, there is ALWAYS a small risk, and with limited support manpower available to us it makes perfect sense for us to keep this risk to an absolute minimum, and therefore be able to offer support in the few cases where things don't quite go as expected.

I'll get around to the instructions in about a week, when things quieten down a bit .. thanks for your patience and understanding :)

Forum Moderators & Trusted Users - This is now the official Peppermint stance, so can be copy/pasted whenever this question is raised.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:46:14 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline einar

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9.2
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 09:29:21 am »
Ok, muchas gracias por tan pronta respuesta. Pues esperare a que publiqueis las notas de actualizacion, porque no me va nada bien instalar desde cero, ademas seria en dos ordenadores, prefiero esperar.

Saludos.

Ok, thank you very much for such a quick response. Well, I'll wait for you to publish the update notes, because it's not good for me to install from scratch, it would also be in two computers, I prefer to wait.

Greetings.