Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint on a SD Card  (Read 468 times)

Offline Shamgar

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Peppermint on a SD Card
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:19:58 am »
Hello,

I'd like to have Peppermint installed on a SD card and boot from it, but the netbook I use doesn't have the boot option to do it. So what can I do to solve the problem? Is there a way? Please explain me the steps to do considering I'm not a terminal superhero, but a terminal "I do what they told me by faith and I hope it works" guy, ok? 😊

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Peppermint on a SD Card
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:43:34 am »
What OS do you have installed on the netbook? You could possibly have GRUB installed on an internal drive and use it to boot Peppermint on the SD card. Here's an Ubuntu thread about this method:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=986126

It gets more complicated if the drivers for the SD reader are not loaded at boot, which could well be the case.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:08 am »
It'll also be horribly slow running from an SDcard, and likely kill the SDcard pretty quickly (even an A2 card).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 07:56:57 am »
SD to USB adapter, boot it like a flash drive. Ot, you could just use an actual flash drive. It will work better.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:15:39 am »
That would be a better solution .. get one of the short/stubby USBsticks such as the Sandisk UltraFit

Even better if you have USB 3.0 :)

Booting from SDcard, even if possible and it probably isn't, would likely be a horrible experience.
(as murraymint suggests, you can probably RUN a distro from an SDcard if it were BOOTED from elsewhere .. but it'd still be a horrible experience)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:19:55 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 08:36:51 am »
I concur, make sure you have at least 64GB of Sandisk  flash drive to install Peppermint on, to give Peppermint plenty of breathing space for updates and the like. You can use a SD card for installing the installation image on, but bare in mind you could damage the SD card, as I have in the past. So use a up to 8GB USB stick for your installation drive.  ;D Or if you're like me and have another Sandisk that's 32GB drive, USB3 then because they're fully backwards compatible with USB 2, you'll have no problems using it as a installation medium. I always use my Sandisk for installing installation Linux ISO's on, never ever let me down.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:46:56 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline DenW

• Linux User - Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 upgrade 64bit
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 03:07:35 pm »
For some time I have abandoned USB sticks except for storing Live Images of Linux Distros.
With the price of SSDs dropping so much I now use Orico Hard Drive Enclosures USB3/SATA3 (CDN$9-12) plus 120/128GB SSD (CDN$27-35) to install from the USB Live stick onto the SSD (with its own Grub file so it can be booted from any computer which allows booting from USB).  Although any cheap SSD would probably be fine I use ADATA SU800 as it significantly faster than other cheap drives according to http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 03:54:32 pm »
The only problem with SSD's is remember, that it is forever reading and writing, so surely one day it will give up the ghost? At least with a USB stick when formatted correctly each time you install a installation ISO image, it is using the whole of the drive. Fat 32 for the most part does use the whole of the drive. Keep formatting your SSD's so often, it'll eventually burn out. English Bob has had a couple of SSD's burn out on him, simply cause he kept over writing, with different OSes. The reason why SSD's are so fast is because it remembers, the most popular apps you use, the way that your OS boots, by simply saving a cache file, that it can refer to over and over again. Keep changing the environment, that it has spent the last two days or so getting used to, it will  eventually wear out. As good as any Tech is, it only lasts so long.

On a lighter note though, bet your Installation media boots in a heart beat?  ;D

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 03:59:42 pm »
The only problem with SSD's is remember, that it is forever reading and writing, so surely one day it will give up the ghost? At least with a USB stick when formatted correctly each time you install a installation ISO image, it is using the whole of the drive. Fat 32 for the most part does use the whole of the drive. Keep formatting your SSD's so often, it'll eventually burn out. English Bob has had a couple of SSD's burn out on him, simply cause he kept over writing, with different OSes. The reason why SSD's are so fast is because it remembers, the most popular apps you use, the way that your OS boots, by simply saving a cache file, that it can refer to over and over again. Keep changing the environment, that it has spent the last two days or so getting used to, it will  eventually wear out. As good as any Tech is, it only lasts so long.

On a lighter note though, bet your Installation media boots in a heart beat?  ;D

That doesn't seem right. Are you thinking of hybrid SSD/HDDs which cache things on the faster SSD portion?

Wear-levelling is supposed to take care of the same cells being written over and over again, that's why you're supposed to leave some unpartitioned space to let it do its thing.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 05:57:22 pm »
Modern SSD's will likely outlast an HDD under 'normal' everyday' use .. I do wish people would stop spreading very old info.

Just don't fill them up <-- that is pretty much the ONLY special treatment modern SSD's need to outlast an HDD, just buy the biggest one you can afford and leave about 5-10% unformatted for 'overprovisioning' to let the firmware do its wear levelling more effectively.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:59:13 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DenW

• Linux User - Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 upgrade 64bit
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 06:55:01 pm »
Wow I didn't mean to start a war!  I KNOW that running a USB stick with persistence will wear out much much quicker than any modern SSD, just like using a SD card  is not recommended at all (unless you use a Raspberry Pi!).  I have replaced ALL my old HDD with SSD - easy to move existing system from HDD to SSD.  Speeds up not just bootup time but all program loading times. My external drives are MUCH more responsive than the old USBs used to be when running any distro.  I have not had any of my SSDs fail yet - I wonder which make of SSD English Bob used and did he make sure Trim was enabled and overprovisioning provided (as necessary in earlier times)?  Comparing transfer rates for interest USB2 - 60 MB/s max (usually 30 or less) USB3 - 600 MB/s max (but usually 300 or less) but note SATA 3 internal is 6GB/s max. (6000MB/s). Hence install inside laptop or desktop where possible!

[EDIT correction]Firstly SATA 3 is 6Gbits/s thus 750MB/s max. but tests give 450-500MB/s read, 360-415MB/s write compressible data, 180-225MB/s write incompressible data.  However in checking for rates through USB to external SSD I found this article  https://www.macworld.com/article/2039427/how-fast-is-usb-3-0-really-.html which shows 40MB/s read and write USB2 and 165 read/200 write MB/s USB3 (presumably compressible data). So SATA 3  is 3X faster read 2X write than USB3 and 10X faster than USB2

All of the reputable SSD manufacturers these days usually build in sufficient overprovisioning but nothing wrong with allowing more spare unallocated space if you want.; also all Linux distros build in automatic Trim to ensure even wear without changing files as in the early days.  Installing most Linux distros on my 128GB SSDs usually only takes 10 -15 GB max.  I personally do not use these SSDs as working distros but unless you like to download lots of videos or music no way you will likely fill  up even 128GB - you can always buy a 256GB or larger SSD but not so good to go bigger on external SSD because of USB interface speed limitations (for my old desktop I just bought a 1TB ADATA SSD for CDN $130 taxes paid on Amazon using a $30 off coupon ).  Of course if you are building a new desktop M.2 drives are available and most motherboards are designed to take them and will no doubt they will become the standard in laptops.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 03:47:39 pm by DenW »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 07:30:05 pm »
Wasn't aimed at you DenW, wasn't aimed at anyone in particular :) .. it's just a pet hate of mine, the web is full of outdated information about SSD's which is putting people off when nowadays they're actually more resilient than an HDD (for multiple reasons).

It's also causing people to take extreme preventative measures that are on the whole no longer necessary.

BTW, I ALWAYS manually overprovision .. it's rare manufacturers overprovision 'enough' when it's on an inaccessible part of the drive  .. there's just no incentive for them to do so.
(also where it's on an inaccessible part of the drive you are pretty much having to take it on faith that it actually exists .. or isn't simply a way for them to offload their 'bad' chips, making some of its capacity dead from the getgo)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:39:35 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 03:22:24 am »
I'm just very careful, when it comes to technology. I did not mean to scaremonger and yes don't over fill your SSD, they do need breathing room. I use two SSD's a 1TB for home folder and a 500GB with Pep on as the boot and update drive. With computer games getting bigger and bigger, especially AAA games, you need a lot of room, but I tend to be cautious and install one game at a time. I don't know which brand EB had, that failed on him, though it could of been a case of silicon lottery?

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 07:00:52 am »
On machines that I care about - and depend upon - my 'sweet spot' is a combination of SSD/HDD.

At this moment in history, I generally run a smallish (60GB - 256GB) primary/boot SSD along with a largish (1TB) secondary/data/backup HDD. The total cost @ current pricing for this combo is around $100.00 USD.

Using the rig I'm on, as I type, as an example:

Code: [Select]
╭─vindsl@Boogaloo-6 ~ 
╰─$ inxi -Dxxxz                                                                 127 ↵
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1250.3GB (23.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 250.1GB serial: <filter>
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: HGST_HTS721010A9 size: 1000.2GB serial: <filter>
╭─vindsl@Boogaloo-6 ~
╰─$ uptime
 04:10:07 up 26 days, 16:51,  1 user,  load average: 3.62, 2.53, 1.95

What is one's data, and piece of mind, worth? Let's just call it 'cheap insurance'.

Never failed me, nor left me stranded yet...  8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:14:25 am by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline Nowinbob

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 03:22:56 pm »
OK,I don't know about the sd card thing,but i have to put my 2 bits worth in about the SSD thing.I have 2-240 gb SSDs that date back to the time when that was the biggest size us mere mortals could afford.They have both been in more distro-hopping computers than I can remember,and both still work fine.I took no special precautions;just format and install.It is my standard method of speeding up cheap used computers.If I need more storage for music or whatever,I throw in a 1 or 2 TB HDD.OK.got that off my chest.I'll go back to sleep now.