Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 5 VirtualBox Installation  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Crumbz

• nOOb
  • Systems Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Canada eCoin
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64-Bit
Peppermint 5 VirtualBox Installation
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:12:51 am »
Hello all!

I seem to have found an issue with Peppermint 5 in both 32-bit and 64-bit version of the OS.

I frequently use VirtualBox as a tool for working on different OS while on school computers, to which they fully approve of. But rather than drag my stack of installation CD's with me I decided to start bringing a collection of ISO's on an external HDD. This method works for me with most other operating systems, but have found that when trying to install the Peppermint 5 OS onto the VHD it freezes just after the initial installation screen.

No matter which option I choose on the installation options screen, it freezes approximately 4 to 5 seconds after I make a selection. Now at first I figured it might be something to do with the VirtualBox installation on the school computers, so I tried it on my computer at home to test my theory. Alas the same issue occurred. I have even gone so far to test this issue on Microsoft Hyper-V and VM Ware, but all test gave the same result.

Now it will install onto the VHD from an already burned CD/DVD, but just not the ISO.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Check Out Canada eCoin - A Canadian Cryptocurrency - https://canadaecoin.site/

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Peppermint 5 VirtualBox Installation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:48:32 pm »
Are you running the installer directly from the "Try Pepeprmint" / "Install Peppermint" screen .. or booting completely into the Live environment, then running the installer from the "Install Peppermint" icon on the Live session desktop ?

I vaguely remember someone mentioning he had problems unless he did it from the live session desktop during beta testing .. I *thought* that was going to be added to the release notes, but it may have been overlooked.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit / P10
Re: Peppermint 5 VirtualBox Installation
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:52:44 pm »
I echo PCNetSpec.
 I just installed P5 in VirtualBox both from a CD and from an ISO on my host machine.
Both worked fine from the Live environment. :)