Choose style:

Author Topic: Boot time question (from a brand new user)  (Read 251 times)

Offline rkw

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Boot time question (from a brand new user)
« on: May 01, 2019, 11:48:35 am »
I just installed Peppermint Linux last week on the laptop I use regularly.  I moved from an Operating System that shall not be named (non-Linux).  I have played with Linux off and on for many years but mostly command line, very little past experience with Linux desktop environments.

First of all, very pleased with the things that have worked out of the box.  I would like to ask about a few things that are mildly confusing and/or unexpected but are by no means show stoppers.  Feel free to educate me on the best use of the forums - I just went straight to "New Users" because ... that's me!

Quick context:
- My laptop is an HP Envy x360, about 4 years old, Core i7, 16GB RAM (I think), new 480GB SSD
- I downloaded the latest Peppermint Linux ISO within the last month

1. On boot, the screen is black for a longer time than expected (maybe 20 seconds, possibly 30 seconds).  I do not get a GRUB menu, so I decided to turn this on to troubleshoot (/etc/default/grub, comment line GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0).  I get to the GRUB menu pretty quickly, when I press enter (this is a single boot system), the screen goes black (flashes gray a few times) for the 20+ seconds, then I get a startup splash screen with a progress bar for just a few seconds, then I get the login page.  Again, not a show stopper, but (a) I hoped the boot time would be a little faster and (b) I would like to have a splash screen as soon as possible over the unsettling black screen.  Any thoughts on this?

2. I was previously unfamiliar with "Roll Window Up".  Is this a useful feature?  I was confused because a few times I activated the "Roll Window Up" feature and have no idea how I did it (specifically this was in Firefox if it matters).  I assume it was based on what I was doing with the mouse.  At first, I had no idea what had happened and it took a minute or two to figure out.  Can you tell me what triggers this feature and (possibly) how to turn it off?  If there is a reason why this is a useful feature, I would be very curious to hear it.

3. I was very happy that dual monitor support was there and easy to figure out in short order!  Excellent!  I did have one hiccup...  I was working without the monitor plugged in (HDMI).  I came back to my desk and plugged in the HDMI monitor.  It did not appear automatically.  I just rebooted, but I am hoping for a better way.  (a) Is there a configuration to make it detect and adjust auto-magically when I plug in?  (b) If not, is there a keyboard shortcut or setting to adjust after plugging in more quickly than rebooting?

I better stop here.  I do have a question regarding Remmina (that's what I found to enable me to RDP into Windows Servers that I manage), but I'm sure there is a better place for that question .... :)

Thanks for the great OS!  I am so excited to finally be on Linux and Peppermint appears to be a great combination (for me) of minimalism, performance, functionality, and polish.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Boot time question (from a brand new user)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 12:27:17 pm »
Hi rkw, and welcome to the forum :)

1) Can you run:
Code: [Select]
dmesg > ~/Desktop/dmesg.txt
you'll then find a file on your desktop titled "dmesg.txt" .. can you host this somewhere like
http://www.tinyupload.com/
and post a link to it.

2) Window roll-up (shade) is triggered when your cursor is on a window titlebar and you scroll the mouse/touchpad (up to shade/down to unshade) .. it can be sueful if you quickly want to get a window out of the way but don't want to entirely hide it (minimise it to the panel) .. it can be disabled by going to:-
Menu > Settings > Peppermint Control Center > Advanced (tab)
and de-selecting "scroll on titlebar to roll up window".

3) I'm pretty sure power management of HDMI ports (particularly on laptops) is handled by hardware .. so if it isn't plugged in at boot the port will remain inactive (sometimes there's a keyboard function key to bring it to life).
(but I should add I'm not positive about that, and it may differ from laptop to laptop)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:32:42 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 02:15:30 pm »
My old Samsung laptop detects an external monitor being connected automatically.  If you go to Peppermint Settings Panel/Hardware/Display you should be able to click on Configure new displays when connected. Oh and welcome to Peppermint rkw.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline rkw

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 08:32:35 am »
Thanks for the tip, Alynur, this resolved my dual monitor issue.  I get a pop-up to configure the dual monitor options (Extend, Mirror, etc.), but it seems to remember the last setting and I can just close the pop-up.  I guess the pop-up is actually nice in case the last setting (or the expected setting) is not what I want ...

Thanks for the response, PCNetSpec.  With regard to "Roll Window Up", I now see that I most have inadvertently activated the scroll while hovering over the title.  It is helpful to see that I can turn that feature off!  I may play around with this feature to see if it is something useful to add to my workflow, but I doubt it ...

As to the boot time, I have spent a little time looking at dmesg.  I wanted to attempt to understand  what I was posting publicly before I posted it ... and of course I just want to understand! 

During my last boot up, there was a lot of information logged between 21:55:00 and 21:55:04.  Then we get to this:

[Wed May  1 21:55:04 2019] Btrfs loaded, crc32c=crc32c-intel
[Wed May  1 21:55:06 2019] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xd7 on isa0060/serio0).
[Wed May  1 21:55:06 2019] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e057 <keycode>' to make it known.
[Wed May  1 21:55:06 2019] atkbd serio0: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xd7 on isa0060/serio0).
[Wed May  1 21:55:06 2019] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e057 <keycode>' to make it known.
[Wed May  1 21:55:09 2019] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xd7 on isa0060/serio0).
[Wed May  1 21:55:09 2019] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e057 <keycode>' to make it known.
[Wed May  1 21:55:09 2019] atkbd serio0: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xd7 on isa0060/serio0).
[Wed May  1 21:55:09 2019] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e057 <keycode>' to make it known.
[Wed May  1 21:55:12 2019] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xd7 on isa0060/serio0).
[Wed May  1 21:55:12 2019] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e057 <keycode>' to make it known.
[Wed May  1 21:55:12 2019] atkbd serio0: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xd7 on isa0060/serio0).
[Wed May  1 21:55:12 2019] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e057 <keycode>' to make it known.
[Wed May  1 21:55:15 2019] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xd7 on isa0060/serio0).
[Wed May  1 21:55:15 2019] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e057 <keycode>' to make it known.
[Wed May  1 21:55:15 2019] atkbd serio0: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xd7 on isa0060/serio0).
[Wed May  1 21:55:15 2019] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e057 <keycode>' to make it known.
[Wed May  1 21:55:35 2019] EXT4-fs (dm-0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[Wed May  1 21:55:35 2019] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team

I googled this error regarding key codes.  What I found (relative to Ubuntu) did not help as it related to modifying a file that did not exist.

Would you read this as the key codes issue is responsible for 9 seconds?  And would you read that mounting the EXT4 filesystem is responsible for 20 seconds?

I can provide the entire output from dmesg, but wanted to know if there was anything that I should obfuscate first (and it was a little overwhelming trying to consume all of that content and answer that question!).

Thanks again!  At this point, my only question is the boot time ...

-R

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 08:53:26 am »
There should be nothing in the dmesg.txt file spit out from my last reply that needs obfuscating.
(though what you're showing there doesn't look like dmesg output to me .. dmesg output doesn't usually show dates)

It looks like you may have a stuck key .. or does this system have a touchscreen ?

Can you also post the output from
inxi -Fz
and
sudo fdisk -l
and
blkid
and
mount
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rkw

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 09:01:01 am »
I am continuing to read articles related to "Unknown key pressed setkeycodes e057".

I realized that it may be helpful to say that I have a Wireless USB keyboard and mouse plugged in to the laptop.  In fact, I have a USB switch plugged in to this laptop and to another laptop so that I can easily toggle my wireless keyboard and mouse between the two.  It seems odd to get an "Unknown key pressed" error at boot up when I am not touching the keyboard, but this setup may provide some clue??  The USB switch does detect a new device is plugged in (or in this case powered on) and it will automatically switch to the new device.  Do you think this is a factor?

The output is from dmesg.  I was having trouble reading the output and found the "-T" helpful to get a human-readable time.

Yes, the HP Envy x360 is a touchscreen.

System:    Host: rkw-HP-ENVY-x360 Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64 bits: 64
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Nine
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ENVY x360 Convertible v: Type1ProductConfigId serial: N/A
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 8113 v: 07.07 serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: F.01 date: 03/26/2015
Battery    BAT0: charge: 32.8 Wh 91.8% condition: 35.8/35.8 Wh (100%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-5500U (-MT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 2464 MHz 2: 2545 MHz 3: 2640 MHz
           4: 2510 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 5500
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.02hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-43-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 480.1GB (2.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: SATA_SSD size: 480.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 439G used: 8.3G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.02GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 195 Uptime: 11:00 Memory: 1524.6/15969.8MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

--

Disk /dev/sda: 447.1 GiB, 480103981056 bytes, 937703088 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x4726c262

Device     Boot Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1  *     2048 937701375 937699328 447.1G 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/mapper/peppermint--vg-root: 446.2 GiB, 479073402880 bytes, 935690240 sectors

Disk /dev/mapper/peppermint--vg-swap_1: 976 MiB, 1023410176 bytes, 1998848 sectors

--

/dev/sda1: UUID="n0NfI4-czzm-2NPY-979z-1A3Q-dD7q-7euEZK" TYPE="LVM2_member" PARTUUID="4726c262-01"
/dev/mapper/peppermint--vg-root: UUID="eb2ed176-12fd-4838-81f1-3b9552adc795" TYPE="ext4"

--

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=8143804k,nr_inodes=2035951,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=1635312k,mode=755)
/dev/mapper/peppermint--vg-root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=26,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=865)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
sunrpc on /run/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1635308k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
/dev/fuse on /run/user/1000/doc type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)

Thanks,
-R

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 10:58:43 am »
Your excerpt from dmesg doesn't tell me much as I wanted to see the time count from boot (not the actual time/date).

Just guessing I'd say the major jump is here
[Wed May  1 21:55:35 2019] EXT4-fs (dm-0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
where there appears to be a 20 second delay before the filesystem is mounted.

Without the full dmesg output I have no idea where in the boot sequence this is occurring, whether it's due to the 'keystroke' issue or just a normal LVM thing (I never use LVM).

I also have no idea if your USB switch/Keyboard/Mouse setup is causing the 'keystroke' issue .. can you remove it from the equation and reboot as a test (to see if dmesg still gives you those errors) ?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:01:59 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 01:48:26 pm »
Hi rkw,

If you want PCNetSpec to analyze your dmesg output then write the complete output to a text file using this command (name the text file however you wish):

dmesg > dmesg20190502.txt
then post a link to that file (e.g. put it in the cloud and share the link to it) here in your next post.

Also: it appears that you are using the btrfs file system -- is that correct? If you are not using it, then you can speed up your boot time somewhat by removing the file btrfs-tools (e.g. using the synaptic package manager).

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline rkw

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 10:57:29 pm »
Does this Dropbox link work to view the dmesg output:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpa7my7rgp470rm/dmesg2.txt?dl=0

I unplugged my USB keyboard, USB mouse, the USB switch ... no USB plugged in at all, so I guess none of these are contributing to the atkbd error.

I noticed the reference to btrfs - I'm not sure why that is there??  I am using EXT4.  I did say "Yes" to LVM during the install.  No particular reason.  I have wondered if I would be better off without it.  I have never used it before and had no particular reason to use except the installer made that option appealing somehow ... :)

Again, it looks to me like two issues:
1.  The atkbd error accounting for maybe 12 seconds
2.  File system mounting accounting for maybe 20 seconds

Perhaps there is something less obvious tucked in there that I cannot see?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 03:51:28 am »
I've got the output now so whilst I look it over and do some homework if you're the paranoid type feel free to remove it from your dropbox.
(though as I said, it doesn't contain anything that puts you at risk)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:53:24 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 08:40:05 am »
First of all if you haven't already done so, run:
sudo apt-get remove --purge btrfs-tools
and if I were you I'd also consider a reinstall without using LVM

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec