Choose style:

Author Topic: Screwed again by Intel.  (Read 479 times)

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Screwed again by Intel.
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:26:19 am »
Looks like Intel screwed us again.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-vs-zombieload/

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Screwed again by Intel.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:46:49 pm »
How the heck did that become a 'Linux' article ? .. it's neither Linux related or specific :-\
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:59:44 pm »
How the heck did that become a 'Linux' article ? .. it's neither Linux related or specific :-\

Wondered what the microcode update was about, earlier this week? I of course am running AMD, but still installed the patch and on my Elitebook too, which is Intel, plus will have to on my other Intel which is a desktop. And talking about desktops, have finally got all the parts together which building commences tomorrow, Saturday 18th May. Will be doing a video on the build with phootoograaaaphs and recorded install of Peppermint. So keep your ears and eyes open, on YouTube. :)) Like that cow over the moon.
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 05:42:48 pm »
Yeah, I read there was a new vulnerability in Intel chips a few days ago. Knowing about it made me extra glad that my most recent PC build has an AMD processor in it.

The whole lower two thirds of the article is about what Red Hat and Canonical are doing to combat this issue, including upcoming patches to the Linux kernel. I'd call that Linux related.

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 09:06:11 pm »
But why is it always down to the Operating System Devs to sort it out, when Intel are to blame, for letting such atrocities into their hardware in the first place?  :-\

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 09:55:22 pm »
Because Intel won't release a fix until the next generation of processors, "suggesting" that people should upgrade. OS and Kernel devs, on the other hand,  look out for their users, especially on the Linux side of things.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 09:56:54 pm »
What could they do, swap out all processors going back seven years for new ones? I can't see that happening somehow.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 10:08:56 pm »
murraymint has it right. From what I've read, there's no firmware patch for this one. (though, really, there wasn't for Spectre either) There are preventative measures, but no true fix beyond hardware replacement with new chips that don't have the vulnerability. Even if they release patches, which they have, it's not a full measure to stop the problem.

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 10:19:00 pm »
Because Intel won't release a fix until the next generation of processors, "suggesting" that people should upgrade. OS and Kernel devs, on the other hand,  look out for their users, especially on the Linux side of things.

You're telling me they do, all the work Linus puts into the Kernel, plus his team as well. What astounds me about the Kernel is how compact it is, as in size. With all the code that goes into making a Kernel, it's only once it's installed, it just runs on virtually nothing, but all the firmware, security, everything on  there which makes Linux so great. We're all so damn lucky, to have such good people that care about us, the users of Linux.  I'm a user not a programmer, would not know where to start, in building my own OS.  ;D

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 10:25:08 pm »
murraymint has it right. From what I've read, there's no firmware patch for this one. (though, really, there wasn't for Spectre either) There are preventative measures, but no true fix beyond hardware replacement with new chips that don't have the vulnerability. Even if they release patches, which they have, it's not a full measure to stop the problem.

Spectre and the meltdown, got right up my nose. Cause Google told Intel and Intel did nothing, till it was too late. I must admit I have seen a huge speed decrease, over these past couple of years here in Linux, luckily SSD's were made, or else we'll all be struggling.  :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 10:26:19 pm »
Linux devs were on the ball with the Spectre issues too. We really are lucky to have such a great community of developers the world over with Linux. 8)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 08:15:05 am »
In fairness, we wouldn't have the microcode update if Intel hadn't provided it either. Not a great image for them though, this stuff happening again.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 09:35:05 am »
Yep, they got those microcode updates out quickly on this one. With Spectre/Meltdown, Intel was caught more unaware and it was up to the OS devs to find fixes while Intel spun their wheels.

But, no, it doesn't look good for them to have similar issues so close together.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 10:05:20 am »
I think what's happened here is that until Meltdown/Spectre nobody was really looking at hardware as an attack vector .. now they've been forced to look again we'll probably see a few of these yet.

But at the end of the day it'll (hopefully) produce more secure hardware in the future.

This stuff is never 'done' .. it's always a continually running battle.
(there's no such thing as 20:20 foresight)

[EDIT]

I just hope it doesn't get used as an excuse to limit or add more 'phone home' spying to future hardware .. but I'm far from confident in this regard.
(in fact my tin hat wearing conspiracy theorist twin is developing a severe eye twitch)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:13:51 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 05:54:59 pm »
Yeah, with Spectre/Meltdown, Intel had been warned about it years before but nobody could conceive that someone would find a way to actually use the vulnerability to attack a computer. Heck, even AMD chips had those flaws, though they weren't as severe as the ones Intel chips had. It wasn't until someone actually found a way to attack it that they realized it could be an issue. They were definitely much more prepared this time around. But, knowing that it's going to be an actual problem moving forward, I think more testing may be required on the security of chips. Software companies hire people to intentionally try to break into security software, why not hire people to try and break in via the chip? Though, you still can't plan for everything.