Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows 10 will get an in-built Linux kernel this summer  (Read 200 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 will get an in-built Linux kernel this summer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:42:47 am »
 :o
...or not, it was kind of expected.

Don't really know what to think about it, though  :-\
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 07:53:06 am »
If it helps a few Windows sysadmins get a feel for Linux, I'm all for it :)

Does feel a bit odd though ???
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine Respin 2
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:47:46 am »
If it helps a few Windows sysadmins get a feel for Linux, I'm all for it :)

Does feel a bit odd though ???

Windows will take over, the Hard drive even more so, with whatever Linux people are dual booting. It also means that whatever free or non Microsoft software is installed on your Windows machine, they'll be able to stop you using. I can see this going one of two ways. 1 they'll be more exploits, for hackers to try, 2 It'll mean for Dual boots that Windows 10 will be able to read ext4. Which I know you can set it up to do so, but it'll be reading your Linux partition and eventually, reporting back to Microsoft servers, what you're running. Or am I being Paranoid?  :-\  ???
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:50:11 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 11:17:36 am »
Hi clatterfordslim,

Paranoid or not: who in their right mind runs any Micro$oft products (except, of course, for those forced to do that by their job/employer)? Get smart and get rid of M$ products !! Go 100% Linux (or BSD) and then: go PeppermintOS;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 12:12:27 pm »
 :D I didn't look in detail into this, but I don't think it can read FFSv2  :D
Probably safe here on NetBSD  :-\
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 12:33:29 pm »
Hi clatterfordslim,

Paranoid or not: who in their right mind runs any Micro$oft products (except, of course, for those forced to do that by their job/employer)? Get smart and get rid of M$ products !! Go 100% Linux (or BSD) and then: go PeppermintOS;)

Regards,

-- Slim

Hi  Slim
I don't use Windows anymore, as Peppermint is all I need, but yeah in business everyone is forced to use Microsoft products and they fail every time. My line manager has Winders 10 and borrowed it from the office. I was doing a night shift last week and brought my laptop, with Peppermint on, I was the only one up in the building, when the Winders 10 machine booted up by itself. I don't know the password so shut it down as soon as. It scared me a bit, made me paranoid too, remote access and the like. ;D  Why oh why does Winders need the Linux Kernel? It can only end in disaster.

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 09:56:27 am »
Since I am forced to use Winders based servers and PC's at work, if they can actually find a way to improve stability, security, and/or efficiency of the machines, then great. I'm cautiously optimistic at this stage, but if anyone can elf up a good thing it's M$.  :-\

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 05:54:59 pm »
My question is: Why? What advantages are there?

Well, since you said any Microsoft product: Micrsosoft game controllers are second to none. :P Also, you can guarantee Steam compatibility with an XBOX One or an XBOX 360 controller. (also Sony controllers)

Now, assuming by "product" you meant software, the answer is obvious and related: Gamers. Gaming is what keeps Windows in the home alive. Most of the big studio games still come out for Windows. A few come out for OSX, exceptionally few come out for Linux. Windows is still the best OS for gaming. That's all there is to it. If it wasn't for that aspect, then Windows would be totally unnecessary, as you can do everything else in Linux.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 06:27:25 pm »
I'd disagree with the blanket statement "Windows is still the best OS for gaming" (my highlighting) .. it's certainly "the one you can get the most games for" though ;)

Just being semantically pedantic :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:32:01 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 07:04:49 pm »
As you well know, my statement was a blanket statement because that's how a lot of people see it. You know I game in Linux, I absolutely love it.

There is no "best" OS for gaming, when it comes to cross platform games. This game runs better on Linux, that one runs better on Windows. The vast majority run the same on either Windows or a Linux OS. I don't know about OSX, but I'm sure it has games that run better on it too. I've seen people report crash issues and all kinds of fun with Windows 10 that the same game deosn't have issues with on Linux. And, I've experienced the opposite, where a game won't load or crashes when you try to do something in Linux but runs smooth as butter in Windows. So, in that sense, there's no "best." There's simply what you run.

However, for compatibility, Windows is the best. There's no two ways about it. However, my main Windows rig crapped out, the motherboard failed and there's no way to reuse the OEM license on the motherboard I have in the computer now. And, I'm in no hurry to run out and pay over $100 for another license.  ::) So, I just play my Linux compatible games, which number slightly under 200 at this point. Some are big studio games, but a lot are indie games. Most of them are fun. :)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 07:10:44 pm »
for compatibility, Windows is the best.

I'll accept that (when talking about games in a general sense) ;)

Like I said .. I'm just being semantically pedantic, and pulling your leg :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:17:40 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 09:37:13 pm »
Gaming in Windows is more trouble than it's worth. The games mostly look and play nice, but there's the legendary compatibility issues to deal with. Some games on Steam worked great with Windows XP, but you have to jump through hoops to get them working on modern Windows. Also, the same games installed on Windows and Linux download more GB of data and take up way more drive space. It's all so inefficient.

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 09:49:00 pm »
Also, the same games installed on Windows and Linux download more GB of data and take up way more drive space. It's all so inefficient.

And when also you're installing from a backup, or downloading it, Winders takes ages to find or allocate space on your hard drive, for the game to be installed. I have a better time playing games in Linux and even if Winders is getting a Linux Kernel, it'll still be full of back doors. ;D