Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing peppermint 9 respin2 32 bit on 865pe neo2 intel p4, fails  (Read 909 times)

Offline kjl

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8.0
Installing peppermint 9 respin2 32 bit on 865pe neo2 msi- 6728-ver 1, intel p4.
So I have downloaded the iso a few times, used imgburn to burn the iso, disk is verified
100 % successful with no errors.
Load the disk and get to the live session, select to install, insatll fails with disk match error, finish insatll.
On next boot from the hard disk, get past bios screen, unsupported video display message on monitor.
Hit the pc reset button, load live session, run gpart, hard drive shows 9+ gb of data ext4 but not locked , delete partition, back to square one.
I have turned off bios caching, network adapter during  install, no luck.
The system has 2 gb of ddr ram in all 4 banks installed running in dual channel liner mode.
The p4 has hyperthreading enabled, cpu 2.8 mhz .
All this was going to be used for was web surfing, watching a dvd, youtube or listing to some mp3's. 

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Can you give us the exact error message you're seeing ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kjl

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
First error the source on the disk (dvd) does not match the source, the second one is the installer has crashed copying files; on both I have the option to
cancel, try again, or continue, I select continue, everything completes with message to restart.
As soon as I get past the bios post test, I get unsupported video across my monitor (32 " toshiba) connected by dsnub and or dvi to hdmi cable, the dvi shows a connection active but no picture is produced.
I have set power management in the bios to s3 (active) s1 and automatic but any and all three have no effect.
After running the live session, power to the ps2 mouse shows it is still on (active) as I can see the red glow under it, ( wake up for mouse and keyboard are both unselected in the bios.
When I run the live session and run gparted it shows 9+ gb used but the rest of the drive is not formatted.
I have recently ( on another hard drive) install lubuntu on this pc with no issues with the install.

Offline kjl

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
To try and narrow things down I downloaded the iso again on another pc, burned it again with image burn, one disk at fastest writable and another at 2x; the 2x had issues loading where the other one got to installing used 12.22 gb on the disk but just hung there,had to force restart.
On boot up past the bios the same issue, unsupported video format.
II have reduced the gpu aperture size as to try and free  some physical ram, but same issue.
Having had issues on this pc before with peppermint 8 before I am going to say that this is to much work and time to go any farther at this time; thanks for the help.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Hi kjl, something is writing a bunch of stuff to the partition on install. I think even 9gb is on the high side for a fresh install. I would suggest starting up in a live mode, opening gparted and create the partition you want to install Peppermint into and format it to ext4. Then click on install and when you get to type of installation select "something else", select the partition you prepped for Peppermint, check to reformat it as ext4(again) and select as / partition. If you still have problems, something very strange is going on.
What was I thinking?

Offline kjl

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I should have mentioned this before but I am using a 360 gb drive and have cleared all  partitions using gparted  and win10 running diskpart using the clean command.
Then running disk management in win10 it asks how I want to set the disk up, mbr or gpt, I then exit without doing anything.
I thought that maybe a few installs of pm9 was on a gpt layout disk, but ruled that out on the last few attempts.
I will try to set the disk up before install.
On every other linux install I have done, the installer used the entire disk partitioning the os space, swap, and storage area without an issue,
don't understand why  pm9 is not doing the same.

Offline kjl

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I just tried to install pm9 again on this device and had many issues as the installer crashed before it even started.
The errors; trace back file\user\lib\ubiquility\ubiquity\ nm.py line 228 in build_cache
Device=self manager .get device ()
file user/lib/python3/ dist-pakages/dbus proxies.py line145 _ call _ ** keywords
 connection.phy line 651 in call _blocking
dbus.exception.DBus exceprion:org. freedesktop.dbus.error.service unknown
the name:120 was not provided by any.service files
After the failure to install I got a no session for pid error, did not get the #
I ran the installer from the dvd selected to install, not run a live session and the pc was connected to the internet.

Online murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Could you install to an external drive using another PC, then copy the partition to the problem computer in a live session and install GRUB?

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
I would suggest starting up in a live mode, opening gparted and create the partition you want to install Peppermint into and format it to ext4. Then click on install and when you get to type of installation select "something else", select the partition you prepped for Peppermint, check to reformat it as ext4(again) and select as / partition.

Golden!

I've never had an issue with pre-allocated partitions, via GParted, which I always use.  ;)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
I should have mentioned this before but I am using a 360 gb drive and have cleared all  partitions using gparted  and win10 running diskpart using the clean command.
Then running disk management in win10 it asks how I want to set the disk up, mbr or gpt, I then exit without doing anything.
I thought that maybe a few installs of pm9 was on a gpt layout disk, but ruled that out on the last few attempts.
I will try to set the disk up before install.
On every other linux install I have done, the installer used the entire disk partitioning the os space, swap, and storage area without an issue,
don't understand why  pm9 is not doing the same.

I'm not sure I understand completely. You have "set up" the 360gb disk using a Windows program from somewhere, not sure where, cleared the disk partitions and then left it without a mbr or gpt table, is this correct? If so, that's your problem, the disk has to have a partition table. If you want a Legacy disk then choose MBR, if you want UEFI disk, choose GPT. Then the Peppermint installer will take care of everything. You can't complete a task if you leave out steps.
What was I thinking?

Offline kjl

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Installing peppermint 9 respin2 32 bit on 865pe neo2 intel p4, fails
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 11:11:31 am »
set the disk up using  pm9 installer, not modify the disk layout in anyway. I was going to format the entire disk to ext4 but never got the chance.
I have three other machines I could install pm9 on then transfer the installation to the one it is intended for.
I have done this only a few times and found it to not work well as the hardware on the target is much less any other device I have; 8 gb min ram 4 x cpu, better gpu.
It the systems where more evenly  matched ?
The other issue is I do not want to pull 3 to 8 drives out of a working system to test this.
I could pull my  laptop win7 disk and install to that via external usb enclosure then move the drive to the intel  but still think it will not work as the lapy is amd

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 12:00:50 pm »
Normally, I wouldn't interject when others have begun helping you triage @kjl... But given what all you've done prior, I wonder if your Windows installation still boots properly at all? I think it would be helpful for you to to clarify whether you are wanting to dual boot Peppermint & Win10? Or just wanting to install Peppermint by itself?

:-\
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:39:42 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline kjl

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 06:58:46 pm »
PM9 only not dual booting anything else, nothing is on the 360 gb hard drive.
Partitions where deleted using gparted on the pm9 live session, I also used win10 command prompt
 run as admin, ran diskpart then the clean command to wipe even the disk layout; it was set as gpt at one time
and the target system is not uefi bios, thus so pm9 could set the disk up properly.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 07:25:48 pm »
Would you kindly verify that this is your motherboard? It dates back to 2004... 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/865PE_Neo2P_Platinum_Edition
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline kjl

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile