Choose style:

Author Topic: Opera only prints to PDF (SOLVED)  (Read 609 times)

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
Re: Opera only prints to PDF
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 01:11:11 pm »
@PCNetSpec you are amazing.  The new version of Opera is working as expected, in the menu and printing beautifully.

One tiny little point... ??? You failed to suggest that I should copy the instructions, which I was viewing on Opera, before un-installing it!!! :o
Luckily it did occur to me and I copied them to a text file first  ;D

I am interested to know how come the download is available from the Software rep if it isn't fully supported.  What about Thunderbird which I installed the same way,  Now I think about it that does keep trying to update but it tells me that I don't have the access to update it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 03:49:11 pm »
snap's and flatpak's are a new way of installing software .. they are completely isolated from the rest of the system (containerised code and libraries if you will).

Attempting to leave the politics aside (my views on that is well publicised)...

This has it's benefits, such as security via sandboxing, the ability to run multiple versions, lack of library conflicts, etc.

They also have their downsides .. that same containerisation stops them interacting well with other parts of the system such as - they don't pick up the system themes, and may not work well with things like the printing subsystems., etc.
(it all kinda depends on the level of containerisation chosen by the app developer)

The technology is kinda in its infancy, so our advice for now would be to steer clear of snaps and flatpaks where possible and stick to the .deb versions of software .. the problem is, because some software is now ONLY being released as a snap/flatpak we had no real option other than to offer the ability to install them, but as I said WHERE POSSIBLE we'd advise sticking to .deb's at least until snap/flatpak matures as a technology.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:54:41 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 03:51:34 pm »
Well said...  8)

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 04:57:27 pm »
Thanks.  I'll mark this as complete for now and open another ticket "if" I need too.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Opera only prints to PDF (SOLVED)
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 05:01:33 pm »
No problem, thanks for marking the topic (SOLVED) :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec