Choose style:

Author Topic: Firefox Certificate Issues - Extensions etc  (Read 895 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Firefox Certificate Issues - Extensions etc
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 10:14:00 am »
Yeah (with it set to "true") the only one that's still giving me grief is uBlock Origin, all others are fine.

The difference with uBlock Origin is that it's wanting to download an update .. but it can't .. so that bit still needs fixing.

The good news is uBlock Origin still works .. it just can't download its update yet.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 02:17:00 pm »
Nope, broken again :(

Time to apply the workaround :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 10:49:00 pm »
I'm using Antix 17.4.1 and Firefox ESR 60.6.1 and removed ublock Origin and I have zero adds showing up.

I'll be using Antix 17.4.1 until Firefox gets this problem solved.

What a bummer Firefox let this happen.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 11:59:28 pm »
People make mistakes .. we're all human :)

It's not mistakes that are the problem (they're to be expected from time to time, EVERYONE makes them), it's how they're handled when they're made that counts.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 12:36:42 am »
I could swear I commented on this earlier. :-\

Anyway, they're working on it. Until they release a fix, just use the workaround.

I've been running Firefox since the beginning, and I can only remember one other time when extensions didn't work, back in the Firefox 4 days. FF4 was the last long release cycle, before they started the short release cycles where version numbers started increasing rapidly, and a lot of stuff went wonky back then. Still, I don't think two major issues with extensions in over 16 years is that bad of a track record. All leading browsers (and software in general) have the occasional major issue. No issue I can think of with Firefox can even compare to the massive issues Internet Explorer had back in the day, which is why I've never really used it much and have been a Mozilla fan since the beginning.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 03:30:40 am »
I'm using Antix 17.4.1 and Firefox ESR 60.6.1 and removed ublock Origin and I have zero adds showing up.
Hi 151tom,

It's been published that the ESR version of Firefox is immune to this problem.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 06:59:16 am »
Okay you need to ensure the feature "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" is enabled for the fix to become active (they're using that feature to rollout the hotfix .. though apparently they're also working on a fix that doesn't require this to be enabled at least temporarily) .. you can disable "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" again after your addons come back active.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/

That worked for me, about 10 seconds after enabling that my addons became active again (though according to the blog post it could take considerably longer).

To check the fix has been applied, you can go to:-

about:studies

and see if there is a "hotfix-update-xpi-signing-intermediate-bug-1548973" study listed.
(You may also see “hotfix-reset-xpi-verification-timestamp-1548973” listed)

(don't you just love the way they called it "intermediate" :)))

And if you used the workaround posted earlier in this topic, remember to undo it.

To undo the earlier workaround, got to:-
about:config
search for the key:-
xpinstall.signatures.required
and set it to "true"
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 07:13:09 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 08:51:27 am »
Hi 151tom,

It's been published that the ESR version of Firefox is immune to this problem.

Regards,

-- Slim
I don't know about that as my ublock origin was disabled and I'm unable to install any add ons.
I believe old versions of Firefox ESR uses a  different type of signature which may have something to do with it.

Somewhere in this link says that Firefox ESR has to get a separate fix for this.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 09:04:35 am »
Your extensions should work in Firefox's ESR edition.  I installed Firefox ESR on a friend's computer yesterday using the Mozilla team's PPA..  Firefox ESR is kept up to date in regards to security. ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 12:53:48 pm »
Your extensions should work in Firefox's ESR edition.  I installed Firefox ESR on a friend's computer yesterday using the Mozilla team's PPA..  Firefox ESR is kept up to date in regards to security. ;)
I completely removed the one and only extension I ever use ublock origin and I have zero extensions and zero adds.  :) ;D

I've never been a big fan of extensions / add ons and never found any need for any however ublock origin is nice to have on my non Firefox ESR browsers.

I'll wait until Firefox gets everything working again as I'm covered for now using Firefox ESR.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 06:26:48 pm »
I completely removed the one and only extension I ever use ublock origin and I have zero extensions and zero adds.  :) ;D

I'd say if I had to choose only one extension, uBlock Origin would probably the one I'd choose.  Its privacy policy is as good as they come ;).

I've never been a big fan of extensions / add ons and never found any need for any however ublock origin is nice to have on my non Firefox ESR browsers.

I'll wait until Firefox gets everything working again as I'm covered for now using Firefox ESR.

For years I've used open source extensions.  Recently I've started to experiment browsing without them.  So far, so good. :)

My new experiment is to go extension free, while mixing up what browser and OS I use.  I'm trying out the duck and dodge, or VinDSL's keep-'em-guessing approach to see how this experiment works out for me.  Right now Firefox, Firefox ESR, Waterfox and Brave browsers are getting my seals of approval regarding privacy. That said, I hate to see Windows 10's Edge browser go down.  As good as Google's Chromium, Chrome, and Android have to been to me personally, I hate to see any rendering engine go down -- including Microsoft's EdgeHTML .  I like seeing and having a diverse and open Internet.  IMO losing another rendering engine is good for no one -- not even for Google in the long run.  The demise of Edge will also increase the pressure on Firefox.  I mean, really, what will be left?  We'll have lots of Chromium-based browsers, Firefox (with very few branches) and Safari (that hardly anyone I know uses).  That's it...Ouch!!

Off topic -- a little about the loss of Edge browser and the implications of this loss.

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Why Microsoft is replacing Edge (and what comes next)

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UZ93g5f-i4
[close]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:19:32 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 07:12:40 pm »
I use uBlock Origin and Disable HTML5 Autoplay. The second is because some sites anymore are so rude that they have videos that start playing even if you don't click on them. Some ads are like that too. I never minded ads that were just banners, it's the animated ones, stuff that pops up in your tab to circumvent the pop-up blocker and video ads that annoy me.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 07:48:55 pm »
It's pop-overs that annoy the heck outa me .. just getting interested in something, and BAM!!! something covers it up .. Grrrrr!!!!! >:(
(site mentally blacklisted)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rayzer

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 01:57:43 pm »
for ublock try installing this.. xul-ext-ublock-origin

Offline Bigoeuf

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 7 (64bit)
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 07:25:19 am »
Looks like all fixed now (for me anyway) with latest updates that upgrade to FF 66.0.4 - also confirmed here:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/66.0.4/releasenotes/

Though in the Release Notes it does make this caveat:

A small number of add-ons may be listed as unsupported or may not appear in about:addons. Their data is not lost; users should be able to re-install the add-ons and recover the data

However FF 66.0.5 has already been release by Mozilla:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/66.0.5/releasenotes/

that comments:

Fixed    Further improvements to re-enable web extensions which had been disabled for users with a master password set

That will undoubtedly filter down through the Ubunutu/ Pepp Repos in due course  :)