Choose style:

Author Topic: Can't reboot... [SOLVED]  (Read 233 times)

Offline ogopogo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Can't reboot... [SOLVED]
« on: May 01, 2019, 12:00:54 am »
Hello,     I've been wanting to try the nvidia driver to see if it would solve some minor glitches I keep having so using the synaptic package manager, I downloaded/installed  the nvida driver 390. After rebooting I was brought to the login screen (which was odd because I had set it to auto login). When I tried to login though  I'm getting the error:
" ....PKCS#7 Signature not signed with a trusted key". Even when I try to login as guest it still gives me the same error and can't login. I had to use the live usb to get to here to ask what might be wrong and how to correct this error. Any help is very appreciated.   :'(

- Just tried to login again using a different kernel and still not able to get past the login screen (however no error is given , just keeps coming back to the login screen)
- Second thing I tired was to enter into recovery mode and ran the reload grub option....again with no luck
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:01:50 am by zebedeeboss »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Can't reboot
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 04:11:42 am »
Have you tried disabling secureboot in your BIOS ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline ogopogo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Can't reboot.....SOLVED
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 11:50:18 am »
Yes, secure boot is disabled. 

I went to the all mighty Google and found that others were experiencing the same problem with Nvidia and giving the same error:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1089077/pkcs7-signature-not-signed-with-a-trusted-key-problem-pc-not-booting-graphical

Booting into recovery mode and then running "dpkg repair" sounded the best and easiest solution but it kept saying my "/" was full and to empty some of it out before proceeding. I can't remember the exact wording but in recovery mode there is an option to free up some space. As it was running, I couldn't believe how much the system had crammed full of (what looked like to me) kernels. After that finished, I ran dpkg repair again but with success this time.

After that my system booted up and I immediately deleted the Nvidia driver with synaptic. Not sure I want to try nvidia again anytime soon without further research into seeing whether it would solve a few small issues: 1) display brightness going to 100% after every suspend   2) Wireless mouse not being recognized sometimes after coming out of suspend.

Anyway, problem solved.....

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Can't reboot...SOLVED
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 11:51:48 am »
Can you post the output from:
Code: [Select]
df -h
Just wondering if your disk is full.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline ogopogo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Can't reboot...SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 08:13:37 pm »
gerry@gerry-X542BA ~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            3.7G     0  3.7G   0% /dev
tmpfs           749M  2.9M  746M   1% /run
/dev/sda3        15G   10G  4.0G  72% /
tmpfs           3.7G   22M  3.7G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           3.7G     0  3.7G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda2        18G  7.4G  9.3G  45% /home
/dev/sda1       511M  7.3M  504M   2% /boot/efi
/dev/sda4       883G  152G  687G  19% /mnt/DATA
tmpfs           749M   16K  749M   1% /run/user/1000

So right after I cleaned "/" it is 72% full. Would you recommend for me to make the partition bigger or is it ok?

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Re: Can't reboot... [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 03:36:08 am »
Hi ogopogo,

Are you sure that all of your personal data files are on the DATA partition and not filling your / partition? Also, do some preventive action with the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
rm -r .cache/*
rm -r .thumbnails/normal/*
Then check again with
df -h
to see if you now have more space.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline ogopogo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 03:41:36 pm »
Hi Slim.Fatz,      All my personal files are located in the DATA partition. I don't see any duplicates or backups of anything I recognize as being my own in the "/" directory. Does the size appear larger than normal for just OS files?

After I ran all the commands you suggested, here's what came out.... notice the "/" came out higher.... Perhaps because of the "dist-upgrade"?
I am currently running linux-image - 4.15.0-47 and have 48 also as a backup.

gerry@gerry-X542BA ~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            3.7G     0  3.7G   0% /dev
tmpfs           749M  3.4M  746M   1% /run
/dev/sda3        15G   11G  3.7G  74% /
tmpfs           3.7G   39M  3.7G   2% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           3.7G     0  3.7G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda2        18G  6.1G   11G  37% /home
/dev/sda1       511M  7.3M  504M   2% /boot/efi
/dev/sda4       883G  152G  687G  19% /mnt/DATA
tmpfs           749M   20K  749M   1% /run/user/1000
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:41:39 pm by ogopogo »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 04:21:06 am »
Hi ogopogo,

Correct, the dist-upgrade increased the size of "/" used by approx. 0.3 GB, which is also about the size of the new kernel (4.15.0-48) that has been installed. But at least you now have freed up approx. 1.7 GB in your /home !!   ;)

The total size used in your root ("/") partition (11 GB) is not unusually high. It is higher than my root usage (which is approx. 7.9 GB including my /home) but that is not terribly surprising as I do not really install that much extra software.

There are a couple of options. The easiest is to look at all of the software that you added since installation and ask yourself if you really need each one (i.e. ask yourself how often you have used it); if not needed, then get rid of it. If you only rarely use one, uninstall it for now and only install it again when you need to use it again and uninstall it afterwards (for example).

The other option is somewhat more complicated and, in the worst case, could result in lost data (so before doing this one, be sure to back-up all important files). And that option is to resize your partitions (e.g. Since your personal files are on a separate /DATA partition, your /home partition is much too large. You are only using 37% of it. You could reduce its size by say 5 GB and expand the root partition by that 5 GB. Or reduce /DATA by 5-10 GB and expand root by that 5-10 GB. Or any combination of those.). But if you decide to resize, be sure you know how to do this (if unsure there might be some posting or tutorial in the forum to guide you, or just ask here if there are none). For example, NEVER change the size of any mounted partition. The safest way is to boot into a live USB session (so none of the partitions on your HDD/SSD are mounted) and use the excellent program gparted to resize your partitions on the HDD/SSD.

Which option is best? That cannot really be definitively answered, but personally I would start with the first option and see how much space you can gain. If it is little or nothing, then back up your important data and do the second option.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline ogopogo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 11:56:13 pm »
Hi Slim,     Thank you for your answer.

Reducing the size of the /home partition sounds to me the best solution as I use most of the programs that I have installed and keep up with nixing those that are just sitting there idle.

I am quite comfortable using gparted so things are looking good.  Appreciate your help!   :)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 03:36:44 am »
Hi ogopogo,

No problem, mate! Your decision sounds like the right one to me, so if you are clear about how to do it, then go for it!  8)

Regards,

-- Slim